• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Last night's fight = Proof that Fedor time Pride HW Division was vastly superior to modern UFC HW

Well Chael himself was probably past his best by that point and was never that great a submission fighter but still that performance is lightyears away from classic Fedor, its vastly sloppier with Chael having several chances to escape were as a prime Fedor would probably have tossed him and subbed him in under a min.
Not to mention Chael was like the 7th or 8th MW/LHW that Fedor fought (Lindland, Hendo, Babalu, Arona, Maldanado, Randleman, etc.)

Todays HW's are giants with skill. Fedor is better of fighting at welterweight in todays era.

Are you saying that because Ngannou and Cormier are both retired/out of the UFC?

I think Ngannou/Cormier/Stipe/Jones/Blaydes/Aspinall beat the fuck out of those PRIDE guys IMO - that's not even counting up and comers like Pavlovich/Spivac/Almeida either.

It may appear that way now that Pride has been gone for almost 20 years but I know and remember that anyone not named Fedor back then took a loss or 2 in Pride no matter who it was Anderson Silva 3-2, Chuck Liddell 2-1, Ricco Rodriguez 2-1, Royce Gracie took his very first defeat and went 1-2 that's how insane Pride was, also let me remind you that those guys
right now in the HW division are fighting under a very regulated system of rules back in Pride it was 10 minute rounds and stomps/soccer kicks and yellow cards which caused people to take extreme risks so a lot of fights would turn out differently
the UFC is very tame compared to Pride.

All those guys would take losses if they were back then I have no doubt about it and Aspinall is not fully proven yet he has in fact taken a loss before in his career to Stuart Austin so he has weaknesses like anyone else.

It always has been. But shertards always say:

MMA has evolved.
Fedor fought cans.
Everyone was roided.
Fights were rigged.
I watched a fight with Ken Shamrock from 1996 where he took on Brian Johnston at the Ultimate Ultimate 96 and I don't care what anyone has to say but Ken was an absolute monster his GnP was so brutal I don't see anyone wail on an opponent the way he did in that fight nowadays unless its Ngannou or Pavlovich, seriously check out that fight to get an idea of how good the top tier HW's were even back then.

Barnett, Sergei, Aleksandr, Werdum, Herring, Mark Hunt could never make 205. Maybe Fedor, Nog and Cro Cop could have. We only know for sure Coleman and Randleman were able to make 205. Overeem fought at 205 and HW in PRIDE but after PRIDE was bought out he started getting really big and definitely reached a point to where 205 would be impossible.

UFC has had some good heavyweights but never had a division as deep and talented as PRIDE.

Cro Cop had 1000x better takedown defense and submission defense than Cyril Gane.

Nog was a very good boxer and took down almost everyone he ever fought.

Go watch both Nog vs Barnett fights or Nog vs Herring 1 or Nog vs Sergei if you want to see well rounded heavyweights.
Those fights you mention with Nog were wars all of them but I would include the Werdum fight as well Nog boxed his head.

Reactions: shh
fighters now are far more evolved than those guys. back then, getting mounted meant the fight was about to be over. that’s the reason commentators like rogan still make “oh he has full mount” a big deal when 99% of fighters get half guard back or find another way to sweep/scramble from there. it used to mean the end of the fight most of the time. fighters didn’t escape submissions as often, the fundamentals of striking are far better now.

it’s less competitive than it was then, and you still have some low level ufc HW’s for sure (regardless of era) but the elites now shit on the elites of fedor’s era.
No truth to anything your saying and its hilarious because you obviously weren't around to see those fights back then or were too young lol, pretty moronic to be saying such things when there were guys like Nog, Werdum, Barnett, Mir so these guys don't know how to retain guard is what your saying how absurd and totally stupid, no wrong those four are better ground wise than anyone right now in the UFC HW division.

No truth to anything your saying and its hilarious because you obviously weren't around to see those fights back then or were too young lol, pretty moronic to be saying such things when there were guys like Nog, Werdum, Barnett, Mir so these guys don't know how to retain guard is what your saying how absurd and totally stupid, no wrong those four are better ground wise than anyone right now in the UFC HW division.
“you weren’t around back then” said the white belt to the guy who’s been on the site for almost 15 years

<Lmaoo>

“see? these guys were better at retaining guard from being put in dominant position! because i said their names!”

