Killer Double Leg Takedown

VagabondMusashi

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is THE most important takedown, ESPECIALLY on street situations, and I want mine to be perfect. How do you guys do it? Do you put a knee on the floor, wrestling style, or do you just bend over? Do you grab the thighs, behind the knees, or do you just grab the waist and trip them ( not a DLT but similar in street usage)?

I want an explosive takedown, lightining quick and very violent so that it will at least stun the opponent when he falls. I train knee-down, then shoot style for BJJ but I am not satisfied with how it

I'd actually prefer a throw where you stay standing for the street, maybe something like a seoi-nage (shoulder throw). Easier to get the hell out of there/stomp them(if you're that sort of person).

I'll leave one of the wrestlers the give you advice on the double leg, but there is more than one variation btw.

On the street I'd also preffer a standing throw over a double leg. I'd go for a HaraiGoshi, or even a Uki-Goshi.

For the double leg, I like putting the knee down like the wrestlers, but that's just me.

Let the wrestlers explain the mechanics since I'm sure they'll do a better job.

im a wrestler and i would not go on one knee and grab i would hip toss instead and get him too the floor

btw i dont know the judo terms of the moves i just know how to do them

yeah i agree dont go down on one knee unless you have to. that mark coleman/kerr stuff just isnt reliable. if your looking for something to get you on theground & in control you can never lose with an osotagarhi or just your standard greco underhook slam.

Grabbing on the breast will get you kneed on the nads for sure...what Im looking for is an explosive, safe way to take your opponent down agressively.

Safest way is a good setup. If you want to be safe, you must do it when he

I'd go for a single then sweep the remaining leg, I don't like the idea of possibly splitting my skull open if he grabs a headlock and we hit the floor.

You would easily be countered with A) elbow to the back of the head B) Palm slap to the neck. Both rendering you completely unconscious, or C) teh deadly eyegouge.

Stoic1 said:
You would easily be countered with A) elbow to the back of the head B) Palm slap to the neck. Both rendering you completely unconscious, or C) teh deadly eyegouge.

Are you reffering to the double leg or the clinch?

Don't hate on the clinch, I have used it effectively many times in real life situations.

mmahamzah said:
ouchigari would be the best

Ouchigari is good, but it isn't aggresive enough.

If you land someone on the ground with a haraigoshi, chances are the fight is basically over.

VagabondMusashi said:
This is THE most important takedown, ESPECIALLY on street situations, and I want mine to be perfect. How do you guys do it? Do you put a knee on the floor, wrestling style, or do you just bend over? Do you grab the thighs, behind the knees, or do you just grab the waist and trip them ( not a DLT but similar in street usage)?

I want an explosive takedown, lightining quick and very violent so that it will at least stun the opponent when he falls. I train knee-down, then shoot style for BJJ but I am not satisfied with how it

I'm with superbeast on the single leg...seems a bit safer.

Thanks for all the input fellas, thanks a lot Corey123, why dont you fellas go ahead and state which takedowns you prefer in real life and how you set them up, and what you intend with them ( what you intend to do afterwards i.e. jab, single leg takedown, then heel hook , pop that knee and run for it)

great input so far

LCDforMe said:
I'm with superbeast on the single leg...seems a bit safer.

I agree.

I prefer the single-leg to the double-leg. Why? Because if I get a single-leg I have more options, and safer options. When I have the single-leg I can pick it up and trip them, lift and throw them off balance, or even switch to the double-leg. I also will be safer from people trying to choke me...and IMO it works better against heavier opponents. Because when I'm shooting for a double-leg all the heavier opponent has to do is sprawl and keep his weight on me, and it's a very uncomfortable position. With a single leg, I can just shoot fast and pick up the leg, and I will advoid the heavier opponent's weight. He could cross-face me though, so I'll have to stay tight to him. But anyways, I like the single-leg alot better.

Back