KOTOR Remake Rumor

Question - If EA remakes KOTOR2, would they have to pay a shitload of money to Obsidian? Or any royalties at all?

My guess is no. My guess is that if it’s a remake as opposed to say just a remaster they can argue that it’s changed enough that it’s not really the same game anymore so they wouldn’t be entitled to anything.

And that’s assuming that they even had those rights to begin with. I don’t know how profits are split between developers and publishers, or who really owns the copyright (for example, the litigation between 3D Realms and 2K games concerning the ownership of Duke Nukem).

Question - If EA remakes KOTOR2, would they have to pay a shitload of money to Obsidian? Or any royalties at all?

Highly doubt it. Obsidian likely doesn't own a damn thing when it comes to KOTOR. EA and Disney have that shit on lock down. Even with the original, they likely didn't make too much outside of their initial fee, and some contractual profits for their work. They were just hired to work with another company's tools and assets. Middle man shit.

No, EA own the IP, Obsidian would of already been paid for the work on the original and any royalties would only come from the original not the remake unless they did any work on it.

Yay I'm sure they won't release the full game so they can try to DLC rape everyone. Fuck EA.

Hopefully, they stop forcing Bioware to use the frostbite engine for all their games. From what I've read of what went wrong with Dragon Age Inquisition forward, it seems like Bioware has a really hard time making RPGs out of an engine used for FPSs. Kind of absurd that EA would force a legendary studio like Bioware to use a certain engine and not let them use whatever the hell they want. It seemed like Anthem was hit hardest by frostbite's limitations. The common theme in that article about it's development seemed to be Bioware hitting a wall with frostbite anytime they had an interesting idea they wanted to implement, causing them to constantly go back to the drawing board.

It really doesn't.

Even when it was released in 2003 the graphics and gameplay were substandard for that year and standard for gaming.

I say that as someone who considers KOTOR as in my Top5 GOAT games.

What was excellent then, and still excellent now, was the world-building, characters, pacing, soundtrack, and voiceacting.

KOTOR turned me into a hardcore Star Wars fan, after 20 years of being a moderate fan but mostly making fun of the hardcore Star Wars fans.
Same here pretty much. Star wars using a D&D base. The reeses cup of video games. I want a 3rd one so bad, but only with the og team. Those games were something special.

Hopefully, they stop forcing Bioware to use the frostbite engine for all their games. From what I've read of what went wrong with Dragon Age Inquisition forward, it seems like Bioware has a really hard time making RPGs out of an engine used for FPSs. Kind of absurd that EA would force a legendary studio like Bioware to use a certain engine and not let them use whatever the hell they want. It seemed like Anthem was hit hardest by frostbite's limitations. The common theme in that article about it's development seemed to be Bioware hitting a wall with frostbite anytime they had an interesting idea they wanted to implement, causing them to constantly go back to the drawing board.

Thats not gonna happen.... This is EA

Less talk, more Pazaak.

I was content, although I could feel that they rushed it a bit. Especially when it came to some of the side missions, that seemed like they were cut to shit to push it out the door. I think Bioware had a vision for something bigger and better, but EA kneecapped them.

All in all though, it's still a solid 40-60 hour experience, and the DLC was pretty good as well, even if some of it was a bullshit day one edition cash grab. It certainly wasn't a "bad" game, as it's reputation due to it's disappointing ending would suggest.
I'm with you, though I didn't take that long either. I actually played the multiplayer for a while for some ungodly reason, and found some enjoyment. I felt the main game was decent, and the ending really made it look worse. I don't ever get the urge to go back and play it like I do ME2 though, outside of some Mordin and Tali stuff.

I can play KOTOR 2 right now if I want, I'd rather they do a sequel than a remake.

I can play KOTOR 2 right now if I want, I'd rather they do a sequel than a remake.
I’d wager a remake is being done to introduce people under the age of 25 to the game so a 3rd game will do better money wise

<Fedor23>

Could be cool, I guess. Feel like the original still holds up fine.
Other than the combat, I generally agree. I would still give the rumoured remake a shot, if it sees the light of day.

I hope if this is true we finally get a third game

The Old Republic IS the 3rd game. As much as fans whine and cry about it, it's the truth. As you play through the game you get bits and pieces of what happens after the time of Revan, then he becomes a huge part of the game and a major antagonist/protagonist. They had an entire expansion dedicated to how his story ends, and it was damn good. And the following expansion was one of the best MMORPG expansions ever story wise, and probably one of the best Star Wars stories ever put out that wasn't Thrawn or a movie.

The Old Republic IS the 3rd game. As much as fans whine and cry about it, it's the truth. As you play through the game you get bits and pieces of what happens after the time of Revan, then he becomes a huge part of the game and a major antagonist/protagonist. They had an entire expansion dedicated to how his story ends, and it was damn good. And the following expansion was one of the best MMORPG expansions ever story wise, and probably one of the best Star Wars stories ever put out that wasn't Thrawn or a movie.
I refuse to acknowledge a WoW knockoff that was trash when it first released as a proper sequel.

On a related note

I refuse to acknowledge a WoW knockoff that was trash when it first released as a proper sequel.

The amount of work they punt into it after the fact was amazing. It's crazy how good it turned out, but if you choose to ignore it thats fine. I won't argue.

Back