Media Khabib: [Gaethje] hit like truck. No one hit me harder than Justin Gaethje

Last edited:
It's all relative no? Pretty sure last time I looked Flyweights get more KO's than Lightweights in UFC.

That might have something to do with many of the LW's in the UFC having a wrestling base. If you have a division full of bangers vs. a division full of wrestlers, the stats will be different.

Also not sure where you are getting your stats from. Moreno, the current champ at Flyweight only has 3 finishes by strikes. Figeuredo has 9, Askarov has 4. That's the top 3 guys currently

At LW, Oliveria has 9, Poirier has 14, Gaedjthe has 19.

That's top 3 guys vs. top 3 guys. So which guys are flyweight are getting more KO's?

Johnson barely touched him. People forget Khabib was injured for 2 years before the Michael Johnson fight (he fought with Horcher but that was a gimme). His timing and feel was still off. People confused that with being hurt.
Even MJ himself felt that he didn't hurt Khabib that much. Yet the haters love to cling to this punch as a win lol.
Khabib just has such an unorthodox defense, very herky jerky and weird. Makes it look like he is hurt when he is actually not (like in the Dustin fight where Khabib actually wobbled Dustin during Dustin's punching barrage in the second round). But it works extremely well for Khabib.

Man he really has a legendary chin, to be one of the goat you really have to have a crazy chin, which is more impressive that GSP was able to do what he was able to do with what I believe is/was an average chin.
I agree. Even Jones has an amazing chin.

Only other time I remember Khabib walking forward like a Terminator was against Barboza. Also you have to remember he came in with a broken foot, terrible shortened camp and was full of emotions due to his father dying so I think he wanted to end it ASAP given all those things combined.

This

He also knew it was his last fight, so he was willing to risk a little punishment to get the fight over with in a hurry

Justin did land some bombs on him and monstrous leg kicks. His effort and success was really downplayed against khabib.

Respectfully, I think you were wrong with your point. I crunched the numbers based on that source:

HOW OFTEN FIGHTS END BY KO BY WEIGHT CLASS
HW = 49.5%
LHW = 42.9%
MW = 35.6%
WW = 31.9%
LW = 26.8%
FW = 26.7%
BW = 27.0%
FLW = 22.1%

Pretty clear pattern... less weight = less KOs (in general). Interesting note about the near-parity between LW/FW/BW though.

That might have something to do with many of the LW's in the UFC having a wrestling base. If you have a division full of bangers vs. a division full of wrestlers, the stats will be different.

Also not sure where you are getting your stats from. Moreno, the current champ at Flyweight only has 3 finishes by strikes. Figeuredo has 9, Askarov has 4. That's the top 3 guys currently

That's top 3 guys vs. top 3 guys. So which guys are flyweight are getting more KO's?

See post above yours.

*didnt mean to double quote

Respectfully, I think you were wrong with your point. I crunched the numbers based on that source:

HOW OFTEN FIGHTS END BY KO BY WEIGHT CLASS
HW = 49.5%
LHW = 42.9%
MW = 35.6%
WW = 31.9%
LW = 26.8%
FW = 26.7%
BW = 27.0%
FLW = 22.1%

Pretty clear pattern... less weight = less KOs (in general). Interesting note about the near-parity between LW/FW/BW though.
Nicely done if that be correct crunching, I'm evidently shit at maths .

Man he really has a legendary chin, to be one of the goat you really have to have a crazy chin, which is more impressive that GSP was able to do what he was able to do with what I believe is/was an average chin.
Seriously. GSP devised the best way to not get hit clean, which was to grab his opponent and not let go. Pretty effective.

It's all relative no? Pretty sure last time I looked Flyweights get more KO's than Lightweights in UFC.
Wrong.

vqFPfC9.jpg

Lightweight Averages:
84 fights
29.08% knockout rate
24 knockouts

Flyweight Averages:
28 fights
22.65% knockout rate
6 knockouts

And Flyweight percentages are going to be skewed higher due to having a lower number of fights per year compared to Lightweight.

Scary, that Tony took so much clean shots and in the end his brain was even shutting down. Heavy beating tbh.

Ok, you got me, he hit him. My only point was that it is one of the most misrepresented episodes in UFC history, all because of dumbass Joe Rogan. We shouldn't even be talking about it honestly, i'm sure Khabibs been hit harder plenty of times, RDA tagged him flush a couple of times, Tibau Kneed him flush in the chin. That Michael Johnson punch probably doesn't crack top 5.
I don’t keep track of all the times Khabib got hit. Johnson hit him with a very hard and very well placed punch though

Wrong.

vqFPfC9.jpg

Lightweight Averages:
84 fights
29.08% knockout rate
24 knockouts

Flyweight Averages:
28 fights
22.65% knockout rate
6 knockouts

And Flyweight percentages are going to be skewed higher due to having a lower number of fights per year compared to Lightweight.
Indeed, I had not accounted for total fights, few posts up from yours has a larger sample size and numbers crunched to Ko%

Indeed, I had not accounted for total fights, few posts up from yours has a larger sample size and numbers crunched to Ko%
The problem with FightMatrix' numbers is that they're percentages for ALL fights, don't account for how drug testing has impacted finish rates, and since they're not listed by year they don't account for any kind of fluctuations.

For example, the Heavyweight knockout rate went from 65.6% in 2014 to 51.3% in 2016, which coincided with the introduction of USADA; additionally, the Heavyweight knockout rate went from 52.8% in 2017 all the way down to 38.2% in 2018.

The problem with FightMatrix' numbers is that they're percentages for ALL fights, don't account for how drug testing has impacted finish rates, and since they're not listed by year they don't account for any kind of fluctuations.

For example, the Heavyweight knockout rate went from 65.6% in 2014 to 51.3% in 2016, which coincided with the introduction of USADA; additionally, the Heavyweight knockout rate went from 52.8% in 2017 all the way down to 38.2% in 2018.
Interesting, appreciate the knowledge dude.

Man di Justin clock him though. Without that iron chin of Khabib, I don't know man

Back