Learning Portuguese after taking up BJJ- Discussion

I am learning Portuguese right now. Where I train there are about a 1/2 dozen Brazilians that are really friendly and more than willing to correct my pronounciation or usage issues.

I started with Pimsleur -- the Seattle Library has a TON of Pimsleur and presumably Rosetta Stone available, so I'd guess most big public libraries do, so cost shouldn't be an issue for those of you near one -- and it's been great. Of course it's not going to teach me colloquial Portuguese but it at least establishes a foundation from which you can build. It's a total of 45 hours of instruction.

My GF and I are learning this together and we found a good tutor on CraigsList that is only $35 for an hour for both of us. Between BJJ, tutor, and Pimsleur we're picking up the language surprisingly fast, and really the only cost is the tutor since Pimsleur was free (library) and we're already paying for BJJ.

I would STRONGLY recommend against using written materials for the first few hours of instruction. The pronounciation of words is very, very different from English at times, and if you visualize the words first you'll end up developing a strong English accent.

It's pretty eye opening saying stuff for a few weeks then seeing how it's spelled totally differently than you'd think.

rosetta stone is the best program to learn another language. im learning Brazilian Portuguese with it and it is the awesome.

Excellent thread with a lot of good ideas - especially about taking advantage of public resources.

I started teaching myself on Orkut (Brazilian myspace) a little over a year and a half ago now. Listened to music while I slept, used google translate a lot until I figured out grammar and sentence structure, and there's a ton of people on My Happy Planet | Learn & Practice English, French, Spanish and More with Partners Around the World that are willing to write back and forth on MSN. Also I read Globo a lot.

At this point I'm fluent, although with lots of struggles. I don't have an American accent, but it's not quite Brazilian. A lot of the Brazilians I talk to ask me if I'm Portuguese (aka from Portugal). It's a really, really hard language to learn but worth it in the end. I did it to not get screwed over at tournaments and because I wanted to train/work in Brazil.

Reference vid, after 1 1/4 years. I still say "uh" a lot.
Intheguard.tv - Not

Language learning in general is a subject I am very interested in, as much as, if not more than, grappling. I'm not an expert on Portuguese though.

My, er, two centavos.

Start with a basic course that has lots of audio. If you rush into reading and writing, your pronunciation is going to suck horribly.

Pimsleur is a good in that it's audio and it will help you pick up correct pronunciation from native speakers. It will NOT give you a good understanding of grammar or bring you anywhere close to fluency but it is vital that you don't start off with a horrible English accent. I have listened to all the Pimsleur Portuguese courses - it's easy to do when washing up, jogging, catching the train etc. I DON'T recommend buying the Pimsleur courses but if you can get hold of them, they're a good start. My local library seems to stock pretty much all the Pimsleur courses.

A guy called Michel Thomas did some really excellent courses in French, German, Italian and Spanish. His associates produced courses for other languages using his method. They're not as good as the originals, which in my opinion were AMAZING, but they are good. There's a basic course and and advanced course and you'll need both. I have done the basic Portuguese course but not the advanced. However, I have done the French, Spanish, German and Italian courses and the format is pretty similar. They WON"T give you much vocab but they'll give you a GREAT understanding of the verbs which is crucial. It's quite a different approach to Pimsleur. LOVE these courses. Michel Thomas was the man.

FSI is available for free on the net and as far as I know is legal! On the downside, it's pretty heavy going, it seems to be designed for would-be diplomats studying all day every day and it certainly ain't pretty. However, I've heard a lot of good things about the course. You should be able to download the course here.

FSI Language Courses - Portuguese

I don't have much experience with Rosetta, Assimil, Teach Yourself etc. There are a myriad of courses out there. As I said, the important thing is to start off with plenty of listening so that you don't mangle the pronunciation too badly.

Once you get started on a course I recommend that you start using an SRS program like Mnemosyne or Anki. These are flashcard programs that test you on vocabulary or whatever you want to learn. I mostly use Mnemosyne because of its simplicity but I believe Anki is actually a more powerful and versatile program. I have both loaded onto a USB stick so I can practice anywhere I have access to a computer.

Spaced repetition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to the Mnemosyne Project | The Mnemosyne Project

Anki - friendly, intelligent flashcards

You can download pre-made decks or make your own. It's up to you.

