Kron Signed by UFC

Which actually is something that has already happened to Hall, when Saul Rodgers beat him.
Watched that long ago but it seemed biggest problems Ryan had in that fight is he was pathetically weak compared to Rogers and you could see he was not confident in his striking. I don't argue that it's some killer strategy. Relying on being able to both outstrike everyone in the division as well as out jiu jitsu them is pretty risky. It's still a huge advantage especially compared to just laying there completely helpless and defenseless eating leather like Conor did against khabib.

Kron almost always pulls guard. His takedowns are terrible but hey the guard pulling has been working for him so far.

There are a fair number of people who think this and those people always lose.

The sorts of people who adopt a mindset where they are already defeated... are gonna be defeated.
Well the first part I agree with. The point was that maybe Kron will be the one to make it work. As for your 2nd comment, most of the time you're not going to outwrestle the wrestler. You could bang your head against the wall trying to make up for 20 years of wrestling inequality or find another way. Its not preparing to lose its finding a smarter way to win. Strategy.

1 of the best welterweights of the modern era despite his terrible striking

I'll never forget his comeback domination against Dan Henderson either.

yeah styles make fights though henderson has terrible tdd vs singles doubles as dan did greco and he has big upperbody but tiny bird legs and isnt very flexible watch how stiff his kicks are so jakes head outside singles are perfect for getting dan down it was a perfect fight for jake

thats why love mma styles make fights certain guys can beta others depending on there strengths vs there weaknesses

yeah styles make fights though henderson has terrible tdd vs singles doubles as dan did greco and he has big upperbody but tiny bird legs and isnt very flexible watch how stiff his kicks are so jakes head outside singles are perfect for getting dan down it was a perfect fight for jake

thats why love mma styles make fights certain guys can beta others depending on there strengths vs there weaknesses
He got faceplanted in rd 1 favourable style or not, I think that's what made it a great performance.

jheklnm0a1n01.gif

I'll put it like this: If you want to play soccer you learn to dribble; if you want to fight mma you learn to wrestle. It's practically the water you're swimming in.

If it isn't in you to have the takedown defense to keep the fight standing and work your strikes, or it isn't in you to have the takedown offense to hold a guy down and work your ground fighting... you can consider trying a different sport better suited to your abilities.
Then I ask the question I touched on somewhere in this thread. What's the best approach to consistently win fights by submission? Either you bring in great striking and a nasty guard, great wrestling to finish guys from on top, or become proficient at hurting your for with strike and snatching an opportune submission. I feel like I've seen more of the 1st and 3rd and less of the 2nd. Or I guess you go the Palhares route and go berserk for the sub.

Then I ask the question I touched on somewhere in this thread. What's the best approach to consistently win fights by submission? Either you bring in great striking and a nasty guard, great wrestling to finish guys from on top, or become proficient at hurting your for with strike and snatching an opportune submission. I feel like I've seen more of the 1st and 3rd and less of the 2nd. Or I guess you go the Palhares route and go berserk for the sub.

Guys like Jacare, Rani Yahya, or Shoeface count amongst the highest ratios of submissions per fight (meaning out of total wins and losses, not just per win), who do option two to do it. If you include past fighters too you can look at guys like Sakuraba or Chris Lytle as well.

Many guys who go for takedowns just so happen to be guys who also like to simply take the oportunity to win by ground and pound; if you have a mind set on it, it can also happen to be your best opportunities to get submissions as well.

Leg entanglements can be used top or bottom (in fact i'd say a simple level change to shoot on a leg is probably the most reliable way of getting to a leg entanglement), and i would say they are the most effective method (or 'guard' if you will) for attacking from bottom as well.

Last edited:
A few years ago, I had a request from matchmaker (and owner of the fight org), where Kron use to fight, to find a suitable opponent for him.
I offered the 5 time Combat Sambo world champ Marko Kosev (BUL).
They came up with an offer of $1500 for Kosev and I know for sure Kron was getting at leat 20 times that. They didnt even wanted to pay the airplane for his coach/ manager.
I was led to believe they offer just super low budget fighters as opponents.

Any real confirmation of Kron signing with the UFC? The only thing legit was posted days ago about the UFC seriously considering signing him, but that’s it.

A few years ago, I had a request from matchmaker (and owner of the fight org), where Kron use to fight, to find a suitable opponent for him.
They came up with an offer of $1500 for Kosev and I know for sure Kron was getting at leat 20 times that. They didnt even wanted to pay the airplane for his coach/ manager.
Makes sense for them to feed a potential star cheap opponents. Krons was a good fight from a career standpoint. A lot of prestige in beating him for the threat level he possesed.

How many fights did kosev had by that time? It seems like it was a high risk low reward fight

That's sick. I will definitely watch. I feel he will really cement his family's legacy with this one.

The Gracies have caught some criticism about their members being largely absent from competition in the UFC recently. I never thought it was warranted.

I will watch his fights, excited for it.
Gracie's get criticism for many legit reasons, some not so legit, but they definitely deserve at least SOME criticism

Makes sense for them to feed a potential star cheap opponents. Krons was a good fight from a career standpoint. A lot of prestige in beating him for the threat level he possesed.
The thing is, no 5 time world champ in any combat sport will take an offer of $1500 and on top of that, his coach to pay his flight.
They were looking for bums.

The thing is, no 5 time world champ in any combat sport will take an offer of $1500 and on top of that, his coach to pay his flight.
They were looking for bums.

15000 or 1500, 1500 is ludricrous

Gracie's get criticism for many legit reasons, some not so legit, but they definitely deserve at least SOME criticism

I don't even have enough info to give them criticism. What kind of things do you think they may deserve criticism for?..... legit question.

I don't even have enough info to give them criticism. What kind of things do you think they may deserve criticism for?..... legit question.
For me it's hard to pick Just one thing. I suppose one thing to start with was their special rule changes in Pride. Also Royce after the 3rd Ken fight, acting as if he always fought with no rules, even though he had been fighting with non-vale tudo rules for years by that point. There's alot of things I can pick on but I do still respect them in some aspects

For me it's hard to pick Just one thing. I suppose one thing to start with was their special rule changes in Pride. Also Royce after the 3rd Ken fight, acting as if he always fought with no rules, even though he had been fighting with non-vale tudo rules for years by that point. There's alot of things I can pick on but I do still respect them in some aspects

What about Royce's first fight with Yoshida? The Gracie family was upset with the ruling. Do you think he went limp or was out? Also, what were your thoughts on him opting to fight bareback the second time, presumably to limit the techniques that Yoshida (gold medalist Judoka) could employ?

That was the only big thing that came to mind for me, in terms of controversy. That, and Renzo's behavior at times. However, I am a fan of Renzo's and would be honored to be a student, so I'll overlook it lol.

Back