Media Kevin Lee changes tune on Khabib.

But after watching Nurmagomedov submit Dustin Poirier in the third round at UFC 242, Lee (17-5 MMA, 10-5 UFC) no longer believes Tony Ferguson is the one to dethrone the undefeated champ.

“I got to be honest: If you asked me before the Poirier fight, I would have been like Tony (Ferguson) is still like a 90 percent chance of winning,” Lee told MMA Junkie. “After seeing what Khabib did to Poirier, I think it’s going to be very hard for Tony to beat him.”

“After the Tony fight, there’s not many more competitors that people want to see fight him. That’s one of the big motivations for me to go down 155,” said Lee, whose last fight was a loss to Rafael dos Anjos at welterweight. “I think that a lot of people want to see me get in there with Khabib, and I want to see it too.”

Nurmagomedov’s UFC 242 victory was his second title defense in another near flawless performance. But Lee, who has been unimpressed with Nurmagomedov for most of his career, finally is giving him his due. The win over Poirier got his attention.

“I’m not going to lie: It was very, very impressive, and the people know I don’t get impressed very easily, especially with a guy like Khabib, but that one is very impressive,” Lee said. “One of those fights that got me up even, it made me step my game up. Literally, as soon as that fight was over, I got in my car and started driving to Montreal. I know what type of work I got to put in now.”

I’m taking it one step at a time, one opponent at a time,” Lee said. “Each opponent, especially at lightweight, it’s the most stacked division. It’s the most talent-rich division. So I’m taking each opponent as serious, but my eye is definitely on Khabib. …

“Whoever wins that fight, I’m definitely gunning for them. A lot of people want to see me and Tony (Ferguson) have the rematch, and I think me and Khabib is a great fight for the future.”

Bw-1FbwIgAA8RbX.jpg
He might be right about Tony but he's wrong about people wanting to see him fight Khabib. People want to see him get a win. He's looked terrible in the ring. No cardio, weak standup and poor fight IQ.

He needs to fight Gregor Gillespie to determine the best wrestler to challenge Khabib.
The odd thing, looking at records and strength of schedule, Gillespie is closer to fighting that Mark Madsen from this weekend's card than Lee (an exageration, but nestled with a meaningful truth). I mean, Yancy Medeiros is his best win, someone that has beat Barboza and Chiesa is a big step up.

He might be right about Tony but he's wrong about people wanting to see him fight Khabib. People want to see him get a win. He's looked terrible in the ring. No cardio, weak standup and poor fight IQ.
Yeahh, I do agree

The odd thing, looking at records and strength of schedule, Gillespie is closer to fighting that Mark Madsen from this weekend's card than Lee (an exageration, but nestled with a meaningful truth). I mean, Yancy Medeiros is his best win, someone that has beat Barboza and Chiesa is a big step up.

Kevin Lee is on a two fight losing streak and Gregor needs that step up. Sooner rather than later. He's won 6 UFC fights in dominant fashion and another fighter on Yancy's level won't tell us anything about him. Madsen just got to the UFC, he needs to work his way up.

I was impressed with Lee too. But he needs to get his shit together and get a proper camp.

Lee's got talent but needs to improve his cardio. Easier said than done but lack of cardio makes us all cowards. Also needs to win his next fight since a third straight loss would be really devastating and hard to overcome, especially for a proud guy like him

Good one ... did you come up with it? Serious question.
haha Sometimes it can be cliche and corny but yes, I come up with all my sherdog material

Brendan Schaub is my comedic influence.

Kevin Lee is on a two fight losing streak and Gregor needs that step up. Sooner rather than later. He's won 6 UFC fights in dominant fashion and another fighter on Yancy's level won't tell us anything about him. Madsen just got to the UFC, he needs to work his way up.
Agreed, I just wanted to awknowledge that a fight between Lee and Gregor doesn't determine who the best wrestler to fight Khabib is. Even after just one fight, Madsen isn't far off being able to be considered as good as Gregor considering his best win is Yancy. If Madsen gets a fight in before Gregor again, his position in this division can be the same if it is a top 12 guy.

Agreed, I just wanted to awknowledge that a fight between Lee and Gregor doesn't determine who the best wrestler to fight Khabib is. Even after just one fight, Madsen isn't far off being able to be considered as good as Gregor considering his best win is Yancy. If Madsen gets a fight in before Gregor again, his position in this division can be the same if it is a top 12 guy.

Lol no. Madsen is a couple years away from contention. It took Gillespie 6 fights to get to where he is now. Khabib will be retired by the time Madsen gets to a title shot. So Gillespie/Lee is the best opportunity to see a high level wrestler face Khabib. Madsen isn't even on my radar as an opponent for Khabib because he only had a few fights left.

Lol no. Madsen is a couple years away from contention. It took Gillespie 6 fights to get to where he is now. Khabib will be retired by the time Madsen gets to a title shot. So Gillespie/Lee is the best opportunity to see a high level wrestler face Khabib. Madsen isn't even on my radar as an opponent for Khabib because he only had a few fights left.
Do you think his plan is to get on a six fight win streak over the next two years before getting a top 15 like Gregor? At 35, I hope that isn't his plan. That would be disappointing.

Do you think his plan is to get on a six fight win streak over the next two years before getting a top 15 like Gregor? At 35, I hope that isn't his plan. That would be disappointing.

He still has to work his way up like everyone else. He fought a can in his last fight.

He still has to work his way up like everyone else. He fought a can in his last fight.
Do you think there is variability to that and I'm not talking Brock?

For example, do you think Gregor worked his way up the ranks as fast as he could or he wanted to go slower to really develop his skills? Do you think he had a choice in the matter or is the road is the same for everyone that keeps winning?

Do you think there is variability to that and I'm not talking Brock?

For example, do you think Gregor worked his way up the ranks as fast as he could or he wanted to go slower to really develop his skills? Do you think he had a choice in the matter or is the road is the same for everyone that keeps winning?

Do you think Gregor handpicked his opponents? He is on record as saying he doesn't do that. He fought who the UFC gave him. As most fighters do.

Do you think Gregor handpicked his opponents? He is on record as saying he doesn't do that. He fought who the UFC gave him. As most fighters do.
If he is on record saying he doesn't, then I have no reason to doubt him. I guess the question still stands, could he have influenced the process to expedite it? If so, I'd hope Madsen does and doesn't go the route of Gregor. At 35 that would be a real waste of potential.

Back