Khabib might not be a sambo fighter like Ben, Chael suggested

Unless you are Fedor.
Actually fedor was a high level judoka who turned to sambo after being barred from the judo national team by a guy who went on to win a medal in the world championships (don’t remember if gold or silver) so it is quite as mentioned in the post quoted

and you "probably" base that assumption on nothing..?
based on the fact we know he's trained extensively in those arts and never competed in sport sambo?

Actually fedor was a high level judoka who turned to sambo after being barred from the judo national team by a guy who went on to win a medal in the world championships (don’t remember if gold or silver) so it is quite as mentioned in the post quoted

yeah i made a thread about it more than once
but not quite

This seems like a lot of semantics to me.

Wonderboy was a professional kickboxer before coming to MMA. But his first martial art was karate. Can we call Wonderboy a kickboxer? He probably didn’t enter his first kickboxing tournament until years after he first started karate. Is he more of a karateka than a kickboxer or a MMA fighter? Does it matter? Either way we’re simply talking about punching and kicking—the names for the sports just reference slightly different rules and competitive structures. Wonderboy didn’t stop doing karate to kickbox. He started using skills first developed in karate to participate in kickboxing events.

I’d say Khabib is the same, only with wrestling/sambo in place of karate/kickboxing. Thompson is a martial artist—primarily a striker. Khabib is a martial artist—primarily a grappler.

No one thinks Wonderboy is a kickboxer. Including Wonderyboy.

All of this discussion sounds like the scouts talking about baseball in Moneyball. I guess thats where MMA is at.

i get that. but TS's point is to question how legit it is for Khabib to be called a sambo fighter, just because he's been a wrestler for longer.
that's why i wondered how early someone would have to start sambo for TS to call a man a "sambo fighter"

Well the answer is pretty straight forward when you take into account the reasoning behind the question.

Which is, I believe, which foundational discipline should we credit Khabibs success to, and there is this notion floating around sherdog(not sure how popular it is) that it's Sambo.

TS was disproving that Sambo had played any significant role in it, and in fact it was wrestling that playiled a significant role in not only his MMA success, but his Sambo success as well

Khabib is a wrestler, judoka, and sambo practitioner... He's been doing all of them for up to 10-20 years of his life

You just said AGAIN. That implies he did it before. Derpy derp derp

started wrestling at 8.
started wrestling at 12.
started judo at 15.
started combat wrestling at 17.

If he started combat wrestling AGAIN between 12 and 17, the source would have mentioned, and we dont know how long he have before he stopped.

What we know is that he wrestled from age 8. Then 12. Then Judo at 15. Then started combat wrestling at 17 again.

Does that sound like a 'combat' sambo guy

started wrestling at 8.
started wrestling at 12.
started judo at 15.
started combat wrestling at 17.

If he started combat wrestling AGAIN between 12 and 17, the source would have mentioned, and we dont know how long he have before he stopped.

What we know is that he wrestled from age 8. Then 12. Then Judo at 15. Then started combat wrestling at 17 again.

Does that sound like a 'combat' sambo guy
You said Combat Sambo again bro.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back