Kettlebells and battle ropes

November

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Will kettlebells and battle ropes build strength for grappling

It depends on what you mean by 'strength'. KBs etc. are not the best tool for building maximal strength. Barbells are. That's hard to argue. If you're looking for power output endurance and combining aerobic and anaerobic conditioning, KBs are a pretty good tool. I use them to prepare for BJJ tournaments as well as keep weight off (they burn fat great because you just do so much damn work, in the physics sense, in a typical KB workout).

I think for people who haven't done any strength training you'll probably get the most benefit from a basic barbell program with the big lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, and press, cleans if you like), but when you start plateauing doing that few days a week or find that it's taking away from your grappling KBs are excellent for staying strong and building conditioning. In general though those things are conditioning tools, not really 'strength' tools per se.

Anything that builds strength will build strength for grappling.

I'd argue that KBs are better for functional strength you use in grappling. I always noticed that meatheads become real weak when their limbs move off typical lift patterns. I.e. They try pressing you when mounted but when you move their arm off line they become much weaker and also gas very quick.

If you buy ropes, please don't waste like 300$ or something absurd on them. Just look up tow ropes online and buy a thick braided one in two equal segments for like 20$.

I'd argue that KBs are better for functional strength you use in grappling. I always noticed that meatheads become real weak when their limbs move off typical lift patterns. I.e. They try pressing you when mounted but when you move their arm off line they become much weaker and also gas very quick.

There is much wrong with this post.

1. The assumption barbell exercises make someone a "meathead".
2. You are obviously talking about strong people who are inexperienced grapplers, all people become significantly weaker when their limbs are moved out of anatomical efficient positions. Inexperienced grapplers (strong or weak, barbell trained or kb trained) are not good at keeping their limbs in good positions.
3. Someone who carries a lot of muscle will require more energy to fuel those muscles but what is unclear is whether you falsely believe muscular people cannot be properly conditioned for grappling. Also, the training implement used (kb or barbell) is not at all the determining factor in how much muscle mass one carries (it's more a function of diet and genetics).
4. What is functional strength? Strength for grappling is simply strength applied with proper technique.

KB swings and rope work are phenomenal for conditioning, and in grappling conditioning is more important than strength.

Short answer, no. Kettlebells are light compared to barbells and battle ropes offer almost no resistance. They'll get you in shape but raw strength must come from barbell movements. Rock climbing is actually amazing for grappling strength. Strongest dude I've ever grappled was a 170lbs rock climber. I've seen him choke out roided up power lifters before.

Anything that builds strength will build strength for grappling.

^^^^^I second that statement^^^^^

Personally, if I were training grappling short of doing as much grappling as I can I would do A LOT of sandbag work. Not talking about the crap you can buy online or in stores, I am talking about getting the military issued bag, fill it with garbage bags filled with sand or some sort of filler. Depending on the exercises and how you grab the bag it will work the entire body and your grip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back