Knowing when to let go

He coulda said tap, tapped your legs, tapped the mat harder...it's not your fault as long as you don't intentionally hold a lock after they have tapped.

Dear original poster: You are a tool.

Heel hooks on your first day of BJJ class? You should have been punched repeatidly in the face because you are so fucking hard c0re. I hope your ACL gets torn from a heel hook.

That is all.

It's okay to crank heel hooks as long as you do it SLOWLY and giev them plenty of time to tap.

LCDforMe said:
He coulda said tap, tapped your legs, tapped the mat harder...it's not your fault as long as you don't intentionally hold a lock after they have tapped.
It's the OTHER guys fault that this idiot is slapping heelhooks on his first day? Not everyone is a internet fiend and knows what a heelhook is, especially whitebelts. Neckcranks are also probably more dangerous then heelhooks. I rather have a broken knee and ankle then be sitting in a wheelchair for life. In the end I make sure to not get caught by neither.

You tried a heelhook... banned in under all sport BJJ rules... in your first class? Are you fucking stupid? You don't even know the first thing about the BJJ and in your first class you go for the one technique not allowed at all? Jesus... do you even know what a heelhook can do? The fact you weren't even paying attention to the fact he was tapping as you were close to destroying a guy's leg astounds me. That was probably just as insulting that you actually cranked it, let alone went to apply it.

I'm surprised the instructor didn't throw you to the higher belts to get mauled but he probably figured you didn't know any better.

As for the comment about neck cranks, they aren't allowed in BJJ either so the point is irrelevant, no-gi grappling is not BJJ and the rules are not the same.

I would just say sorry and if he got all pissed off then next time i get him in a submission i wouldnt let go

Ooh, tough guy. I guess you are rich and don't mind the idea of going to court for premeditated assault with the intent to maim. Idiot.

I think you are dumb for obvious reasons pointed out by other posters. Anyways, I think it's an effort on both training partner's part. It's not a tournament so nobody should be gunning for a sub like it's the championship bout and you are down 2 points. You should work hard for the sub yes, but when you get the lock/choke, apply pressure gradually and watch their hands for the tap. It's the person getting subbed responsibility to if they have a free hand tap the person, yell TAP TAP or slap the ground hard. There has been so many times I haven't heard a tap because it sounded like it was coming like all the way across the room

Zankou said:
It boggles my mind that you are cranking heelhooks on your first day, and worse, apparently paying so little attention to what your partner is doing that you can't tell he is tapping the mat. Even if your instructor lets you go for heel hooks -- which I think is kind of crazy -- I think it's incumbent on you to be VERY aware of how the other guy is reacting, whether he's tapping or not. I'd be pretty pissed if this happened to me.
i dont understand the fact that he's cranking a heel hook.. you dont feel pain until it's too late so cranking is not benificial in this situation.

my first bjj class i walked in on an advanced bjj class with half purple belts, like 8 guys total and we did heel hooks. then again, the instructor is someone i wrestled with in high school so i'm guessing he assumed i wasnt a moron who'd crank a lock, plus the fact that even to everyone in the room everyone was reinterating how dangerous heel hooks and be and everyone sharing their stories of guys who didnt tap in tourneys and the after effects..

I don't think there's something inherently unworkable about having newbs practice heel hooks as long as they are carefully instructed on the danger, are not cranking them, and are paying VERY close attention to how the other guy is acting, whether he's tapping or not. But that's a controlled situation.

The problem with this situation is that it seems like an unsupervised 1st day student just decided to slap on a heel hook in free rolling and crank, apparently oblivious to the other guy tapping the mat. The other guy wasn't necessarily experienced either -- what if he didn't know what a heel hook was, and just sat there trying to fight it until his ACL was torn to bits? It's crazy dangerous.

gabe_rath said:
I just had my first BJJ class and I got my opponent in a heel hook. Well he started tapping on the mat but I couldn't hear it because it was on my other side. Mind you I was not putting it on very hard but I think he got pissed at me because he came after me very aggressive in the second match. I think he sould have tapped me instead of the mat, he had his arms free. Has anyone else had this experience?
Well, if you beat him the first time, he probably should have come more aggressively anyway. But why the hell were you doing heel hooks?

get this. i train BJJ and i am decent considering my previous experience (none). I am big and pretty strong.

