Killer Double Leg Takedown

What about da lava? Or cliffs?

You could get seriously hurt trying these manuevers. You would be better off using a defensive Wing Chun stance that allows optimum mobility and the ability to disengage if your opponent knows the grapple.

Stoic1 said:
What about da lava? Or cliffs?

You could get seriously hurt trying these manuevers. You would be better off using a defensive Wing Chun stance that allows optimum mobility and the ability to disengage if your opponent knows the grapple.

wrong forum pal

What do you mean, sir? I don't understand.

Scroll down this link and it has some judo throws in action ( gifs, not vids)

Bmonk said:
Ouchigari is good, but it isn't aggresive enough.

If you land someone on the ground with a haraigoshi, chances are the fight is basically over.

yeh right on their neck ouch

but from ouchigari you could soccer kick and then go away

I set up the double leg with a snap down (this works great from the clinch). If the guy lets you snap him down, then knee him in the face. If not, hes going to resist by straigtening up hard. As soon as he does you let up the pressure on the clinch, change levels, and explode into the double.
If I were going to shoot a double on the street I definetly wouldn't put my knee down; its way to easy to stagnate in that position, and if the guy does even a halfassed sprawl you're going to get involved in a dog fight. Also you're more susceptible to chokes.
I'd stay upright more, and drive into him harder. If you don't go to your knee you can adjust your position a lot easier, and back out of a bad position.

VagabondMusashi said:
This is THE most important takedown, ESPECIALLY on street situations, and I want mine to be perfect.

try running away if you are on the street...

The double and single-leg shots from folkstyle and freestyle wrestling may be awesome in MMA, but on the street, you really can't use them. I know people usually turn to wrestling for takedowns rather than BJJ, but if it's for a street fight, I'd really look to BJJ for takedowns. The reason being, BJJ was made for streetfighting anyways, so the takedowns work for when guys are throwing haymakers at you. If you haven't seen the Cesar Gracie DVDs, he has a good section on takedowns. Start off by going for the basic bodylock clinch. If he sprawls his hips back, grab the back of one of his legs, and walk your legs forward until your hips are basically under his crotch (this takes less energy than a forward drive and works better), and use your leg to trip his other leg. You can also go around to the side, or to the back. And of course, from that position, you can get a hip throw.

Oh, and by the way, Judo throws will work with a t-shirt. Don't expect to be able to repeatedly do them. But they do work. In Bas Rutten's Lethal Streetfighting DVD, he shows a Judo throw by grabbing Amir's t-shirt and throwing him with it.

But yeah. I'd go with BJJ for street takedowns, but Judo and Greco-Roman wouldn't hurt either. (For street purposes, I'd pick Judo over Greco-Roman, because at least there are foot sweeps and trips allowed)

I see guys hit the double and single leg without hitting their knee to the mat, and it works, but honestly I believe without hitting your knee to the mat, you're taking the science out of the takedown. The entire purpose of hitting your knee to the mat is that you're lowering your body under his hips (the center of mass in humans), and then you're using your leg power by standing up to take him off balance. My wrestling coach, Wayne Griffin, lives, breathes, and sleeps wrestling; no lie. Other than his secondary job as a teacher, wrestling is his entire life. So he shows us some awesome stuff. And when he shows a perfectly executed double-leg, it takes no effort. He uses his leg power and the placement of his shoulder and the positioning of his body to take you off balance. In fact, when we do live wrestling, and he gets a double leg, all he needs to do is stand up to take you down. He doesn't even have to drive.

So unless you have iron knees, I suggest avoiding double and single legs. You're much better off doing BJJ or Judo takedowns on the street. Here's a good list of videos and DVDs for takedowns on the street.

-Vale Tudo Takedowns 2 DVD set by Darrell Gholar
-Ultimate Throws for Vale Tudo by Darrell Gholar
-Judo for MMA by Karo Parisyan
-Mario Sperry Vale Tudo Takedown DVD
-Mario Sperry Vale Tudo Striking and Takedowns DVD
-Cesar Gracie BJJ 3 DVD Set
-Randy Couture instructionals

and surprisingly...

-Bas Rutten's Big DVDs of Combat

^^^ He hands it over to Mansour Heidari; 3 time Iranian national wrestling champion. So even though Bas isn't a wrestler, he makes sure to put a great takedown section in his DVDs.

I understand what you're saying about not dropping the knee. Don't take this the wrong way, but are you a highschool wrestler? The reason I ask is that as you get higher in wrestling it becomes less and less likely that you're going to get a perfect double on someone, where you can drop your knee (same thing applys on the street). Thats why you have to modify it, and set it up.
You're absolutely right its a less technical move, but I belive its higher percentage in terms of finishing it, and lower percentage in terms of having a guillotien or heavy sprawl put on you.

