Lasik. ..Who's had it?

At 18, your eyes are still changing. Waiting until your 20's is a good rule of thumb for this.

Only requirement at the time was something like your prescription didn't changed in 2 years or something. I might have been a bit older thinking about it because I don't think I got the surgery in HS, maybe it was the summer between HS and college. This was back in late 1990's when Lasik was pretty new.

There's been no scientific evidence to support any claims that it degrades over time that I've seen
Really, I thought it was generally accepted. I knew it did when I got it, though at the time thought I could just get it again. I know four people that got it, counting myself, and all are to the point where they need glasses again.

I did it, has done wonders for my social life. It is worth it in my opinion. Glasses just make you look dorky.

Is this permanent or does it only happen for a while following surgery?

It's different for everybody. I still need eye drops from time to time but it doesn't happen too often. I have slight halos but I don't really notice it anymore. It's more apparent in those first few months after surgery.

8-10 yrs is the usual timeline for it to fade

It's been 9 years here and haven't noticed anything. I was told I'd probably need reading glasses when I hit my 40s but that's it. I'm 32 right now.

Thanks guys for scaring me. I was considering get it done but now I'm going to stay as four eyes forever

It's really not that bad. The only trippy part is the burning smell when they're using the lazer.

That was pretty much the same reason why I stopped wearing contacts because the past year or so my eyes have been drying up using them making them either itchy or I feel some discomfort. I hadn't worn glasses for 20 years but I was pleasantly by the options and styles I can choose from. The options way back then made you look like Urkel. The one that I have chosen tints up when explosed to sunlight so at least it makes it much cooler to wear
<13>

Same here...I didn't wear glasses in public for 20 years. I've got a nice pair that I don't hate wearing but I'd much rather not.
No offense but those transition glasses have been around forever. I had them when I was around 11 and I looked like a total dork.

Really, I thought it was generally accepted. I knew it did when I got it, though at the time thought I could just get it again. I know four people that got it, counting myself, and all are to the point where they need glasses again.
Yeah, the science has evolved. I was told that the requirement was no eye change for 5 years minimum and that the results would be permanent. My eyes will still degrade like any aging person, so I can potentially get one touch up in my life. That depends on my eyes at the time though, so it's not a definite thing.

My vision is fucked and it's getting worse. I'm farsighted and I have convergence insufficiency, which causes double vision and headaches. Not to mention it's really hard to read sometimes and unfortunately it's getting worse. My doctor told me to do some really expensive exercises at his clinic but I can't afford it so yay me

Back