Khabib Nurmagomedov needs that BJJ Black Belt.

We don't care about your 2 stripe brown belt, you don't need it to see that Khabib has been having trouble finish lately. BJJ would give him better ground control, put him in dominant positions to gnp his opponent out or go for the finish. He hasn't been doing that lately, only TDs after TDs after TDs, and a little stand-up/light gnp here and there.

Well naturally when you're fighting better opposition it's expected that your finishing rate will go down.

I was just telling my buddy how I love how Khabib is constantly attacking, in my opinion I think he has the mindset of "I'm not going to waste time, get up for I can batter you some more and throw you again"

Top sambo guy? really?

He is an MMA guy, who was put on his first fight against Maia, he is a tune up fight.

Still Maia held him for over 10 mins on mount and he didnt tried absolutely anything but to keep position, as i said before its easy to keep position when you are not attacking.

Sayin that Nurmagomedov lacks control because a top 5 fighter could escape to the feet when Nurmagomedov was attacking is just wrong.

Try keeping side control with just one hand and posturing up, try keeping mount without using your hands to post, its not that easy, a top guy, who is also athletic requires 100% commitment to keep down, you cant have 100% commitment to keep someone down if you are also striking.

Show me any fighter that consistently passes, mounts and subs top MMA athletes.

Most are content with just keeping it safe.

jacare.

Sambo is mainly a takedown art, since it attempted to merge Judo and Wrestling which are primarily focused on takedowns.

BJJ is a ground art which has a far less focus on takedowns. A Sambo artist with a BJJ ground game would be legendary. A BJJ artist with a solid takedown game would also be legendary.

What is so difficult for these people to see that these styles complement each other?

because that clearly isn't Khabib's goal when he is fighting. When have you ever seen Khabib try and flatten someone out? Do you remember the last time Khabib tried to get leg hooks in? If he's not even trying, then maybe it isn't a "can't" but a "won't"

He takes guys down, wraps his arms around them and then puts all his weight on their back. He makes guys carry his weight when they try to get up; his legs are always in position to chase the guy if they move but never to lock the guy in. He's purposefully tiring them out, he also leaves more space to lift up and hit them in the face.

it's a game plan, man.

Jacare has not subbed a top 10 opponent, i agree though his style is probably the best MMA BJJ in the sport.

Nurmagomedov had an insane finishing rate before coming to the UFC too, as competition gets harder, finishing gets harder.

it will take him years to acquire a legit black belt. I'd say at least 6

Jacare has not subbed a top 10 opponent, i agree though his style is probably the best MMA BJJ in the sport.

Nurmagomedov had an insane finishing rate before coming to the UFC too, as competition gets harder, finishing gets harder.

7 out of 16 is hardly insane. thats less than 50% submission rato on wins.

because that clearly isn't Khabib's goal when he is fighting. When have you ever seen Khabib try and flatten someone out? Do you remember the last time Khabib tried to get leg hooks in? If he's not even trying, then maybe it isn't a "can't" but a "won't"

He takes guys down, wraps his arms around them and then puts all his weight on their back. He makes guys carry his weight when they try to get up; his legs are always in position to chase the guy if they move but never to lock the guy in. He's purposefully tiring them out, he also leaves more space to lift up and hit them in the face.

it's a game plan, man.

it could be.

it could be.

No, you need to go fu--- wait, you're agreeing this is a possibility? Huh... sorry... not... used to people on Sherdog responding to posts without a vicious counter argument

7 out of 16 is hardly insane. thats less than 50% submission rato on wins.

He has 13 finishes out of 16 fights before the UFC he is a finisher, he is aggresive, he doesnt just stalls like a lot of other grapplers.

Nobody would had dominated Dos Anjos as easily as he did for 3 rounds, nit even BJJ blackbelts or NCAA wrestlers.

No, you need to go fu--- wait, you're agreeing this is a possibility? Huh... sorry... not... used to people on Sherdog responding to posts without a vicious counter argument

Don't give him that much credit!!! Below is his response on the first page when I mentioned the exact same thing.........:

by the way, where do you get he lets his opponents down to throw them back to the ground? why waste that much energy? got a source of his fighting approach? will be interesting to read about it.

He has 13 finishes out of 16 fights before the UFC he is a finisher, he is aggresive, he doesnt just stalls like a lot of other grapplers.

