Lasik. ..Who's had it?

kahiljabroni

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
My wife and I are both considering getting our eyes lasered. My sister had it done about 5 years ago and swears by it. I've heard a few horror stories but I'd really like to hear from those who've had it done and recently. Apparently the price has dropped alot and my insurance will cover 20%.

I had PRK and would recommend it to anyone

I had PRK surgery done at UCLA just over 9 years ago. I'm not blind yet so I highly recommend it!

If you do go through with it then the worst that will probably happen to you is dry eyes and halos.

I'm not going to do it. If you're unlucky you are in for a world of shit. A guy at work did it and suffered like a dog from eye pain, had to leave work.

It isn't compatible with everyone.

I had it done 4 years ago, and I would recommend it. It cost me about $1000 per eye at the time.

The only downside is the occasional dry eyes I get, but nothing some lubricant eye drops won't fix.

I'm not going to do it. If you're unlucky you are in for a world of shit. A guy at work did it and suffered like a dog from eye pain, had to leave work.

It isn't compatible with everyone.

^^^If you want to live with glasses go ahead. The truth is, this type of surgery has one of the highest success rates.

Can you elaborate? Is Prk a type of lasik? How much? Recovery? Results? Etc
Started with 20/400 vision. I have 20/15 now. PRK is a laser eye surgery, but they don't make an incision on your eye. They scrape the cornea away instead, use the laser, and then it grows back. It takes about a month to fully heal, and the healing sucks a lot. Once you heal, you're totally good to go.

LASIK heals much quicker, and it's the same laser, so it's equally as effective. However, they make a flap in the cornea, and it never fully heals. So you can never skydive, scuba dive, get hit in the head, or anything else that's fun. I don't recommend this surgery for active people.

^^^If you want to live with glasses go ahead. The truth is, this type of surgery has one of the highest success rates.
PRK/LASIK is an invasive procedure and like any other surgery have their own set of complications which include regression, keractesia, thin flap, amputated flap, interface scarring etc.

As you age you tend to have problems even if the surgery was successful.

I don't mind if it's a one time thing but don't want problems down the road.

You can only get it once and it doesn't last forever. Mine lasted about 8-10 years. Would surely need glasses again, but don't bother at this stage as I don't need to read things in the distance for any real reason other than convenience and if I'm driving in unknown city/area I use GPS so street sign/exit sign reading not really an issue.

Got mine when I was 18ish, I probably wouldn't get it now for the firs time making that choice as I wouldn't risk complications for an elective procedure. Only side effect I have from the original was/is night driving halo's around lights. But you hear too many horror stories and potential complications for me to choose to take the risk now.

Last edited:
I had LASIK done when I was 20, would definitely recommend

you left out what happens years down the road
i had a prk back in 2004
a revision in 2007
another revision in 2010
and now im no longer a candidate and have to wear reading glasses the rest of my life
i have poor night driving vision (halos night blindness)

and went from being nearsighted to farsighted (which means i cannot see anything close up anymore which blows)
as you age the vision correction tends to fade and your vision goes out again requiring revisions
i wish i never did it

FYI i went to the best Drs in nyc and saw the same people who did tiger woods
in b4 someone says i went to a discount place... i paid 5k

Few things in life are worth the price. LASIK is one of them.

i've thought about it. though the question i have, is will your vision become bad over time if you look at computer monitors for long periods of time? i work in i.t. and i would imagine that my vision would get worse because of my occupation.

please for the love of god
goto a neuro opthamologist not some optometrist or other hack
a neuro is the highest trained and its your eyes man you want the best person for the job

If you do go through with it then the worst that will probably happen to you is dry eyes and halos.

Is this permanent or does it only happen for a while following surgery?

i've thought about it. though the question i have, is will your vision become bad over time if you look at computer monitors for long periods of time? i work in i.t. and i would imagine that my vision would get worse because of my occupation.

there are no guarantees odds are you will need a revision ..not trying to scare you but i would take it back if i could

To those who've had it done, how horrible is it as they're cutting the cornea and flapping it over? Is there an insatiable desire to close your eyes? Is it painful as it's happening?

Why don't they mildly sedate you (to the point where you're basically start to fall asleep) during the procedure? I've heard you're awake during.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back