So, say you were doing Pimsleur, you might want to put the sentences you feel are useful into your SRS and review them until you know them. Of course, you are not limited to that and you can grab sentences from wherever. A word of warning, it's not wise to overdo it with SRS - limit yourself to about 10 new sentences per day or you might burnout. I usually do about 250 cards per day on these programs.

There are Pimsleur Portuguese transcripts out there on the net - they're not easy to find though.

Once you've reached a certain level, i.e. completed a couple of basic courses, got a few hundred sentences in your SRS program, I think it's best to start tackling Portuguese audiobooks and parallel texts. I use audiobooks by reading the English version of a book, say, something by Dan Brown, while listening to the language I want to learn. You are not going to understand everything but it does wonders for your listening comprehension and helps to reinforce what you know.

If you can get hold of a parallel text with audio, this is ideal! You can do what I described above whilst checking unknown words against the Portuguese.

If you just have a parallel text, well, that's a good way to study but beware of ingraining bad habits regarding pronunciation. For the last time, it's REALLY important.

After you've done a few books, it's really time to hunt down a conversation partner. There's plenty of places to find language exchange partners on the net. You want someone helpful who will give you feedback on your mistakes and not just try and speak in English. Avoid language leeches like this like you would grappling partners with ringworm! Oh, and you don't need to pay people to teach you! It's absolutely unnecessary when there's so many people out there who want to learn English.

Other good websites:

Language Learning Forum
(This is like the Sherdog of Language forums)

All Japanese All The Time Dot Com: How to learn Japanese. On your own, having fun and to fluency. About
(Has really good advice concerning how to approach language study)

Things I do NOT do while learning languages: anything boring, read books aimed at young children, spend ages looking at dictionaries (I hate dictionaries)...

I hope this has given you some ideas! The key thing to learning any language on your own is resources. Fortunately, the net is full of great stuff.

Anyone who's learning or interested in learning Japanese, Spanish, Italian, French or Portuguese, what the hell, even Korean, feel free to PM me.

There is no substitute for structured learning Portuguese in a classroom environment.

That being said there are a lot of resources online (free). Don't waste your money on Rosetta or Pimsleur.

This site is an excellent free resource.
T

rosetta stone is really good for pronunciation and for being able to associate an image with the word, instead of seeing an image and translating from english to protuguese.

it is very expensive unless you went to a bay that pirates stayed at.

as far as grammar goes, not so good.

I started teaching myself on Orkut (Brazilian myspace) a little over a year and a half ago now. Listened to music while I slept, used google translate a lot until I figured out grammar and sentence structure, and there's a ton of people on My Happy Planet | Learn & Practice English, French, Spanish and More with Partners Around the World that are willing to write back and forth on MSN. Also I read Globo a lot.

At this point I'm fluent, although with lots of struggles. I don't have an American accent, but it's not quite Brazilian. A lot of the Brazilians I talk to ask me if I'm Portuguese (aka from Portugal). It's a really, really hard language to learn but worth it in the end. I did it to not get screwed over at tournaments and because I wanted to train/work in Brazil.

Reference vid, after 1 1/4 years. I still say "uh" a lot.
Intheguard.tv - Not

Language learning in general is a subject I am very interested in, as much as, if not more than, grappling. I'm not an expert on Portuguese though.

My, er, two centavos.

Start with a basic course that has lots of audio. If you rush into reading and writing, your pronunciation is going to suck horribly.

Pimsleur is a good in that it's audio and it will help you pick up correct pronunciation from native speakers. It will NOT give you a good understanding of grammar or bring you anywhere close to fluency but it is vital that you don't start off with a horrible English accent. I have listened to all the Pimsleur Portuguese courses - it's easy to do when washing up, jogging, catching the train etc. I DON'T recommend buying the Pimsleur courses but if you can get hold of them, they're a good start. My local library seems to stock pretty much all the Pimsleur courses.

A guy called Michel Thomas did some really excellent courses in French, German, Italian and Spanish. His associates produced courses for other languages using his method. They're not as good as the originals, which in my opinion were AMAZING, but they are good. There's a basic course and and advanced course and you'll need both. I have done the basic Portuguese course but not the advanced. However, I have done the French, Spanish, German and Italian courses and the format is pretty similar. They WON"T give you much vocab but they'll give you a GREAT understanding of the verbs which is crucial. It's quite a different approach to Pimsleur. LOVE these courses. Michel Thomas was the man.

