Kevin Kelley vs Derrick Gainer I, 6/15/96

Hagler

Man of wealth and taste
@Gold
Reaction score
All right, gentlemen. I had never watched this fight and it may very well be the best bout for a goddamn WBU belt ever, taking place in Jacksonville, FL on June 6th, 1996

In the blue corner, Derrick "Smoke" Gainer from Pensacola. With a record of 17 wins and 3 losses by decision, a tall young featherweight with decent pop and nice straight combos with a tendency to get a little carried away and eat big lefts inside. Gainer is Roy Jones's buddy, which did help him to get an undercard bout for an alphabet title.

In the red corner, seasoned veteran Kevin "Flushing Flash" Kelley, a former WBC FW tiltist hailing from NYC. He's also a southpaw who can punch. He's a shorter guy with good handspeed and only 1 loss in 46 pro fights, he's fought abroad a lot, and he's gone 2-1-2 in his last 5 bouts, which questions his still being in his prime.

This fight is tits. The matchup is excellent and these 2 gentlemen trade KDs and suspect slips, the momentum shifts multiple times, you get some ugly swelling and a physician brought in, both corners get their man pumped as fuck when it matters, the kayo is dramatic as hell and Roy fucking Jones sits ringside for the first two rounds even if he'll fight next - he also played basketball in a minor league in the afternoon -, as he's so much above competition that he knows he'll beat up Eric Lucas anyway.

Enjoy. My treat.

Last edited:
This was on my 20th birthday.

Kelley was a bit of an underrated TV fighter.

This was on my 20th birthday.

Kelley was a bit of an underrated TV fighter.

These were the days.

He was in more than one entertaining scrap.

Excellent fight. Better than the rematch.

Haha this reminds me a few years ago, Goldenboy had Kevin doing color commentary for a card and whoever was winning the fight, Kevin would talk shit about how they were doing it wrong and he'd be winning it better.

Haha this reminds me a few years ago, Goldenboy had Kevin doing color commentary for a card and whoever was winning the fight, Kevin would talk shit about how they were doing it wrong and he'd be winning it better.

:) Well, he did earn himself some bragging rights.

Gainer also went on to upset Freddie Norwood when a lot of people thought Norwood might be something special in maybe the most poorly refereed fight I've ever seen.

Gainer also went on to upset Freddie Norwood when a lot of people thought Norwood might be something special in maybe the most poorly refereed fight I've ever seen.

Never seen this one either. It looks like Norwood came up owerweight. Good scrap ?

Never seen this one either. It looks like Norwood came up owerweight. Good scrap ?

Norwood-Gainer is like the worst, ugliest fight ever. It also contains multiple knockdowns, horrific fouling, bolo low-blows, so much holding it might as well be MMA, an actual judo throw, a ref who probably never reffed a fight before & certainly has not since (seriously, I don't want to spoil it by mentioning specifics, just watch it)... &, weirdly, some of Gainer's best work ever (he looked like miniature southpaw Tommy Hearns a couple of times).

It defies description. Please watch it.

I fuckin' love Kevin Kelley. Like, serious man-crush territory. Was the Next Big Thing when I was a kid, big-time talked-up as an opponent for Hoko (Paul Hodkinson), a fight that never happened.

His come-from-behind win over Gainer that you posted would be the tip-top moment of awesome in any fighter's career, like the thing you people say "D'you remember when X did..." about years later on web forums. But it is like, merely a blip in the cavalcade of awesomeness that was Kevin Kelley's entire career (until he got old & started getting used for target practice by Barrera & Morales).

Apologies for thread-highjack.

I fuckin' love Kevin Kelley. Like, serious man-crush territory. Was the Next Big Thing when I was a kid, big-time talked-up as an opponent for Hoko (Paul Hodkinson), a fight that never happened.

His come-from-behind win over Gainer that you posted would be the tip-top moment of awesome in any fighter's career, like the thing you people say "D'you remember when X did..." about years later on web forums. But it is like, merely a blip in the cavalcade of awesomeness that was Kevin Kelley's entire career (until he got old & started getting used for target practice by Barrera & Morales).

Apologies for thread-highjack.

There have been some waaay worse cases of hijacking in here. And yes, Kelley was awesome in his days.

Fairly entertaining, but it was extremely dirty from both men and the ref didn't do a single thing to control it. Norwood was eventually knocked out with a low blow. It was like it was the referee's first time in there.

Kevin Kelley was an absolute warrior. He was involved in so many exciting wars including his 12 round epic with Troy Dorsey, his classics with Gonzalez, Hamed, "Goyo" Vargas & of course, his first fight with Gainer. Great stuff.
I had a chance to work with Kelley back in the day while I was helping to matchmake fights for CKP & he was doing television color work for their fights. Very cool guy.
20200130_023623.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin Kelley was an absolute warrior. He was involved in so many exciting wars including his 12 round epic with Troy Dorsey, his classics with Gonzalez, Hamed, "Goyo" Vargas & of course, his first fight with Gainer. Great stuff.
I had a chance to work with Kelley back in the day while I was helping to matchmake fights for CKE & he was doing television color work for their fights. Very cool guy.
View attachment 719383
CK?

heavyweight explosion!

CK?

heavyweight explosion!
Yep, Good old Cedrick Kushner. Those were some good times back then.
We put on some good fights & some sloppy fights but we tried to stay away from making dull fights. And, for the most part, I think we succeeded. We never did produce a heavyweight champion out of the Heavyweight Explosion shows but we produced a couple of contenders like Mo Harris & Ray Austin.

You have to watch it.

Check out this timestamped vid-

Back