Kind of OT - anyone here musically inclined?

I love my bass. Such a fine instrument that often gets overlooked because everyone and his mom plays guitar. Although...I do wish I could play guitar, as well.

I thank my bass teacher for making me learns songs I wouldn't normally touch. We played mostly blues and country/bluegrass and I wouldn't of had it any other way.

I guess there is a reason all the ancient warriors learned instruments...keeps ya' sane.

Started playing bass guitar.The only correlation between this and strength training would be when I have to carry around the big ass amp.

My forearm strength is shit. i kills me in the gym and on the guitar. I've played for ... shit 10 years though only for 2-3 years did I give a shit. I would love to get into it and I think as I finish up with school I will rediscover it.

Anyway my guitar is pretty much the sexiest object in the world. Only an Epi LP but it's got this sexy quilted blue finish, copper knobs, and Gigantic 50's style whammy bar. I'd tell you the name of my old band but then you'd find the music and... ugh... I HAD TO SING NO ONE ELSE WOULD.

I have played piano for about 10 years, violin for 3, and guitar for about 4. I still play piano and have serenaded the S&P with classics such as Maple leaf rag, turkish march, and STFU Bama.

What kind of axe is that? Do I detect a floyd rose trem on it?

I'm not sure if that was directed at my picture post, but that is actually a Washburn bass from a thrift store. Another thing that I did a lot was throw/break guitars/basses. I ended up buying a lot of bass's secondhand for shows. I only broke two guitars, one being a $600 strat. Again, I was a drunk madman and I'm glad those days are over.

The only effect Training has on my music is that I make Waaaaaay less music when in training mode. Because making music is like a totally different state of mind than aggro train mode. I like to be relaxed and inspired/happy to make music. When I work out I'm so far from that. If anyone wants to check out my beats (all original composition) (kinda dj shadow-ish) check it out <li><a href="http://www.myspace.com/dialect1">Here!!!!</a></li>

Does 9 or ten years on the violin count? It was from age 3 to 13, so it's pretty far behind me now (25 atm)...

I have an electric guitar standing in the corner now that has been begging me to learn to play it for YEARS but I somehow never get around to it.

I play guitar a little (I can strum to a rhythm, that's about it), write songs (country/southern rock/bluegrass) and am majorin' in music business and production.

Only carryover I've found is that I need some pumpin' music when I'm trainin', and DOH deadlifts helped me get barre chords.

started with brass at 6, also been drumming for ages. i understand the basics of keys, strings, nothing on woodwinds, but how hard can it be haha

instrument of choice is drumming now. ive got awards galore from the years of brass (trombone mostly), but i gave it up. its fine on the body if you use the right technique (hey, i think ive heard that before), shoulders dont move much if you're doing it right

i think drumming has some of the most carryover out of the instruments. my legs and arms are nimble, hands and feet deadly fast. ive got a lot ofmuch rhythm and control; combinations, complex routines, all come easy just from drumming. a girl (go figure) got me into dancing a few months ago, and things like steps, foot placement are come fast

Played guitar on and off forever.
I played a fretless homemade electric bass for several years. Once you go fretless you'll never go back.

My actual playing skills suck, but I think I have a knack for songwriting / composing. Which to me, is partly about editing clips of OK music into combinations that make it really good music, using various tracks and effects. It's also partly just having an ear for good songs.
Lyrics are underrated. Bad lyrics over stellar music = crappy song.

I always felt like I coulda been a good song writer / composer given the time and equipment.

I've recorded some goofing around stuff.

Here's a song I composed and performed (solo) several years ago using a little computer mic and a several track recorder. The sound quality suck, but nothing is sampled. Everything is voice, guitar, or me hitting my hand on the desk for the beat. The vid is something thrown together:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/luR3ZFVcslI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/luR3ZFVcslI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

BB, will you adopt me?

*swoons for avant garde guru*

I remember seein' that vid before, BB. It wasn't too bad if I remember right. lol.
I agree that lyrics make a song. Most of my writin' is comin' up with lyrics and an idea of how I want the melody, and then seein' what chords sound good to me with it.

I clearly see a connection between workouts and musical exercises. Especially on the mental thing.
When I try to mix 2 tracks and I don't get the damn beats matched and the tuned in track is going to it's end ... I could cry. Same to some bloody exercises at the gym. You have to do 15reps [fill in most hated ex] and the last few just won't get out you.
Someday you get better and it's more fun. And you never stop to improve.

I've been playing guitar for about 14 years now. I don't play as much these days and I haven't found that lifting, MMA etc has impacted at all on it - other than the time restrictions I now have.

That's a trippy song man!

Played guitar on and off forever.
I played a fretless homemade electric bass for several years. Once you go fretless you'll never go back.

My actual playing skills suck, but I think I have a knack for songwriting / composing. Which to me, is partly about editing clips of OK music into combinations that make it really good music, using various tracks and effects. It's also partly just having an ear for good songs.
Lyrics are underrated. Bad lyrics over stellar music = crappy song.

I always felt like I coulda been a good song writer / composer given the time and equipment.

I've recorded some goofing around stuff.

Here's a song I composed and performed (solo) several years ago using a little computer mic and a several track recorder. The sound quality suck, but nothing is sampled. Everything is voice, guitar, or me hitting my hand on the desk for the beat. The vid is something thrown together:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/luR3ZFVcslI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/luR3ZFVcslI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Djembe and Doumbeck drumming, 4 years or so.

been playing guitar for awhile now.
Yesterday i noticed a funny thing. I had ordered some GRRRIP liquid because chalk is forbidden were i train. So i tried it out and afterwards when i went to play guitar my hands were dry the whole session hehe
Seems to work really well for musicians ;)

Different perspective.

I was in marching band for four years in highschool. I find it helpful in keeping in step with opponents and timing throws, even though I still suck.

Back