FSI is available for free on the net and as far as I know is legal! On the downside, it's pretty heavy going, it seems to be designed for would-be diplomats studying all day every day and it certainly ain't pretty. However, I've heard a lot of good things about the course. You should be able to download the course here.

FSI Language Courses - Portuguese

I don't have much experience with Rosetta, Assimil, Teach Yourself etc. There are a myriad of courses out there. As I said, the important thing is to start off with plenty of listening so that you don't mangle the pronunciation too badly.

Once you get started on a course I recommend that you start using an SRS program like Mnemosyne or Anki. These are flashcard programs that test you on vocabulary or whatever you want to learn. I mostly use Mnemosyne because of its simplicity but I believe Anki is actually a more powerful and versatile program. I have both loaded onto a USB stick so I can practice anywhere I have access to a computer.

Spaced repetition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to the Mnemosyne Project | The Mnemosyne Project

Anki - friendly, intelligent flashcards

You can download pre-made decks or make your own. It's up to you.

So, say you were doing Pimsleur, you might want to put the sentences you feel are useful into your SRS and review them until you know them. Of course, you are not limited to that and you can grab sentences from wherever. A word of warning, it's not wise to overdo it with SRS - limit yourself to about 10 new sentences per day or you might burnout. I usually do about 250 cards per day on these programs.

There are Pimsleur Portuguese transcripts out there on the net - they're not easy to find though.

Once you've reached a certain level, i.e. completed a couple of basic courses, got a few hundred sentences in your SRS program, I think it's best to start tackling Portuguese audiobooks and parallel texts. I use audiobooks by reading the English version of a book, say, something by Dan Brown, while listening to the language I want to learn. You are not going to understand everything but it does wonders for your listening comprehension and helps to reinforce what you know.

If you can get hold of a parallel text with audio, this is ideal! You can do what I described above whilst checking unknown words against the Portuguese.

If you just have a parallel text, well, that's a good way to study but beware of ingraining bad habits regarding pronunciation. For the last time, it's REALLY important.

After you've done a few books, it's really time to hunt down a conversation partner. There's plenty of places to find language exchange partners on the net. You want someone helpful who will give you feedback on your mistakes and not just try and speak in English. Avoid language leeches like this like you would grappling partners with ringworm! Oh, and you don't need to pay people to teach you! It's absolutely unnecessary when there's so many people out there who want to learn English.

Other good websites:

Language Learning Forum
(This is like the Sherdog of Language forums)

All Japanese All The Time Dot Com: How to learn Japanese. On your own, having fun and to fluency. About
(Has really good advice concerning how to approach language study)

Things I do NOT do while learning languages: anything boring, read books aimed at young children, spend ages looking at dictionaries (I hate dictionaries)...

I hope this has given you some ideas! The key thing to learning any language on your own is resources. Fortunately, the net is full of great stuff.

Anyone who's learning or interested in learning Japanese, Spanish, Italian, French or Portuguese, what the hell, even Korean, feel free to PM me.
Wow. good stuff. Thanks!

Is this true? lol

"And yes, Brazilians do think of Halls Mentho-Lyptus as candy!"

T

Damn...If I could get even remotely that good I would be happy.

Did you supplement with any audio tapes or any similar learning resources?

Anything specific that really helped? Besides, obviously, you traveling to Brazil haha

Nah, never used legitimate learning resources. I studied Spanish for 6 years in junior high/high school with all the "methods" and never learned a damn thing. I can't speak a word of Spanish. I thought since I was going to go talk to people on the streets, not say "the book is on the table," that I should watch movies, news, real life things. Seemed to work. I have a couple grammatical errors but the percentage of Brazilians who speak all true grammatically correct Portuguese is reserved for the educated elite only. It's a language with something like 28 verb tenses.

And yeah, halls are candy. It's silly. But you get used to it, they have a lot of good flavors there. Also, "crocante" is some sort of crunchy little chocolate thingy they put in some of their chocolate and some milkshakes. Most delicious thing ever.