“you weren’t around back then” said the white belt to the guy who’s been on the site for almost 15 years

<Lmaoo>

“see? these guys were better at retaining guard from being put in dominant position! because i said their names!”
Pretty retarded response as if me being a white belt here proves something meanwhile I've had accounts on here for the last 2 decades lol only a complete stooge would think something as childish as that matters.

Pretty retarded response as if me being a white belt here proves something meanwhile I've had accounts on here for the last 2 decades lol only a complete stooge would think something as childish as that matters.
not you snitching on yourself unprompted <Lmaoo> enjoy the ban, troll

With a surname like that you're probably sliding into everyone's DMs!

Fedor is dead. You need to move on. Seek psychological help. Reach out for assistance, my friend.

Cope harder.

Fedor is alive and well.

Meanwhile Ali is dead and still considered GOAT boxer cuz normal people know the difference between someone in their prime and someone who has declined

Reactions: HHJ
Not to mention Chael was like the 7th or 8th MW/LHW that Fedor fought (Lindland, Hendo, Babalu, Arona, Maldanado, Randleman, etc.)
Unlike Jon Jones though these are not wins his legacy his built on like Rashad and Machida.

The difference between a small HW occasionally fighting an opponent of similar or smaller size and a massive LHW spending much of his career fighting smaller opponents and going to a sucession of essentially drawn fights against guys his own size.

Last edited:
How superior technique is related to doping? It’s actually the opposite here, UFC brought about the new breed silliness, WWE fighters. Pride HW were skilled martial artists/competitive wrestlers
this is how you tell someone that you don’t actually know anything about pride without actually saying it.

Unlike Jon Jones though these are not wins his legacy his built on like Rashad and Machida.

The difference between a small HW occasionally fighting an opponent of similar or smaller size and a massive LHW spending much of his career fighting smaller opponents and going to a sucession of essentially drawn fights against guys his own size.

This post no makes no sense.

Are you saying Fedor had drawn fights at the end of his career against smaller guys ie. Henderson ?

He was knocked out by Henderson brutally losing, followed by consecutive losses.

Who are you talking about?

This post no makes no sense.

Are you saying Fedor had drawn fights at the end of his career against smaller guys ie. Henderson ?

He was knocked out by Henderson brutally losing, followed by consecutive losses.

Who are you talking about?
I'm saying one guy fought smaller opponents or guys his own size at best and the other fought mostly guys his size or bigger men with a handful of smaller opponents yet somehow its the latter guy who gets criticized for it.

We were robbed with Prime Fedor vs Prime Kharitonov(when he was still a full-time Sambo fighter, not some boxer fighting kick boxing matches)

Well it is pretty obvious that HW has always been poor, but that the level of skill amongst the elite was better back in Pride. Jones, Cain, JDS - all three would have been #1 or at the very top in all HW eras, but I think Pride generally had a higher concentration of elite skill. Ngannou would have of course been dangerous but he's still riding that puncher's chance rather than diverse skill set. Someone mentioned Pavlovich, Almeida - first one got KTFO by Overeem, second one is basically beating up cans but has yet to fight a good HW.

I'm not seeing why Gonzaga beating Crocop is a sign that the 00's era of HW was somehow worse than today, Gonzaga I think is a good sign of the greater depth of high level talent around then compared to now, he was flakey but on the night he had the potential to be very high level.

It used to be that top 10 meant something at HW, it was a sign a fighter had elite skill were as today I think just decent big guys with some power get there, someone like 00's Goodridge today would likely have been top 10 for years.

We were robbed with Prime Fedor vs Prime Kharitonov(when he was still a full-time Sambo fighter, not some boxer fighting kick boxing matches)
Unfortunatley just about the time they would make this fight he got bad shoulder injuries that cost him key fights and put him on the shelf. Or say if he would have beaten Aleks they could have done it. That loss kinda killed the Fedor v Sergei fight.

Back