Knocking out dickhead sparring partners

StudentLoan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So this came up last night at MT. There are a couple of immature dickheads who've been coming for a while and when they spar they go really hard. Basically they try to hurt you instead of improving their game. So this class one of the guys who's more experienced starts sparring with one of these idiots. Our instructor told the more experienced guy to knock the jackass out. He ended up really pummeling him but didn't knock him out because he felt bad for the guy.

Mind you this guy probably needs to get knocked out 'cause he's hurting some of the newer guys and that's uncool. He treats sparring sessions like fights. However, I think he's the kind of guy who's ego wouldn't permit him to learn from his mistakes. Rather if he were knocked out he'll try harder to really hurt the guy he's sparring the next time. Hopefully I'm wrong, who knows.

Anyway, anyone else get a request like this from their MT instructor before? If so did those people learn or just go crazier when sparring?

So this came up last night at MT. There are a couple of immature dickheads who've been coming for a while and when they spar they go really hard. Basically they try to hurt you instead of improving their game. So this class one of the guys who's more experienced starts sparring with one of these idiots. Our instructor told the more experienced guy to knock the jackass out. He ended up really pummeling him but didn't knock him out because he felt bad for the guy.

Mind you this guy probably needs to get knocked out 'cause he's hurting some of the newer guys and that's uncool. He treats sparring sessions like fights. However, I think he's the kind of guy who's ego wouldn't permit him to learn from his mistakes. Rather if he were knocked out he'll try harder to really hurt the guy he's sparring the next time. Hopefully I'm wrong, who knows.

Anyway, anyone else get a request like this from their MT instructor before? If so did those people learn or just go crazier when sparring?

Where do you train in Toronto? Funnily enough at the old gym I was at, I had heard of a similar request and witnessed the end result. Sometimes there are guys who deserve it and as long as no serious or long term damage occurs, I'm all for it. Sometimes, karma has to be dispensed by the bigger fish in the pond.

A concussion can be an enlightening experience for some.

i don't think that knocking a training partner out is justified. Now low kicking the shit out of them + working their body and basically making them beg to stop sparring is another story.

A concussion can be an enlightening experience for some.

That's what my concern is. I agree with blanko though, I think punishing the guy to the point of submission is probably the better route.

we had a guy just like that at gym I go.
one night ( I was off) a friend of mine, who is a fighter, and was bullied when he was younger so cant stand them, see he was doing his normal "try to knock everyone the fuck out" routine, and just waited his turn.. he got it, and kept saying to the guy, "stop trying to knock me out" yet he kept hitting as hard as he could.. this went on for under a min or so and matey hit him harder with every hard hit he took, until he totaly lost it with him, took gloves off, started shouting at the bloke, you know, totaly went off on one, he didnt even need to hit the guy, the fact that he just got a good verbal lesson in what everyone thought about him and ontop of that been told he wasnt welcome if he see him throw a punch like that again in the gym, pretty much did the trick....
I still believe that if nothing was said, people would have just put up with it and complained behind his back, say soemthing to the guy, just say your acting like a idiot and the idea is to get more skilled, not knock out the people who train with you..
knocking him out might just take things to a personal level, if soemone at my place knocked me out and it wasnt a genuine mistake, he just kept going and going, id take it personaly...

There was this one younger(17 or so) kid at my school and he would spar extremely hard against the less experienced guys or younger guys but once he had to spar more experienced people or older guys he would play this "im the nice akward kid, i dont want to go hard" routine. Our instructor would always tell us, go as hard as your partner wants to go. He knew, Everyone knew this. Basically, he could give it but he wouldn't want to take it.

Eventually my instructor privately told me and anther guy who are about his size (height and weight) just more experienced then him to go as hard on him as he goes with other people. We had a field day on him. Pullin out every trick in the book. I ain't gonna lie, I enjoyed it.

Was that technically the right way to handle the situation? No... But sometimes when people dont listen, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Yeah, theres a fine line between teaching someone an important lesson and becoming a bully yourself.

Thats why god invented bodyshots. No permanent damage, but christ you learn.

(I was one of those asshole kids when I started out - then an amatuer boxer decided to reward my spazzy headhunting with a HARD liver-shot. I learnt pretty damn quick after that!)

i don't think that knocking a training partner out is justified. Now low kicking the shit out of them + working their body and basically making them beg to stop sparring is another story.

Boom...I concur

i've witnessed it once myself at my old school

this french dude who spent quite a bit of time in thailand and had MT experience kept throwing elbows during sparring and was repeatedly told to cut it out

finally our instructor had enough and put him up against a guy who was very good with his feet (think cung le) and told him to let him have it. he actually made that hand sign that harry hamlin did in the 'quest for fire' when it was time for sechs.

cung le basically picked him apart but was nice enough not to hurt him, just embarassed him is all.

frenchie didnt spar any more after that.

Adding to peopel mentioning low kicks, Ive seen the wind in some sails reduced from hurricane force after a few hard well aimed kicks to the ribs during a sparring session. If that doesn't slow htem down instantly, spending the next 3 days in pain whenever they touch or move the wrong way reminds them :icon_chee

PS throwing elbows hard and recklessly during sparring is beyond uncool.

Adding to peopel mentioning low kicks, Ive seen the wind in some sails reduced from hurricane force after a few hard well aimed kicks to the ribs during a sparring session. If that doesn't slow htem down instantly, spending the next 3 days in pain whenever they touch or move the wrong way reminds them :icon_chee

Throwing elbows in sparring at all is beyond uncool.

generally, i've seen knuckleheads get lowkicked or body punched by pros, or even instructors
to teach them a lesson
knocking a guy out with a punch or kick in the head is always a bit dangerous
and most instructors don't want to deal with the possible aftermath

guys like this will either learn or quit
if not, they are in a world of hurt the next time

Throwing elbows in sparring at all is beyond uncool.

QFT. I outlined the recklessly part because sometimes when sparring we 'mimic' the action of an elbow if you are outclinching someone, jus as you would mimic a knee action or whatever.

Fourtantly I never had to deal with that shit at my gym. However we do have one guy (a fighter) who, the longer he spars for the harder he hits. I cant really blame him for it since I have found myself doing it myself the problem is that hes a walking muscle and is very fucking good lol. Sometimes people just need a reality check, merly inform him (or myself) that hes going too hard and he'll try and ease up a little.

my trainer would never be that unprofessional..would just ban the guy from sparring

I HAVE heard of students being given the nod on roughing up guys like is mentioned in the first post. Some times you need shit like that cuz of dumbasses who don't get it no matter how many times the instructor tells him .... necessary evil.

Ive seen the wind in some sails reduced from hurricane force after a few hard well aimed kicks to the ribs during a sparring session. If that doesn't slow htem down instantly, spending the next 3 days in pain whenever they touch or move the wrong way reminds them :icon_chee

That happened to me ... but I don't think it was cuz I was a bonehead going too hard ...

... :icon_surp

... maybe I WAS that guy and just didn't realize it. If that was the case I'd be pissed to know my instructor didn't tell me plainly and just sicced that "sandbaggin" green belt(tkd) on me instead.

he tore my damn ribs up!

I mean, how easy is it to cut someone open with an elbow, its the same as people cranking heelhooks, you that stuffs dangerous so why even think about it

Back