Larry Holmes Kicked Out Of Hall Of Fame!

He's going to be inducted no matter what. He just got rejected from the ceremony. You think the boxing public would tolerate such a moronic decision: to deny a top 5 great heavyweight from entering the HOF because he didn't want to sign autographs? Don't be an obtuse, ignorant noob.

of course they wouldnt keep him out idiot, what i mean is that its a big occassion for him and family. why not sign a few and then be done with it walk away knowing you have completed your legacy. not sit at home and get a letter saying congrats you were inducted but sorry you could not be there. If the HOF were gonna be petty about it, why should he.

of course they wouldnt keep him out, what i mean is that its a big occassion for him and family. why not sign a few and then be done with it walk away knowing you have completed your legacy. not sit at home and get a letter saying congrats you were inducted but sorry you could not be there. If the HOF were gonna be petty about it, why should he.

See how much less ignorant this sounds when you subtract just one word? The name calling really reflects on you more than the object of your ire. Don't make yourself look like a fool unless that's the way you want to be perceived.

See how much less ignorant this sounds when you subtract just one word? The name calling really reflects on you more than the object of your ire. Don't make yourself look like a fool unless that's the way you want to be perceived.
Took me forever to figure out which word, but for the record it was because I started from the back, instead of working my way from the front of the paragraph, and of course when I finally got back up to 'idiot', I rightly knew, and understood, the object of your criticism.

Although Holmes initially complied, after signing just a few gloves Holmes allegedly said "Fuck this, I'm not doing this shit".

Larry ftw.

of course they wouldnt keep him out idiot, what i mean is that its a big occassion for him and family. why not sign a few and then be done with it walk away knowing you have completed your legacy. not sit at home and get a letter saying congrats you were inducted but sorry you could not be there. If the HOF were gonna be petty about it, why should he.

I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Next time, you should sit down for a minute so you can articulate your thoughts properly. Induction could be ceremonial installation or pure admittance. I don't want to argue about the semantics and divergence of a definition. But seriously... After seeing your first post, the word "Cretin" and other similar descriptives came to mind. That of course lead to my assessment of your thought process.

Larry Holmes at his 1978-1982 peak was a top 10 HW but that said I see the following beating him:

Muhammed Ali

Mike Tyson

Joe Frazier

Lennox Lewis

Jou Louis

Jack Dempsey.

George Foreman (1970s version)

Rocky Marciano.

Razor Ruddock 1990-1991 version.

Posted by shaolin bushido "Plus when Foreman showed up he looked intimidating, had awesome power and bascially had a dominating aura similar to Tysons'.

Frazier was viewed as a small heavyweight entering the pros, who's chances of success were decidedly less than Foremans'.

When they finally met, the outcome was "proof" of what they were saying all along.

For the record, I concur that Foreman was the better fighter overall and matchup wise vs Frazier.

And Joe Frazier was just as intimidating and similar to Tyson.

I dont know where u get the "Joe was viewed as a small heavyweight entering the pros, who's chances of success were decidedly less than Foremans'. Were u around in 64? Joe was a olympic gold medalist just like foreman and it was foreman who was less celebrated than joe in the initial stages of their careers. Just look at the odds which said Frazier would beat Foreman before their HW title fight.

The outcome was not "proof" of anything, instead it was a shocking outcome. Just recall Howard Cosell's amazed and hyesterical commentary....(down goes Frazier!)

Well, all an afterthought now. Holmes gave his induction speech and it was supposed to be great. I would really like to hear it if anyone has it.

so I get called obtus arrogant noob, and what am I suppose to say to that, are you for real. All in all he had his day congrats to him it is sad, that they do put fighters in that position after years of making money of them, goes to show how corrupt boxing can be, they still try and jack right up to being inducted to the HOF.

And Joe Frazier was just as intimidating and similar to Tyson.

I dont know where u get the "Joe was viewed as a small heavyweight entering the pros, who's chances of success were decidedly less than Foremans'. Were u around in 64? Joe was a olympic gold medalist just like foreman and it was foreman who was less celebrated than joe in the initial stages of their careers. Just look at the odds which said Frazier would beat Foreman before their HW title fight.

The outcome was not "proof" of anything, instead it was a shocking outcome. Just recall Howard Cosell's amazed and hyesterical commentary....(down goes Frazier!)

Bullshit. Joe was regarded as a small heavyweight. The outcome was "proof"(my quotes), to anyone who viewed it that way. He had naysayers; come to think of it, one of em may have been his trainer! I'll check on that since you don't believe me. I remember hearing Bert Sugar or someone else discussing this on one of my videos. His chances were NOT stellar due to his size though he did win the gold medal. I believe he fought at a lighter weight or something in the Olympics like a few other guys who went on to win professional Heavyweight accolades later? Ali, Patterson, etc ....

The odds against George favored Joe cuz he was a former champ who had never been stopped or beaten decisively. He was "proven" while George was a unproven but impressive KO artist over the opposition he had met.

The outcome of 6 knockdowns was shocking but Foreman was viewed as a legitimate threat to beat him. Regarding whether I was around in "64" ... don't be silly. Not that it matters with the internets and all but I'd have to be an old fart to have been around then.

so I get called obtus arrogant noob, and what am I suppose to say to that, are you for real. All in all he had his day congrats to him it is sad, that they do put fighters in that position after years of making money of them, goes to show how corrupt boxing can be, they still try and jack right up to being inducted to the HOF.

