Kind of OT - anyone here musically inclined?

Tornado

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was wondering who among us are musically inclined and have been able to incorporate their musical ability into their S&P training? I've been fortunate enough to have learned piano at a young age and I played at high level...then took a lay off of six or so years....so now what I do is practice piano for an hour or so a couple of times a week, usually after workouts requiring grip strength, and I noticed that in the last month my fingers are starting to thicken out even more from playing piano. That aside my rhythm and timing while lifting, hitting the bag, or grappling have improved substantially as well.

So, in addition to your regular workouts, do any of you regularly practice a musical instrument just for pleasure?

I've decided to learn bass guitar. I started to play guitar, but I got sidetracked with the baby's birth.

I've been involved in music since I was a little kid right up through college, but it's never had any effect on my lifting...I'm not following you on that part.

I pretend I'm finger-banging Amy Lee...does that count?

CosmicOsmo - what I noticed is I started treating each rep like I would a bar and that I end up using musical timing instead of counting seconds to keep track of my tempo. it's weird, I know.

Barut - why not play to the baby?

I generally play guitar for at least an hour a day. I can't say it has any impact on my training.

I started playing guitar in 1997. I still play almost daily. I've been playing the drums for a couple years now. My band's last gig was in March at a bar smaller than most living rooms. I can sing okay, but I only sing 2 or 3 songs per set since I switched to drums.

I haven't noticed any carry over from guitar, other than calluses, and drumming has probably done more harm than good to my shoulders. I've never had lessons, so I didn't learn how to control the bounce of the stick correctly (which can lead to all sorts of arm ailments) That, and I used to be extremely tense when I played. I've also got fucked up shoulders from wrestling and snowboarding.

I had to go back and teach myself how to play correctly and relax, but now I don't get the pain I used to get after playing. Lifting and staying in shape has made me a better musician, but I don't think playing an instrument has made me better at lifting.

I've played drums since junior high, and I sometimes will hop on drums at a friends if their drummer is out of town. I notice that I tire much quicker now. but I don't play as frequently as in the past. Heavy lifting doesn't jive with drumming too well, but I'd attribute much of that to being tired and sore from lifting.

I've played guitar and bass in a few bands. I still play both about every day. I see no correlation between playing guitar and strength training.

Edit: Actually, I would say most musicians are stereotyped as not being athletic.

Bacon - I had the same problem of being too tense when I first started playing drums too. It was annoying because I knew if I kept it up I wouldn't last long and that I'd be wearing out my shoulders and wrists. Then I had to get rid of the ego and take a couple of lessons, hehe. My main problem with drums now is my foot cramping up on bass. My feet just can't stay away from the pedals, hehe.

Guitar for more time than I care to remember (and I still suck). I suppose my grip might be a little stronger due to bar chords (I play classic so there's a need to really nail the bastards down sometimes), but since I do it with my dominant hand, I can't really tell the difference anyway.

Singing, on the other hand, works fine for breathing control (and I breathe with my belly like a pro :icon_chee).

When I first started playing drums, I'd just grab the sticks and hit shit as hard as could. Bad idea. Reteaching yourself how NOT to be a spaz is hard, but I don't have those issues these days.

When I first started playing drums, I'd just grab the sticks and hit shit as hard as could. Bad idea. Reteaching yourself how NOT to be a spaz is hard, but I don't have those issues these days.

I played drums in my buddy's band for a few months. Nothing too technical just basic 4/4. Being a drummer probably carries over to training the most though because you have to lug all that shit around. Good GPP.

I played drums in my buddy's band for a few months. Nothing too technical just basic 4/4. Being a drummer probably carries over to training the most though because you have to lug all that shit around. Good GPP.

No shit. Especially if you're in my band. I'm pretty skinny by S&P standards, but compared to my band mates, I'm Hulk fuckin Hogan. Not to mention I'm the only one with a truck, so I usually end up loading and loading my drums, the guitar equipment (it's mine) the PA (it's mine) and the heavy-as-fuck bass cabinet (bass player leaves it at my house).

Pics of the band.

Me on guitar at my brother's wedding.

TheBandTimmah.jpg

Me on drums at a halloween party. Plaid drums for the win.
band2.jpg

bacon, is that your Line 6 amp head? And it might just be the angle but is that a smaller scale bass guitar your bassist is playing.

I've decided on getting a precision bass next.

I own most of the shit in both pictures. The only thing I don't own is the bass equipment. The bass he's using is a Squire. It's full size.

Liquid,
We're working on getting decent recordings. If that ever happens (don't hold your breath) I'll post something for you guys to boo at.

Back