khamzat still not a champ while Pereira is 2x champ

JAL

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
i remember in 2020 when he first came to UFC everyone was like this guy definitely becoming a champ, especially when he was booked against Edward 3 months after his UFC debut.. its been 3 years and he is still not fighting for the belt, dude wasted 3 years of his prime... Alex on the other debuted in 2021 and is a double champ.

According to Khamzat, that's because nobody wants to fight him.

To be fair, Alex did get a fast track to the title. I'm guessing other fighters agree to fight Alex because they see a huge hole in Alex's game that they thought they could exploit but they all end up getting sent to Bolivia by that left hook. On the other hand Khamzat's wrestling is very dominant, so fighters ahead of him are wary of taking a fight against him and risk getting ragdolled

Let's not pretend that Pereira wasn't fast tracked to the TS because of his history with the champ. Who knows what his career would have looked like if it wasn't for this.

Khamzat blew a huge opportunity by missing weight so badly against Diaz. I agree that he might have problems getting fights, but I’m also guessing the UFC wasn’t in a hurry to rebook him after he nearly torpedoed their entire show. Also hasn’t done himself any favors by alternating weight classes and getting wins against welterweights in bouts not held at 170 lbs (Holland, Usman).

Yes, he lost some time when he was recovering from COVID-19, but I think him missing weight against Nate, then acting like he didn’t even care, cost him dearly.

According to Khamzat, that's because nobody wants to fight him.

To be fair, Alex did get a fast track to the title. I'm guessing other fighters agree to fight Alex because they see a huge hole in Alex's game that they thought they could exploit but they all end up getting sent to Bolivia by that left hook. On the other hand Khamzat's wrestling is very dominant, so fighters ahead of him are wary of taking a fight against him and risk getting ragdolled
So did chimaev. In his 4th WW fight he was fighting the number 2 ranked guy. But then he just took a side step and tried to fight Nate Diaz which he butchered that opportunity horribly.

You know you're the man when everyone is comparing everyone to you and you're just a dude in a division

Must suck for everyone else. No matter who you are and what you do, you're compared to Khamzat Chimaev lol

Not a Chimaev fan, but UFC (and lack of good wrestlers at MW) made it possible for Alex to be a double champ.
Chimaev is a disappointment, though.
He can still become champion, but he rarely fights these days.

Let's not pretend that Pereira wasn't fast tracked to the TS because of his history with the champ. Who knows what his career would have looked like if it wasn't for this.
khamzat was litrally booked to fight edward 3 months after his debut, his name fight would've been against Usman but he bottled it.

Agreed! Let’s not pretend that they weren’t trying to do the same with Khamzat but he just couldn’t hold up to the other end of the bargain!

Time moves slower out in the desert
Chimmy will get there… maybe

Khamzat blew a huge opportunity by missing weight so badly against Diaz. I agree that he might have problems getting fights, but I’m also guessing the UFC wasn’t in a hurry to rebook him after he nearly torpedoed their entire show. Also hasn’t done himself any favors by alternating weight classes and getting wins against welterweights in bouts not held at 170 lbs (Holland, Usman).

Yes, he lost some time when he was recovering from COVID-19, but I think him missing weight against Nate, then acting like he didn’t even care, cost him dearly.
Nailed it on the head here. One of the biggest fuck ups in UFC history. Dude could have been WW champ by now, at very least got his shot.

He not only messed up his own shot, but it threw a giant wrench into the WW division. All rank squatters now.

When Khamzat missed weight for the Diaz fight he ruined the biggest opportunity of his life in my opinion. Now you cannot even tell what weight class he is actually competing in after being inactive for almost year.

Alex is as active as izzy was praised for. Khamzat will fight once a year in abu Dhabi.

I fully believe it's not that no one wants to fight him but he's banned from traveling to where they hold the shows. Even if he could become champ what are you gonna do with that guy?

Back