KOTOR Remake Rumor

But it's rather like seeing some idiot pick up a hammer, giving him the blueprint to a house and expecting anything but shoddy craftsmanship.

My fear is that the development of this game, from the people inhabiting Bioware's teams, will be like
tumblr_l4kisg6Sem1qz53pz.png

I get Bioware has had its problems over the last DECADE, but I'm optimistic that EA knows how they've fucked up with the two Battlefront games and after the success of Fallen Order they.... perhaps... have began to learn from them.

As for the shoddy craftsmanship, I 100% agree, but that's due to past EA decisions of setting release dates and year-long crunches upon the development teams.

Like Cyberpunk, I don't care when its out. I care when it eventually is out its an excellent game of the highest standard of quality.

I'd be 100% cool with it being the KOTOR remake being released on the original's 20th anniversary.

<Fedor23>

Could be cool, I guess. Feel like the original still holds up fine.

Are they planning on taking a dump on The Old Republic in the same way they did the Skywalker saga i wonder

I fucking hope so.

I'm probably the biggest KOTOR fanboy on this board, playing both games a combined 20+ times. It was before YouTube so I was determined to find every way possible to play each game, and find every bit of the story.

After KOTOR2, everything has been shit. The comics were sub-standard, the novel 'Revan' read like shitty fanfiction by Drew Karpyshyn in an attempt to write off the 2nd game and link the 1st game to the shitty MMO.

Revan could have been the conflicted grey Jedi of the Old Republic Expanded Universe, in the same way Luke Skywalker was the grand Jedi Master of the Post Ep6 Expanded Universe.

Bioware fucked it all up by trying to turn KOTOR into a cash cow like World Of Warcraft.

Greed over artistic integrity and quality of a final product has been the downfall of so many game development companies and franchises.

<Fedor23>

Could be cool, I guess. Feel like the original still holds up fine.

It really doesn't.

Even when it was released in 2003 the graphics and gameplay were substandard for that year and standard for gaming.

I say that as someone who considers KOTOR as in my Top5 GOAT games.

What was excellent then, and still excellent now, was the world-building, characters, pacing, soundtrack, and voiceacting.

KOTOR turned me into a hardcore Star Wars fan, after 20 years of being a moderate fan but mostly making fun of the hardcore Star Wars fans.

I get Bioware has had its problems over the last DECADE, but I'm optimistic that EA knows how they've fucked up with the two Battlefront games and after the success of Fallen Order they.... perhaps... have began to learn from them.

As for the shoddy craftsmanship, I 100% agree, but that's due to past EA decisions of setting release dates and year-long crunches upon the development teams.

Like Cyberpunk, I don't care when its out. I care when it eventually is out its an excellent game of the highest standard of quality.

I'd be 100% cool with it being the KOTOR remake being released on the original's 20th anniversary.

Here's hoping. I've read that they might be combining KOTOR 1 and 2 and making them canon. If they don't fuck it up, and hit it out of the park, not only would that be huge for Bioware, but I think it'd rather obviously open them up to have the capacity and backing by EA to begin KOTOR 3, finally.

It really doesn't.

Even when it was released in 2003 the graphics and gameplay were substandard for that year and standard for gaming.

I say that as someone who considers KOTOR as in my Top5 GOAT games.

What was excellent then, and still excellent now, was the world-building, characters, pacing, soundtrack, and voiceacting.

KOTOR turned me into a hardcore Star Wars fan, after 20 years of being a moderate fan but mostly making fun of the hardcore Star Wars fans.
It’s not FF7 ugly. It’s just fine for the type of game it is. I just don’t see graphics enhancing the enjoyment.

It’s not FF7 ugly. It’s just fine for the type of game it is. I just don’t see graphics enhancing the enjoyment.

It will for a 'new generation of gamers.' Yeah, that's a phrase used by publishers, but its true - like the RE2make, I want KOTOR to be played by new gamers that would look at the original and think 'it looks like shit.'

And the no one would deny the gameplay is primitive compared to today's RPGs. Can't imagine a young gamer would get through Taris (KOTOR's first planet) after they've played Witcher 3.

Even before the ending, ME3 felt pretty 'meh' for me.

I was content, although I could feel that they rushed it a bit. Especially when it came to some of the side missions, that seemed like they were cut to shit to push it out the door. I think Bioware had a vision for something bigger and better, but EA kneecapped them.

All in all though, it's still a solid 40-60 hour experience, and the DLC was pretty good as well, even if some of it was a bullshit day one edition cash grab. It certainly wasn't a "bad" game, as it's reputation due to it's disappointing ending would suggest.

Yeah, I don't remember it being ugly at all at launch. Quite the opposite actually, and even though it has aged a bit since then, it's still not bad. It's got some bland and empty environments here and there, but the character designs/animations, and effects are still rather good all things considered. It's nothing like some N64 game, like "Golden Eye" that just looks atrocious today.

I was content, although I could feel that they rushed it a bit. Especially when it came to some of the side missions, that seemed like they were cut to shit to push it out the door. I think Bioware had a vision for something bigger and better, but EA kneecapped them.
Oh this is undeniably what happened.

