Khabib Nurmagomedov needs that BJJ Black Belt.

So that's what the TS was saying. He should move towards BJJ to fill in the gaps in his game.

Then he can actually commit himself to the finish after the takedown/throw.

What I'm saying is that by trying to "fill in the gaps" he may 'ruin his gameplan" and "become a worse fighter"

This is an easy concept. Remember what happened to Maia when he decided to learn to kickbox.

Until Khabib is submitted by a BJJ guy or two then this thread is the grappling version of bro science.

Sambo guys know guard passing, ground control and pinning. In MMA you do not need to submit people if you can punch them on the ground so highlighting a submission stat is not valid.

Remember folks, this is an American/ BJJ centric forum. The best Sambo guys in the world will not be posting here, doing videos or selling DVD's. Instead they will be dominating MMA shortly and more so in the next few years.

What I'm saying is that by trying to "fill in the gaps" he may 'ruin his gameplan" and "become a worse fighter"

This is an easy concept. Remember what happened to Maia when he decided to learn to kickbox.

I mentioned this in another forum when people said that Ronda should be learning BJJ and using the guard more. It is totally not her or Khabib's style.

Fighters only have so much energy to train and skills to learn. Attempting to become a BJJ BB to suit the f12 fundamentalists is totally pointless to a grappler that is already at a high level.

Until Khabib is submitted by a BJJ guy or two then this thread is the grappling version of bro science.

Sambo guys know guard passing, ground control and pinning. In MMA you do not need to submit people if you can punch them on the ground so highlighting a submission stat is not valid.

Remember folks, this is an American/ BJJ centric forum. The best Sambo guys in the world will not be posting here, doing videos or selling DVD's. Instead they will be dominating MMA shortly and more so in the next few years.

hmmm this sounds familiar...

"I dont need to learn bjj, SAMBO is better" - Fedor Emelianenko, we all know what happened next.

I mentioned this in another forum when people said that Ronda should be learning BJJ and using the guard more. It is totally not her or Khabib's style.

Fighters only have so much energy to train and skills to learn. Attempting to become a BJJ BB to suit the f12 fundamentalists is totally pointless to a grappler that is already at a high level.

she dated a bjj black belt, and trains with the Gracies bros, and I dont know ronda before, but his guard game looked pretty freaking good in the last tate fight...

hmmm this sounds familiar...

"I dont need to learn bjj, SAMBO is better" - Fedor Emelianenko, we all know what happened next.

Ben Henderson gets famous for being able to avoid submissions. Gets BJJ black belt. Quickly gets subbed from guard in his very next next fight.

Well, according to Maia and Gunnar last fights, Sambo guys seem to really have a problem dealing with mount.

Ben Henderson gets famous for being able to avoid submissions. Gets BJJ black belt. Quickly gets subbed from guard in his very next next fight.

yeah, seems his escapes werent on pair with his other skills, props to pettis though, really shows his bjj training...

yeah, seems his escapes werent on pair with his other skills, props to pettis though, really shows his bjj training...

In fairness to Benson, the handstand wheel kick that nailed him full force right in his ribs before the takedown probably softened him up a bit

In fairness to Benson, the handstand wheel kick that nailed him full force right in his ribs before the takedown probably softened him up a bit

its really hard to get into the fighters mind at that time, but I think he made a mistake, he was way too deep in the armbar, technical stacking defense was the best way IMO to try to get out...

That shit blew my mind.

I fully expected Bendo to somehow snake his arm out of a sub for the umpteenth time.

I'd love to see your awareness and defense after taking the body kicks pettis laid down on Bendo.

And to answer the question . no khabib does not need a bjj black belt.

What he needs to do, now that he has stepped up his competition, is start finishing and not being content on being the jon fitch of 155.

I'd love to see your awareness and defense after taking the body kicks pettis laid down on Bendo.

I'd love to see you get the point of the post. We can't always get what we want.

But we can try sometimes.

its really hard to get into the fighters mind at that time, but I think he made a mistake, he was way too deep in the armbar, technical stacking defense was the best way IMO to try to get out...

I think the only thing on his mind was how much his body hurt from that body kick.

Seriously, being able to fight on automode is something that i have only seen in standup fighters, grapplers seem to go into dumb mode when they are hurt.

He wasn't criticizing Bendo, bro.

He was highlighting that Bendo getting a BJJ black belch didn't give him grappling super powers, which is the main point posed by people ITT who are disagreeing with the TS.

He was highlighting that Bendo getting a BJJ black belch didn't give him grappling super powers, which is the main point posed by people ITT who are disagreeing with the TS.

I've always thought his hair was a big part of it.

Against Bocek his hair 100% saved him from the Guillotine and the anaconda. He has his hair braided for the Pettis fight and gets subbed, has it down for Thomson and despite getting his back a whole bunch he was just struggling to get that RNC.

I dont think TS was being serius about getting a black belt, I think he meant that he needed to train bjj..

Habib needs striking, not BJJ. His striking is, for the most part, pretty atrocious. Certainly not good enough to compete with the top guys at LW on the feet. As soon as he faces someone like Melendez who he can't take down? He's going to end up on the wrong side of his one-sided fights.

Back