Movies KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (Dragonlord's Reacton, post #38)

If you have seen KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Kingdom of the Spiders was on TV today. Underrated Shatner flick.

I loved that last trilogy. Hope it doesn’t disappoint!

CG looks unfinished, especially Caesar. They still have time to fix it.

Story seems pretty cool. I’m glad there’s a new director. Wasn’t a fan of part 2 and 3, directed by Matt Reeves. But I loved the first one.

I like the first one, the 2nd one was good, I dislike the third because it became too melodrama.

The first film of this rebooted version is ranked 2nd, along with the original 1968, for me within the entire franchise. Conquest, 1972, is top. This rant is what made it the best for me.

But what about a Planet of the Apes / Jurassic Park crossover?

2180695967-3-11.gif

Caesar died.

It was a bummer.

I’m a bit torn on that third movie. It was certainly a good film but I thought it pales in comparison to its predecessors. Franco/Frieda/Lithgow film was a great setup. Dawn was the best of them in my opinion. Just an awesome move. And Caesar and Koba were fully realized, excellent protagonist and villain combination. Very good actors playing the human characters too- Jason Clarke, Keri Russell, Gary Oldman!

Third had Woody, who is always very good but was a downgrade of a villain from Koba. Steve Zahn’s character Bad Ape sort of stole the film from what I remember. Rest of it felt like it just couldn’t live up to Dawn and I think that hurt my enjoyment of it overall.

Still, a really impressive trilogy.

Tim Burton 2001 film was an example of having awesome production values (Roth, Giamatti, Duncan, etc, looked awesome with traditional makeup and prosthetics work) but not having a lot else going for it. Dull film with a ludicrous can’t-compare-to-Serling twist ending. Actually I also thought Tim Roth’s performance was terrific but that couldn’t carry the weight of the film.

I enjoyed the most recent trilogy although I have never had any interest in re-watching any of them.

The director, Wes Ball, did the Maze Runner series and not much else. Seems like a big step up but the producer team is the same as the earlier films.

Based on the trailer, it looks well made.

I enjoyed the most recent trilogy although I have never had any interest in re-watching any of them.

The director, Wes Ball, did the Maze Runner series and not much else. Seems like a big step up but the producer team is the same as the earlier films.

Based on the trailer, it looks well made.

It's the only reboot I can think of in recent memory that went three movies without stepping in dog shit. Star Trek, blech. Star Wars, dear lord. Creed 3, poopy doo. Jurassic Universe, barf.

I like the first one, the 2nd one was good, I dislike the third because it became too melodrama.

The first film of this rebooted version is ranked 2nd, along with the original 1968, for me within the entire franchise. Conquest, 1972, is top. This rant is what made it the best for me.

Dude.. yes!

I love conquest. That movie is the shit

I feel like people just write off those original sequels in the 70s.. but to be fair beneath the planet of the apes was not very good.. so i dont think many people atleast not my age watched conquest. Such a good movie, but then it goes onto battle or war or whatever and its not as good.

If this movie is good, and it doesn't show the scientists from the 68 version or mention them.. then I think it could be cool to see that movie but from the side of the apes.

But I also have a feeling that this movie the girl they're showing is potentially from the past. Look at her clothes compared to the other wild humans

Dude.. yes!

I love conquest. That movie is the shit

I feel like people just write off those original sequels in the 70s.. but to be fair beneath the planet of the apes was not very good.. so i dont think many people atleast not my age watched conquest. Such a good movie, but then it goes onto battle or war or whatever and its not as good.

I agree. For the original run, the first one was good, Conquest was Great. The other two, Beneath and Escape was passable with some moments that are good but not worth mentioning when compared to the entire franchise including the reboot version. Battle was the worst out of the original run. Been years since I watched them though.

KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - 7/10
A pleasant enough movie but disappointed that it didn't go all out. Story felt small and the plot felt too familiar from previous Apes movies. It seemed to me that they held back and it becomes painfully obvious at the end when you can see they are clearly aiming for another trilogy. Outstanding visual effects, just seamless. The orangutan Raka was the favorite character, hope to see again in the sequels. I thought it was a mistake to introduce the main antagonist in the third act, should have been introduced much earlier. Lukewarm recommendation on seeing this in theaters.

DwCZy6v.jpeg

A movie starring apes has no business being this good.
I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was. Interesting story and characters. There's a lot more nuance and they set this up real nice for future installments. Great pacing and world building as well.
It's crazy how good the CGI is.

My only complaint is I thought the human girl character was a bit lacking, and I had some issue with her story, but, overall, good viewing experience.
4.3/5

Im in the theater now about to watch this. Will give my thoughts after.

I love Planet of the Apes so this is a must see for me. The original movie is one of my all time favorites. I even like some of the sequels

And the reboot trilogy was pretty solid, especially the first two movies.

Back