Iceman5592 said:
-Bas Rutten's Big DVDs of Combat

^^^ He hands it over to Mansour Heidari; 3 time Iranian national wrestling champion. So even though Bas isn't a wrestler, he makes sure to put a great takedown section in his DVDs.

that iranian guy was a real beast

it was funny to see a big guy like bas being tossed like a rag doll and his face like "man, he is going to hurt me bad!" (which really happened, he injuried his back)

Lean over and grab his ankle/heels and jerk 'em out from under him. Its great for laughs.

Iceman5592 said:
The double and single-leg shots from folkstyle and freestyle wrestling may be awesome in MMA, but on the street, you really can't use them. I know people usually turn to wrestling for takedowns rather than BJJ, but if it's for a street fight, I'd really look to BJJ for takedowns.

That's because you're stupid. There are more techniques in wrestling than doubles and singles.

if I do a double leg, right before I shoot I'll step slighty to the left or right (depends on position and if he is a righty or lefty) this helps to not getting caught in the Guillotine. But I still rather use a good throw.

I'm not a wrestler but usually how i set up a takedown is either two ways:

I usually start to throw a flurry of punches...set it up however you want and shoot in after you throw a big right hand (or left hand for you southpaws) that goes right into a double/single leg.

That or you can take the non-aggressive approach that worked decent for me the other day...The guy came in with a 1-2 with a lead kick and as soon as he let the kick go, I dropped in for a low single on that leg...just be careful you dont catch that kick in the face. A good person to watch for awsome takedowns is Sakuraba. He usually does that takedown I just describe on alot of ppl I can actually think of 2...Igor and Silva (the 2nd fight).

I know some ppl dont want to shoot in low cause of the pavement, and might burn up there knees...but it's fighting not weaving baskets...you're going to take your bumps and bruises...

Honestly tho I wouldnt take the person down in a fight I'd rather trade with them...get somebody in a muay thai plum and they will have no idea what to do and you can easily make them your b*tch...that is if for the average joe of course.

I'm basically looking for some solid instructional material on takedowns and ground control.

It would seem that Randy's instructionals would be a good way to go. Can anyone who has the series tell me about the quality of the dvd's and the material?

I definitely prefer the single leg. You can come in low and hide your face and it works well with big guys too. Sakuraba style.

first off let me say that:

You can NOT get good at takedowns by just watching MMA fights and trying to copy them. You have to learn the actual move well and drill it over and over and over.

second:

you do NOT shoot from a mile away like most noobs think you do. The point of a takedown is to hit it when they opponent isn't ready for it. They have to be 100% too, not some half assed attempt.

Those of you who say a double leg won't work on the streets... are you fucking smoking crack? A double leg with lift = fucking smashed skull of whoever is on the receiving end period. What is a little scratch on your knee compared to that? If you say otherwise, you clearly have not practiced takedowns enough.

A good setup:

1) Get into the clinch with whoever you are fighting by any means (even just running into him and clinching).

2) FIGHT FOR THE DAMN UNDERHOOKS. You don't need both, but that would be preferred, and also keep your center of gravity lower than his.

3) Lets say you have the left underhook. Keep it tight and put your right hand behind his head (tight as well).

4) step back and snap his head down explosively (like literally try to throw his head towards the ground).

5) His head will most likely pop back up, and now is the golden opportunity where you shoot. lower your level and step in with your right foot and drop to the right knee.

6) with your right arm you should grab between his legs and around his RIGHT THIGH. Your left arm should come down easily to clasp hands with your right hand since you had the underhook. Your head should be tight to his right hip.

From here there are 2 things that you can do:

1) drive forward and around him and lift the leg as hard as you can for the takedown

or

2) After shooting and grabbing high on his thigh and moving your left arm down, take your right arm out and put it around his left leg (double leg) and LIFT the guy up (just look up and stand up HARD). Tilt the guy so his head is near the ground and land on it. End of fight.

I hope these tips helped a little at least.

Well, if your main concern is "the street", you most likely won't be shooting the standard wrestling double or single leg takedown. The reason a wrestler's knee goes to the mat (btw, you really should be skimming the mat not bouncing off of it because that helps to kill your shot) is because his opponent is crouched in a wrestling stance, so the shooter has to get lower than him to effectively shoot. Because if you don't your going to have to shoot through his head & that isn't going to work: remember the Henderson v. Bustamante fight and the whining about a head butt, it wasn't a head butt it was good takedown defense & poor shot selection. Bustamante tried a shot from a higher position, going downwards through Henderson's head, Henderson changed his level & Bustamante smashed his own face. Good example of what happens if you try to shoot through your opponent's head.

Now on the "street" most guys aren't going to be in a crouch, so you don't have to go so low. Even with a substantial height difference you should be able to hit a double with out banging your knee on the ground.
If necessary go for a higher shot, around the hips or waist; hit a solid high dive it will be just as effective.

Back