1st this guy tells me i have been wrestiling sincec i was 12. i catch him in a RNC. he is gurling and all that shit but wont tap. so i arch my back to apply more pressure. he still doesnt tap. i let him go because i am thinking fuck lets start over and learn more. then i catch him in a kimura from the bottom. i am cranking and wquirming like hell to ge tthis guy to tap an d he just wont do it. again i let him out and he is rubbing his shoulder and is like "fuck man you almost broke my arm, i was tapping the mat!".

point is i could not hear it and since i assumed he was far better than me i played hard.

Leason: tap the person! and dont brag about being so bad ass that people feel that they have to work harder to win.

maybe im wrong but oh well.........

Yes. You are in fact a geneuine liability as a training partner at this point. Don't be a newbie spaz. Control yourself.

Hmm.. that guy said first bjj class. Mayb he had sambo experience? Also, if it were an exverted Heel hook, ACL wont b the first to go.

VegasFighter said:
i had a guy in a gullitine very tight, was absolutley amazed he wasnt tapping.. He was gurgling and everything, but he never tapped. then he yelled at me for holding it that tight, not letting go blah blah blah.
Been there too. The guy I was subbing was dark skinned so (not to be racist or anything) he didn

thecas said:
Hmm.. that guy said first bjj class. Mayb he had sambo experience? Also, if it were an exverted Heel hook, ACL wont b the first to go.

Um... I really doubt he had ANY experience and was probably going on what he had seen from events and highlights rather than classes or instructionals.

he should have tapped you or saidtap, it's not ur fault; he just let his ego get in the way and did not want to lose face, which is a personal problem.

maybe u should not be doing heel hooks, but the fact is u did and he got caught so he should have been more obvious in tapping....

When I get submissions, I'll never put pressure on it.

2 things happen he won't move, so I'll just let go and continue to roll, 2nd thing is they will try to escape, I'll just hold it tight until he realizes ((Sometimes they will get out)) he isn't going anywhere and then I'll let go.

ValeTudo19 said:
When I get submissions, I'll never put pressure on it.

2 things happen he won't move, so I'll just let go and continue to roll, 2nd thing is they will try to escape, I'll just hold it tight until he realizes ((Sometimes they will get out)) he isn't going anywhere and then I'll let go.
Example of a good training partner.

i catch him in a RNC. he is gurling and all that shit but wont tap. so i arch my back to apply more pressure.
Example of a stubborn training partner that couldn't be the better man while his partner was gurgling.

Superbeast said:
Um... I really doubt he had ANY experience and was probably going on what he had seen from events and highlights rather than classes or instructionals.

There was a reason I said that.

Look at his join date, Oct 2002 with 250+ posts. Usually people do not join a martial arts forum and look around for three years before their first martial arts class. Still possible tho, just unlikely.

Well since your interested and I seem to be getting quite a lot of assumptions from everybody. I have been training in no-gi submission wrestling for a few years now and yes I do know what a heelhook can do if you "crank" it. However I do not "crank" any of my submissions in training just as anyone would, so don't assume that I'm a know nothing jerk who is being wreckless. I did not know that certain leg submissions were not allowed in BJJ, however since my school also trains in no-gi and mma I assumed that they were allowed. No damage was done and thats not what I'm about. I'll admit that I'm new to the BJJ game but thank you for being insensitive pricks who are not interested in helping the spread of knowledge but rather to fill this forum with regurgitated posts.

Soid said:
Example of a stubborn training partner that couldn't be the better man while his partner was gurgling.
some guys want to see how long they can fight a choke before they have to pull the "get out of jail free" card and tap. they need to learn how much they can fight just as much as everything else. it's not good farm to get caught in the first place, but it happens in matches too.

Back