Knocking out dickhead sparring partners

I think it's a double edged sword really, if you approach the situation the way everyone on here has been saying. KO'ing a guy is pretty bad but what if the guys job is something physically demanding and you break/bruise a rib or mangle up his legs so he can't walk for a few days? I guess the best thing would be to just pull the guy to the side and let him know to stop being a tard.

Never happened any of the places I've trained. Would suggest though, that it's the responsibility of the trainer to check the person/s, and/or ask them to leave if they can't reign themselves in.

We had a larger student from thialand training with us for a few weeks. Not sure if he was trying to prove himself or he plain out spared too hard but he was being so agressive he was chasing some students 10-15 feet across a mat and was tossing people to the floor from the clinch like mad. He was about 6'2" over 200 solid pounds easy so basicly he man handled a lot of people.

Our instuctor told him time and time again relax were light sparing he wants to see movement not how strong and how much you can hurt someone, but after about 4-5 warnings the guy was still up to no good. The bad part was i was next to spar him and had been watching him and wanted willing to give him a decent body "beating" but the instuctor actualy pulled him and a couple of the fighters training with us at that time aside and basicly told them look, dont hurt him but dont hold back.

I dont think he really slowed down or learnt much because they were going pretty hard back and forth, but i think the instuctor pulling him aside and allowing him to spar with someone who can hold there own was the best thing to do.

Its a fine line, i dont think you want your instuctor saying knock the guy out, but i dont see the bad thing with teaching some "cocky hothead" a lesson in relaxing with some good solid body work. Plus you want him to be concious for the pain :D

Sometime people don't realize that they are going to hard. Especially if they are new to sparring. If they have been warned and still act like a jackass, well then I don't feel so bad if someone else "works" them. I think a knock out is a little extreme. The correct course of action would be to have them sit out a bit and relax.

Sometimes guys just need to be shown that they are not as good as they think they are. We have a few new guys at my school and most of them are fantastic. Train hard, spar well and in control, nice and respectful to everyone. But then there is one guy, who also seems like a nice guy, but goes crazy when sparring. First time i sparred him i just blocked a few punchs and evaded a few kicks that he threw at me, all these were in complete control. Then I fire an extremely light jab at him. The dude FREAKS OUT starts throwing wild roundhouses and punchs like he was fighting for his life. It was the damnest thing, he was in complete control until he got hit no matter where or how light and he would just lose it. I tried giving him the, only as hard as you want to get hit talk as im 6'2
" 219lbs and he is probably only 175 or so at 5'11" and he says okay. So I figure now home boy is gonna straighten up some? Fuck no he goes just as bad if not worse. The worst thing was honestly the look in his eyes. It was taht of pure rage and hatered I have never seen someone look so angry at me. Well finally he clips me on the jaw with a good force punch so I decided he needed a lesson. Clinched, as he was swinging wildly i just fired a good knee right under the floating rib. That was the end of our sparring session.

This story has a happy ending though. After about the same thing happening with two of the other better fighters at the gym I decided I would watch him spar to see if he had improved. Now he is starting to fight under control and with a lot less anger.

Moral is, sometimes its not nice, but not everyone responds to words. I know a lot of fighters feel like when they are throwing everything into there attacks they are fighting well and it takes a good shot to the body to let them know that just because it feels strong doesn't mean they are fighting well and that the only reason they aren't being pounded with to hell is because the people that they are sparring have a lot more skill, control, and discipline then them.

Maybe he was one of the Never Back Down crowd :D if so I hope we can fix him completely.

no uyou dont want to knock them around because they seem to like it.

what you do is talk to the instructor and get him to sit down and talk to them. tell them that they have to understand how hard to go for safety reasons and the purpose of sparring. The hard stuff will come later for competition and training properly will help for that. if they can't understand that, they probably should leave

Your Kru sucks. I mean, Traditional Muay Thai is all about respect, your Kru should be teaching this.

Come to think of it, your instructor probably isn't a Kru to begin with. Go find another instructor.

guys like that are dangerous... period. those who say no hav enever had a cocksucker liek that come off the street and try to beat u up to pump his ego. It's disrespectful and dishonorable. At first I'll guide the guy for a while and try to tell him the code of the school and on respect but if he continues and doesn't listen ( couple months usually) then it's time to lay a beat down. And I have no problem doing it because now he is putting me in danger.

These guys really need to be put in their place, not being able to control yourself shows a.) your lack of skill and b.) that you are immature. Whenever i'm sparring with somebody and they are going way too hard on me I don't lose my cool I let them throw a few full powered shots and block them and kind of stare them in the eyes like chill out and if they keep do it I wait for an opening I hit them on the chin or in the floating rib with a straight HARD then they slow down.

i agree with the leg / body shots principal. Also i think making someone feel like a complete newb works nicely too. Taking them apart technically, without hurting them, just making them feel like they cant do anything right. Seen it a few times and usually the ego deflates pretty quickly once they start getting tooled.

It's hard to make a judgment call on this one, why not just tell the guy he's being a dick and that if he doesn't stop you'll knock him out? Should work.

i've seen a full out fight between a junior instructor and a guy similar to the one you described. the instructor put him in his place and since that fight the guy has become more respectful and has eased up on some of the people he was bullying.

some people are fucking dumb and need to be put in their place

So this came up last night at MT. There are a couple of immature dickheads who've been coming for a while and when they spar they go really hard. Basically they try to hurt you instead of improving their game. So this class one of the guys who's more experienced starts sparring with one of these idiots. Our instructor told the more experienced guy to knock the jackass out. He ended up really pummeling him but didn't knock him out because he felt bad for the guy.

Mind you this guy probably needs to get knocked out 'cause he's hurting some of the newer guys and that's uncool. He treats sparring sessions like fights. However, I think he's the kind of guy who's ego wouldn't permit him to learn from his mistakes. Rather if he were knocked out he'll try harder to really hurt the guy he's sparring the next time. Hopefully I'm wrong, who knows.

Anyway, anyone else get a request like this from their MT instructor before? If so did those people learn or just go crazier when sparring?

Where you train? Ultimate Martial Arts?

It's hard to make a judgment call on this one, why not just tell the guy he's being a dick and that if he doesn't stop you'll knock him out? Should work.

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards as the solution to this situation. I figure next time I'll grab him for my sparring partner and let him know what's up. If he goes nuts after that I'll really rip into him a la body shots and let him know what's up.

Where you train? Ultimate Martial Arts?

Victory fight club.

KOing someone in the gym on purpose is not ok. Nailing with them with bodyshots and low kicks (low kicks will bug you for a week if you get hit enough) is usually better.

I think it's a double edged sword really, if you approach the situation the way everyone on here has been saying. KO'ing a guy is pretty bad but what if the guys job is something physically demanding and you break/bruise a rib or mangle up his legs so he can't walk for a few days? I guess the best thing would be to just pull the guy to the side and let him know to stop being a tard.

Yes, but anyone going too rough in sparring is not considering this for you.

Back