Khabib might not be a sambo fighter like Ben, Chael suggested

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So, Askren mentioned Khabib as the best wrestler in the UFC history, and I believe chael and Ben talked about hes pretty much a wrestler in disguise of Sambo. Obviously, no one took it seriously. I didnt.

Then, I found this. On wiki.

...In 2001, his family moved to Machachkala,[21] where he trained in wrestling at age 12, and judo from age 15. He began training in combat sambo again at 17 under his father...

At 17. He started training combat Sambo at 17. He turned pro in MMA at age 19, a week from turning 20., and won Combat Sambo world championship at age 21.

So, how legit would he be able to claim that he is really a sambo fighter, now I am not so sure.

0-32642

by your own math that's 13 years of high level sambo training. He also was a WORLD CHAMPION in SAMBO....... whats not to get?

to me it just shows how special he is to not take a life time of training to mater it and become a champion

So, Askren mentioned Khabib as the best wrestler in the UFC history, and I believe chael and Ben talked about hes pretty much a wrestler in disguise of Sambo. Obviously, no one took it seriously.

...In 2001, his family moved to Machachkala,[21] where he trained in wrestling at age 12, and judo from age 15. He began training in combat sambo again at 17 under his father...

At 17. He started training combat Sambo at 17. He turned pro in MMA at age 19, a week from turning 20., and won Combat Sambo world championship at age 21.

So, how legit would he be able to claim that he is really a sambo fighter, now I am not so sure.
The hierarchy of martial arts in Russia goes like this: Wrestling > Judo > Sambo. People who fail to become top wrestling prospects move on to Judo and then Sambo, if they cannot become a top judoka. Khabib started wrestling early, but didn't show an exceptional talent as a wrestler and moved on to Judo and Sambo.

The truth is, Khabib is neither a wrestler nor a sambo fighter. He's a complete grappler incorporating techniques from both wrestling and Judo/sambo.

Sambo is just judo with punches and no ground time limit

The hierarchy of martial arts in Russia goes like this: Wrestling > Judo > Sambo. People who fail to become top wrestling prospects move on to Judo and then Sambo, if they cannot become a top judoka. Khabib started wrestling early, but didn't show an exceptional talent as a wrestler and moved on to Judo and Sambo.

The truth is, Khabib is neither a wrestler nor a sambo fighter. He's a complete grappler incorporating techniques from both wrestling and Judo/sambo.

Unless you are Fedor.

So, Askren mentioned Khabib as the best wrestler in the UFC history, and I believe chael and Ben talked about hes pretty much a wrestler in disguise of Sambo. Obviously, no one took it seriously. I didnt.

You state he won world sambo title, but question if he should be called a sambo fighter or wrestler? How many world wrestling titles does he hold?

Khabibs style isnt pure sambo. Theres tons of russian sambo world champs in mma that dont do that great. Khabibs combination of a lifetime of wrestling, sambo and judo and probably now bjj because of training in the states makes him who he is. Khabib’s style is a hybrid of several grappling styles that makes him well suited for Mma. He wouldnt have gotten so far in mma without the sambo training but that definitely isnt the main reason hes so dominate.

Khabib is a wreslter, he only claims sambo for mother russia.

But all he uses is blanket wrestling in the ufc.

You state he won world sambo title, but question if he should be called a sambo fighter or wrestler? How many world wrestling titles does he hold?

Dude started combat sambo at 17. Turned pro at age 19 in MMA. Won combat world at age 21. Actually won some Pankrition competition a year before he won Combat world. If DC went into combat sambo, he would smash everyone. Does that make him combat sambo fighter

He doesnt sound sambo fighter if you look at it that way.

Khabibs style isnt pure sambo. Theres tons of russian sambo world champs in mma that dont do that great. Khabibs combination of a lifetime of wrestling, sambo and judo and probably now bjj because of training in the states makes him who he is. Khabib’s style is a hybrid of several grappling styles that makes him well suited for Mma. He wouldnt have gotten so far in mma without the sambo training but that definitely isnt the main reason hes so dominate.

Funny thing is Fedor fights in MMA like he fights in Sambo. Before he got KTFO obviously tho

this, and BJJ.. his guard is actually pretty nasty

so in your opinion, how many years of exclusively sambo training does it take to be called a "sambo fighter"? :)

It says he began training combat sambo AGAIN.

Thru my powers of deduction...... I think that means he trained it previously.

It says he began training combat sambo AGAIN.

Thru my powers of deduction...... I think that means he trained it previously.

He started wrestling at 8, if we do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back