Learning Portuguese after taking up BJJ- Discussion

I've been contemplating learning too. It's a goal of mine to go to Brazil for a couple months to train and experience the lifestyle over there.. so some Portuguese would go a long way in making the experience.

my mom said she would pay 4 me go 2 college there and train there.
So im thinking about going but idk cuz well i don't know any of the language.

I was there for 4 months and my portuguese can be pretty decent or very bad depending on who I talk to. Some people just dont seem to get that they need to speak slow and simple with me. In general they understand everything I say though and I can understand a majority of the things I read.
People there (in Rio) are very helpful so that you can get around without portuguese, and learn as your there. Of course the more you know the better but you should not hestitate to go because of it.

So from people who have tried them, would you recommend pimsleur over rosetta in general? I like rosetta just because I remember it better when I read it.

yeah the pimsleur deal is pretty pricey, but as discussed its pretty easy to find 'heavily discounted', like most things.
I was tempted to try a few at once like rosetta, but the pimsleur system is based around a timed recall system (ie how regularly you need to be reminded of something til you remember it) and they strongly suggest not mixing it with other sources.

Pimsleur works for me because i learn when traveling to and from work, i might not have time to do as much study on a more visual system.

But i'd love the hear about rosetta, and ive heard the FSI system is good, if a little stiff.

a great way to learn portoguese is to subscribe to the graciemag. they have their articles in both english and ports.

I've been trying to pick up some myself, although I have been kind of slack with it lately. I got the Rosetta Stone program, which seems pretty good, but I'm not that far into it yet. I'm planning on taking my first trip to Brazil next year, so hopefully, I can get the basics down by then.

is there any visual part to pimsleur? because what i have seems to be all audio.

I just started using Rosetta Stone. I think it has a very effective teaching style, I'd recommend it.

Pimsleur is a good program. Usually in between $275-$325;

Obviously, the best way to learn is to hear it and use it. Immerse yourself.

Find a Brazilian restaurant and ask (in Brasi-portuguese) to only be spoken to in Portuguese...

Rosetta Stone is pretty good. If you can afford it. I used the Spanish-Latin America version. Great Program. I took two semesters of Spanish and still felt like I didn't learn anything. Ten years later Rosetta Stone did a great job of reviewing and relearning Spanish. Would I recommend it? YES! Would I buy another one? Don't Know. Only if I could find a heavily discounted one.

$295 for pimsleur?!

Fuck that. I would have considered $50, Maybe even 100, but almost $300? ridiculous. I'd love to learn the language but my college doesn't offer it and I am a broke college student...and that is a crazy price.

a shady looking untrustworthy character said something to me about this and other languages being available for free on bittorrent or usenet. i dont know what those words mean though, honest.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to find this stuff at your local library. I got both the Pimsleur AND Rosetta Stone Portuguese sets from there and simply make cd copies.

Back