lack of offense in training

FStep said:
i've been doing bjj for about 3 weeks now and i love it and seem to be learning a lot etc but the problem i have is that the only class i'm able to make is all people with over a year experience so obviously i get my ass kicked by everyone in there ... i think my sub defense is improving from this as it is taking people longer and longer to tap me now but i don't feel like my offensive game is getting anywhere when we roll because i'm just unable to get any of the guys in my class with any subs that we are shown in training or really even get in position to try to sub them, can't pass anyones guard, etc the only thing i'm really able to work on when we roll is trying to avoid/get out of subs ... i'm not necessarily frustrated from getting tapped i know thats part of the learning process but i don't think i'll ever get my offense going this way

is this the wrong class for me to be taking or ... ?

youve only just begun your bjj training... a year is nothing when it comes down to it. Time will fly by as long as you keep training and are learning new stuff. Not being able to pull subs off is no big deal either. Think of it this way. because you are learning with guys that are more advanced your sub defense and escapes will become better and better. After awhile it will be so good you will escape most everything people try to put you in. then you will take a dominate position and be able to work the subs. Then you will be the one beatingall the new guys who comes in and youll have plenty of time to practice your subs on them... because they will then be going through what you went through... You have to pay your dews so to say............. You cant expect to walk in there and in a month be tapping the guys who have been training for a year. Its a natural progression and your doing fine. Concentrate on your escapes and sweeps. Pay attention to your balance when your trying to pass the guard... it will slowly all start comming together and you will begin to think you know something about grappling.......... Then the more you learn you will realize you dont know dick and will spend the rest of your life trying to perfect your game.

3 weeks? "offensive game" .... dear lord. Barring say, previous experience in wrestling,
you don't have any "game" at all yet. For now just take your medicine.
Come back and ask the same question in a year.

take your lumps. getting fustrated is okay too. it comes with training with better people. the payoff is that you'll get better as well. when i began i trained with alot of blue belts and got tapped out unmercifully on a daily basis. i made it a habit to pull one of them aside after class if time permitted or made time before class to ask questions about the offensive side of the game. if your rolling partners are any good, they'll be able to offer some sort of advice or be willing to help you work some kinks out of your offensive game.

most importantly though....be patient.

Back