Lasik. ..Who's had it?

To those who've had it done, how horrible is it as they're cutting the cornea and flapping it over? Is there an insatiable desire to close your eyes? Is it painful as it's happening?

Why don't they mildly sedate you (to the point where you're basically start to fall asleep) during the procedure? I've heard you're awake during.

they numb your eyes but its fucking terrible
like a cigar cutter slowly dragging across your eye and you feel "something" ugh.... they also pry your eyes open with metal frames (clockwork orange style)

just like this
2955164-1786099045-clock.jpg

I don't remember feeling the actual flap cutting. You are given a sedative, and then drops are put in your eye. But as mentioned your eye is help wide open by the Clockwork-esque gimmick, but all I felt was a bit of pressure on the eye ball and it does dark for a second or two (blade cutting through and blocking light in hindsight) and then you see the flap opened. Then you see the red light which is really the laser as it shapes things, there is a bit of smell, and then when done you see the flap flipped back over your eye and drops put in IIRC and then on to the next eye. I remember going home and going to bed and waking up a couple hours later with perfect vision. Noticed night vision halo's a bit later on, wasn't much of a concern though I know it can be disqualifying for some careers.

Thanks guys for scaring me. I was considering get it done but now I'm going to stay as four eyes forever

I had Lasik. Would recommend. Pain was pretty manageable. Irritating at worst. The highlight during the procedure for me was when you temporarily go blind and think, "Holy shit they fucked up!"

Thanks guys for scaring me. I was considering get it done but now I'm going to stay as four eyes forever

if i could do one thing over it would be not getting it done

if i could do one thing over it would be not getting it done
Thanks very much. Besides the farsightedness to fix your vision, what other complications have you encountered that makes it worse off now than had you not had the LES?

i've thought about it. though the question i have, is will your vision become bad over time if you look at computer monitors for long periods of time? i work in i.t. and i would imagine that my vision would get worse because of my occupation.

Then go to the optomotrist after the surgery and get some glasses to wear while at work.

Thanks very much. Besides the farsightedness to fix your vision, what other complications have you encountered that makes it worse off now than had you not had the LES?
halos at night around any lights (near night blindness from oncoming cars) making really bad to drive at night (wife usually does) and just a general overall feeling of regret

Then go to the optomotrist after the surgery and get some glasses to wear while at work.

yeah, i've been getting by on glasses for a while. i don't mind it, to be honest.

You can only get it once and it doesn't last forever. Mine lasted about 8-10 years. Would surely need glasses again, but don't bother at this stage as I don't need to read things in the distance for any real reason other than convenience and if I'm driving in unknown city/area I use GPS so street sign/exit sign reading not really an issue.

Got mine when I was 18ish, I probably wouldn't get it now for the firs time making that choice as I wouldn't risk complications for an elective procedure. Only side effect I have from the original was/is night driving halo's around lights. But you hear too many horror stories and potential complications for me to choose to take the risk now.
At 18, your eyes are still changing. Waiting until your 20's is a good rule of thumb for this.

To those who've had it done, how horrible is it as they're cutting the cornea and flapping it over? Is there an insatiable desire to close your eyes? Is it painful as it's happening?

Why don't they mildly sedate you (to the point where you're basically start to fall asleep) during the procedure? I've heard you're awake during.
It's not bad at all. It's scary to look at, but it really doesn't hurt at all. It's a weird pressure, but nothing hurts. The first few days of recovery hurt if you don't take the pain meds though.

Thanks for the feedback. I wore contacts for 20 years and in the last year or so I've stopped wearing them. They never feel comfortable and make my eyes dry AF. Now I wear my glasses and still have dry eye.. drops help some. I'm sick of of contacts and glasses...I spend at least 2-3 hundred a year on my eyes as is so financially it makes sense to get it. Even if I have to go back to glasses in 8 years they'll be much thinner.

Source? My doctors said differently. It's been about 6 years, and I've had nothing but positive experiences.
I'll check back again in 4 years. I hope your eyes don't pop out like a pug by then

Thanks for the feedback. I wore contacts for 20 years and in the last year or so I've stopped wearing them. They never feel comfortable and make my eyes dry AF. Now I wear my glasses and still have dry eye.. drops help some. I'm sick of of contacts and glasses...I spend at least 2-3 hundred a year on my eyes as is so financially it makes sense to get it. Even if I have to go back to glasses in 8 years they'll be much thinner.
That was pretty much the same reason why I stopped wearing contacts because the past year or so my eyes have been drying up using them making them either itchy or I feel some discomfort. I hadn't worn glasses for 20 years but I was pleasantly by the options and styles I can choose from. The options way back then made you look like Urkel. The one that I have chosen tints up when explosed to sunlight so at least it makes it much cooler to wear
<13>

I'll check back again in 4 years. I hope your eyes don't pop out like a pug by then
There's been no scientific evidence to support any claims that it degrades over time that I've seen

Back