Well, my friend ... perhaps once you discover how unfulfilling responding like that is and that it actually does more to confirm otherwise baseless insults like that instead of dispel em, you may see where I'm coming from.

Listen, I know because I've been there; done that. It's much better to ignore or seemingly ignore shit like that and respond to the real points of contention. It makes the other guy look stupid especially if you really trump his logic or lack thereof.

If you still disagree with me, that's fine. At any rate, it's against the rules(flaming) so try not to respond like that or at least keep it to a minimum.

You seem like a smart guy though it remains to be seen. Time always tells. Welcome to the boxing forum.

*falls off soap box*

I was at the hall of fame this weekend and Holmes Got mad on Saturday and left a card show because he could not sell his autograph for 25 bucks. He still went into the hall the next day but he only signed for a few people.

Posted by shaolin bushido "Bullshit. Joe was regarded as a small heavyweight. The outcome was "proof"(my quotes), to anyone who viewed it that way. He had naysayers; come to think of it, one of em may have been his trainer! I'll check on that since you don't believe me. I remember hearing Bert Sugar or someone else discussing this on one of my videos. His chances were NOT stellar due to his size though he did win the gold medal. I believe he fought at a lighter weight or something in the Olympics like a few other guys who went on to win professional Heavyweight accolades later? Ali, Patterson, etc ....

The odds against George favored Joe cuz he was a former champ who had never been stopped or beaten decisively. He was "proven" while George was a unproven but impressive KO artist over the opposition he had met.

The outcome of 6 knockdowns was shocking but Foreman was viewed as a legitimate threat to beat him. Regarding whether I was around in "64" ... don't be silly. Not that it matters with the internets and all but I'd have to be an old fart to have been around then.

It turns out you werent around in 64 yet you talk like you were. Than you quote Bert Sugar! hahahahha. Your backtracking and saying ridiculous things to support your foolish argument . eg "His chances were not stellar due to his size" You might like to consider that Geroge Foreman was 6ft 3 and 217 pounds while Joe Frazier was 6.0 and 214 . People must have concluded that Frazier was the underdog as he was an undefeated HW champ of the world who had beaten a year previously a guy who many considered the greatest HW ever up to that point and also a 6ft 3 215 pounds (ie on size an almost identical specimin to Foreman) fighter in Ali. In fact against Ali, Frazier overcame a greater physical disparity as Frazier weighed 205 in the 1971 Ali fight and Ali was 215.

Yoru trying to tell me everyone expected it was a formality that Joe would be obliterated based on size alone is a joke along with your argument. I rest my case.

It turns out you werent around in 64 yet you talk like you were. Than you quote Bert Sugar! hahahahha. Your backtracking and saying ridiculous things to support your foolish argument . eg "His chances were not stellar due to his size" You might like to consider that Geroge Foreman was 6ft 3 and 217 pounds while Joe Frazier was 6.0 and 214 . People must have concluded that Frazier was the underdog as he was an undefeated HW champ of the world who had beaten a year previously a guy who many considered the greatest HW ever up to that point and also a 6ft 3 215 pounds (ie on size an almost identical specimin to Foreman) fighter in Ali. In fact against Ali, Frazier overcame a greater physical disparity as Frazier weighed 205 in the 1971 Ali fight and Ali was 215.

Yoru trying to tell me everyone expected it was a formality that Joe would be obliterated based on size alone is a joke along with your argument. I rest my case.

I didn't say that anyone thought Joe would be obliterated by Foreman based on size alone.

Btw, most every poster on here knows I am probably way older than you.

You didn't get the inside joke for some reason though I'm sure it's not cause you're new here ... probably your second or third go round judging by the chip on your shoulder.

Well, at least you SAY you're letting this go. That counts for something. I'm sure the entire forum is relieved.

He's going to be inducted no matter what. He just got rejected from the ceremony. You think the boxing public would tolerate such a moronic decision: to deny a top 5 great heavyweight from entering the HOF because he didn't want to sign autographs? Don't be an obtuse, ignorant noob.

He signed autographs. That wasn't the problem.

Well, all an afterthought now. Holmes gave his induction speech and it was supposed to be great. I would really like to hear it if anyone has it.

Here is an article with some highlights.

Larry Holmes enters Boxing Hall of Fame his way | Philadelphia Daily News | 06/09/2008

My favorite part of the article:

"Sometimes, when people get rich and ain't hungry no more, they forget everything and everybody. They forget where they come from. Larry Holmes hasn't forgot where he came from."

Nor has he forgotten Foreman, a frequent target of his verbal jabs.

"George Foreman is the biggest phony ever. Everybody knows George wouldn't fight me," Holmes said. "He can sell all the grills you want, and y'all are stuck with them.

"If you don't want your hamburgers to be greasy, you're crazy. I want my burgers juicy. I don't want no damn dried-up burger."

He makes a good point, burger-wise.

I would loved to have been there when Larry got mad. It looked like it turned out okay in the end. Larry in my opinion never got the appreciation that he deserved as being one of the great heavyweights of all time.

Larry is one of boxings' good guys. You can always select a flaw or two; an outlandish soundbite or claim and harp on it but overall he was a damn good fighter who had to fight for his own niche and finally achieved fame on his own merits.

I'd hate to get hit with one of his jabs ... or flying drop kicks!

Some guys who worked with Larry when he was fighting at the end of his career over in MS say that it really hurt him that the fight with Foreman never came off. Larry was envious of Foreman being such a fan favorite when he returend. He felt that he could have defeated Foreman and that would have been the perfect final chapter of his career.

Back