ME3 was released two years after ME2, and the entire team was on 'crunch time' throughout those two years.

That was the beginning of EA's disregard for the well-being of their team at Bioware. They crunched ME2, crunched DAI, crunched MEA, and they've crunched Anthem the absolute worst.

All in all though, it's still a solid 40-60 hour experience,
<LikeReally5>
Um... are you sure it took you 40-60 hours?

I beat it in 18 hours, and I wasn't exactly rushing through it. I even did a few sidequests and ran into some of the ME2 characters (but not all).

ME2 was a 40-60 hour experience because of all the loyalty missions, including Kasumi and that mercenary.

and the DLC was pretty good as well, even if some of it was a bullshit day one edition cash grab. It certainly wasn't a "bad" game, as it's reputation due to it's disappointing ending would suggest.

I never bought the Day 1 DLC, and after seeing a youtube video of the Prothian with the Jamaican accent I'm very glad I didn't.

Its one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

<LikeReally5>
Um... are you sure it took you 40-60 hours?

Easily. 30 at the least(average is somewhere along 35). I don't know how anyone would beat it in 18 hours without blitzing through most of it. The conversations alone, would take up some time.

ME2 was a 40-60 hour experience because of all the loyalty missions, including Kasumi and that mercenary.

But that was not eliminated in ME3. It pretty much has the same structure as ME2, with it's character specific side missions.

I never bought the Day 1 DLC, and after seeing a youtube video of the Prothian with the Jamaican accent I'm very glad I didn't.

Its one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

It was meaty. I didn't have to buy it, as I did grab the Day 1 edition, but it was beyond retarded that they made it a day one exclusive, considering it's a pretty big chunk of the core experience.

Easily. 30 at the least(average is somewhere along 35). I don't know how anyone would beat it in 18 hours without blitzing through most of it.

I wasn't blitzing, and I looked up an old GameFaqs forum post about people posting how long it took them to beat it.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/995452-mass-effect-3/62230259

Just a shade under 30 hours.
32 Hours
About 27 hours in-game time
it took me about 36 hours.
62 hours.
I clocked in at around 35 hours.
First play through was 28 hours,
Close to 45 hours for me,
First playthrough was around 38 hours.

So perhaps I'm remembering my second playthrough being 18 hours long, and I can't recall exactly how much longer my first playthrough was but it wasn't much more than 18. Possibly 22 to 24 hours.

I think most people who are saying its 40 to 60 hours are counting the hours playing the multiplayer.

But that was not eliminated in ME3. It pretty much has the same structure as ME2, with it's character specific side missions.

Thats the thing - its very hard to tell at first which side missions are significant, judging significance by if you meet an old character from ME2.

Most players skipped them, like myself, upon the first playthrough, and missed many of the character cameos.

The ME3 side missions weren't particularly long, and much shorter than the ME2 loyalty missions.

It was meaty. I didn't have to buy it, as I did grab the Day 1 edition, but it was beyond retarded that they made it a day one exclusive, considering it's a pretty big chunk of the core experience.

From what I recall on YouTube, the price wasn't worth the extra content.

Regardless, if it was (or wasn't) worth the price, or if it was substantive experience (or wasn't) of the game, it was a bitch move by EA to make gamers pay extra for it.

I think most people who are saying its 40 to 60 hours are counting the hours playing the multiplayer.

Nah, I think it's gamers like me who take in all the sights and sounds. I'll exhaust all the dialogue of every single NPC in every area, and that alone probably takes up a good 8-10 hours.

I can only see 18-20 hours, if you play economically, and only focus on your immediate goals. These games invite distraction.

Thats the thing - its very hard to tell at first which side missions are significant, judging significance by if you meet an old character from ME2.

Most players skipped them, like myself, upon the first playthrough, and missed many of the character cameos.

Can't agree with that. You know when a side mission is meaty or not. If characters are sending you to another area with them, you know it's gonna be a good 2-4 hour mission, with lots of dialogue, story, and set pieces. It's not like picking up throwaway fetch quests. If you skipped them, that's probably where your 18 hour completion time came from.

The ME3 side missions weren't particularly long, and much shorter than the ME2 loyalty missions.

Nah, they were about equal.

From what I recall on YouTube, the price wasn't worth the extra content.

If it was just a piece of extra DLC, it would totally be worth the price. It wasn't some cheap, inconsequential shit. It was basically a companion loyalty mission. It was a good 3-4 hours of content. It just should never have been cut. It would be like taking away any loyalty mission out of ME2 right out of the gate. It was just a cheap move.

Dragon Age Inquisition was awesome. That was the last good bioware game

Interesting timing on this. I just bought KOTOR for my PC to replay and I've been DLing a bunch of mods.

Interesting timing on this. I just bought KOTOR for my PC to replay and I've been DLing a bunch of mods.

Even the base game is still good. Mods will only make it better.

It's one of those games that revolutionized a genre, and never really got old. All the core gameplay elements we enjoy in these types of games, are still there. The combat is a little wonky though. It still works, but it looks pretty stupid and can take you out of the immersion a bit.

Back