Nobody would had dominated Dos Anjos as easily as he did for 3 rounds, nit even BJJ blackbelts or NCAA wrestlers.

my bad, for some reason I thought you said submissions...

Jacare isn't just looking for subs. He's also working his striking a lot nowadays too. He's a poor example here. Maia is a better person to bring up in this discussion, because he's basically always looking to grapple.

Don't give him that much credit!!! Below is his response on the first page when I mentioned the exact same thing.........:

Ha, in fairness, I actually presented my case. He never tries to flatten his opponent out, he gets them to turtle and that is when things stall--- he throws himself on their back, puts one leg on their left side and the other one on their center line and leads them to the cage. Then he just blankets them as they get up. Then he throws them again. Rinse, wash, repeat--- all while throwing bombs at the guy's side and head.

Think what Cain did to Dos Santos--- except this is how Khabib fights, instead of just a gameplan for a hard opponent. It's not just letting them get up and throwing them, but making them carry his weight in trying to get up, only to get propelled down again. It's way more energy draining to his opponent.

If I saw him losing his hooks or his opponent was slipping as he was trying to isolate a limb, it would be one thing... but that isn't how it is. Khabib never tries. He knows what he is doing.

and what did I said to you? please bring some info I would be interested in reading, then jukai says the same thing, so I said IT COULD BE...

Ha, in fairness, I actually presented my case. He never tries to flatten his opponent out, he gets them to turtle and that is when things stall--- he throws himself on their back, puts one leg on their left side and the other one on their center line and leads them to the cage. Then he just blankets them as they get up. Then he throws them again. Rinse, wash, repeat--- all while throwing bombs at the guy's side and head.

Think what Cain did to Dos Santos--- except this is how Khabib fights, instead of just a gameplan for a hard opponent. It's not just letting them get up and throwing them, but making them carry his weight in trying to get up, only to get propelled down again. It's way more energy draining to his opponent.

If I saw him losing his hooks or his opponent was slipping as he was trying to isolate a limb, it would be one thing... but that isn't how it is. Khabib never tries. He knows what he is doing.

Actually it sounds like a nice strategy for judocas in a BJJ match....well maybe not so good but fun to try...

Actually it sounds like a nice strategy for judocas in a BJJ match....well maybe not so good but fun to try...

A BJJ guy is just gonna stay in guard... :icon_conf

it's a game plan, man.

Yes, it's also possible that is his game plan because his ground game isn't as good as it could be.

How does one expect to finish a fight with a gameplan like that? You're saying he's a points fighter?

Yes, it's also possible that is his game plan because his ground game isn't as good as it could be.

How does one expect to finish a fight with a gameplan like that? You're saying he's a points fighter?

Here is my purely speculative "theory"

I don't think he WAS a point fighter. I think, because of the level of competition, he has BECOME a point fighter.

Outside of the UFC, he could make someone carry him, toss them all around, and hit them with enough rabbit punches in their face that they will just eventually be unable to fight off the submission or TKO.

In the UFC, the athletes are so well conditioned, he can no longer tire most guys out in a three round fight to the point where he can submit them or knock them out on the ground without a serious commitment to it.

So maybe he will change up his game by either going for it, or if there is a lack of submission skills and top dominance, go more towards BJJ to fill in those gaps. However, since he hasn't lost to anyone and a black belt in BJJ got held down and beaten for three rounds, I don't think that change is coming anytime soon.

Here is my purely speculative "theory"

I don't think he WAS a point fighter. I think, because of the level of competition, he has BECOME a point fighter.

Outside of the UFC, he could make someone carry him, toss them all around, and hit them with enough rabbit punches in their face that they will just eventually be unable to fight off the submission or TKO.

In the UFC, the athletes are so well conditioned, he can no longer tire most guys out in a three round fight to the point where he can submit them or knock them out on the ground without a serious commitment to it.

So maybe he will change up his game by either going for it, or if there is a lack of submission skills and top dominance, go more towards BJJ to fill in those gaps. However, since he hasn't lost to anyone and a black belt in BJJ got held down and beaten for three rounds, I don't think that change is coming anytime soon.

So that's what the TS was saying. He should move towards BJJ to fill in the gaps in his game.

Then he can actually commit himself to the finish after the takedown/throw.

Back