I recommend you start lurking at www.portaldovt.com.br and the forums there. The Vale Tudo and Grappling boards will really help you on your bjj/mma Portuguese and the Off Topic section, well you'll just see a lot of nudes of Brazo chicks. I post there on the regular, and a lot of times the guys will send me messages politely correcting some of my mistakes. I wouldn't actually post, however, until you can read and write without using a translator. But lurking would be good for you.

Nah, never used legitimate learning resources. I studied Spanish for 6 years in junior high/high school with all the "methods" and never learned a damn thing. I can't speak a word of Spanish. I thought since I was going to go talk to people on the streets, not say "the book is on the table," that I should watch movies, news, real life things. Seemed to work. I have a couple grammatical errors but the percentage of Brazilians who speak all true grammatically correct Portuguese is reserved for the educated elite only. It's a language with something like 28 verb tenses.

And yeah, halls are candy. It's silly. But you get used to it, they have a lot of good flavors there. Also, "crocante" is some sort of crunchy little chocolate thingy they put in some of their chocolate and some milkshakes. Most delicious thing ever.

I recommend you start lurking at www.portaldovt.com.br and the forums there. The Vale Tudo and Grappling boards will really help you on your bjj/mma Portuguese and the Off Topic section, well you'll just see a lot of nudes of Brazo chicks. I post there on the regular, and a lot of times the guys will send me messages politely correcting some of my mistakes. I wouldn't actually post, however, until you can read and write without using a translator. But lurking would be good for you.

Will do. :)

Quick question if you don't mind, I keep trying to use the word "but" in my sentences except I cannot really find what is the correct pronounciation...one source I have sounds like mize (M-eyes) and the other sounds a bit like mas...and sometimes they use both on the same damn instructional! :(

And listening to the instructional gets hilarious..because who really talks like that anyway?

it's like... (pardon the spelling, I haven't practiced reading or writing only speaking)

Con li sensa senora. A senora intienge englais? gi ongi senora e? a senora sabe ongi fica hestaurante.....

all in fragments and addressing the person everytime...I'm gonna end up talking like a robot....

Everyone learns differently but I personally think the best way is to meet a Brazilian woman (if you dont have a girlfriend or wife).

Seriously linking women with language learning is an AWESOME way to succeed.

and keep in mind that little bit of Portuguese goes a long way. You'll be functional fairly quickly but it takes a good bit longer to master. The most annoying thing is in English we have 1 word that means 10 things in Portuguese they have 10 words for 1 thing. It can be more than mildly frustrating.

Good luck let me know how it goes.

I am portuguese myself. I read that portuguese is the second most dificult language to learn, after chinese to non latin people.

It's really easy to learn Brazilian. Just say "Now what I'm gon do." and narrate yourself, before you do something. stretch the 'H" sounds and don't use "Rs" . Basic situation that you might encounter in Rio:

Sales girl: That will be 25.00 dollars please sir.
You: Now what Im gon do. I reach hee into my lapea and poo outch my wallet. I puu out my debit ca-ad, and with constant preeesh between my fingers to not drop, I give hee mai ca-ad. Then with constant preesh I press my piin numbe.
Sales girl: Ahh I see...
You: Thank you my frien.
Sales Girl: Obrigato...
You: BOA!!!! *at the top of your lungs

There you go: Brazilian 101.

hey TS I started with Pimsleur too 4 years ago - getting through 30 volumes on their 1st set and you will have a very good (but basic vocab)

I now use other websites to help my writing and I am always watching brazilian tv on justin tv streams to help with my listening.

It's really easy to learn Brazilian. Just say "Now what I'm gon do." and narrate yourself, before you do something. stretch the 'H" sounds and don't use "Rs" . Basic situation that you might encounter in Rio:
There you go: Brazilian 101.

not enough swearing in there to get by!!!:icon_twis

Cop pulls you over;

You: hello my frien:
Cop: "You know I'm going to have to give you a ticket for going 35 over the limit."
You: Now what Im gon do?
Cop: Err pay the ticket and drive slower?
YOu: AII! You cock! You ***got. You balls. You cock!
Cop: what??!
You: Ehh , Thank you my frien.

There is no substitute for structured learning Portuguese in a classroom environment.

That being said there are a lot of resources online (free). Don't waste your money on Rosetta or Pimsleur.

This site is an excellent free resource.
T

Back