Kettlebell-power!

You realize you may get killed for revealing soviet secrets right?

I'm sold! For 200 bucks you can get one of those kb's!

Oh God, that image is now scarred into my retinas.

What is it about kettlebells that makes otherwise sane people belive they are the all-singing all-dancing solution to everything from weight training ,through weight loss to solving world peace? I just don't get it.

There was some retarded trainer on a weight loss tv show over here called the biggest loser who had a "secret weapon" she kept threatening the fastties with. I was dreading it cos I just knew it was gonna be bloody kettlebells and what do you know it was. "this is a fat burning furnace" and " the ultimate tranining tool" were just some of the choicer drivel she spouted.

I do think Kettlebells are effective. I have used them in some of my training so I will not knock them and IMO, those who do have either never used them, or are just plain ignorant. I dont' think they are the end all be all but they are effective. Anyway, that picture was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Time to print it out and put it on telephone polls with the Have you Seen Me on it.

SmashiusClay said:
What is it about kettlebells that makes otherwise sane people belive they are the all-singing all-dancing solution to everything from weight training ,through weight loss to solving world peace? I just don't get it.

They're marketed as an old-school, no-nonsense, rugged type of fitness tool which seems to attract your average North American cityslicker. These people work their white collar jobs, sitting at a desk all day looking at computers so they're easily enticed into anything "old-school" hoping it will counteract their otherwise normal, mundane lives.

Sonny, are you saying you think they have no place in training? Have you used them before? Some of the exercises allowed by using kettlebells are just not possible using normal weights. Again, I don't think that you should only train with them or that they are "better" than barbells or dumbells but I do think that they have a place in training. Please clearify your position Judge JB.

rickdog said:
I do think Kettlebells are effective. I have used them in some of my training so I will not knock them and IMO, those who do have either never used them, or are just plain ignorant. I dont' think they are the end all be all but they are effective. Anyway, that picture was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Time to print it out and put it on telephone polls with the Have you Seen Me on it.
Just in case you were thinking i was going on a rant against kettlebells i have nothing against them, i would'nt pay the ridiculous amounts they expect to charge for a lump of steel with a handle though. In fact I rather like doing swings. My problem is with the hardcore kettlebell devotees who seem to believe them to be capable of just about curing cancer.

I'm with Sonny here.
I don't think they should have a place in anybody's training regimen not because I think you can't do anything with them, but because I think the time and energy spent on working with those could be spent more wisely (read: more efficiently and for less of my precious money) training with barbells and dumbells.

I've never seen somebody, be it in real life or even on the internet, who got really strong using kettlebells.
I'm not even sure I would use them if I was given a whole set.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/kettlebells.htm

Strong dude who finds them usefull...

Personally I think they are solid tools, but to expensive and their are other alternatives that you should start with first. Make a sandbag, hit tires with your sledge, push cars, etc... Then somewhere down the road perhaps get some balls to..;)

rickdog said:
Sonny, are you saying you think they have no place in training? Have you used them before? Some of the exercises allowed by using kettlebells are just not possible using normal weights. Again, I don't think that you should only train with them or that they are "better" than barbells or dumbells but I do think that they have a place in training. Please clearify your position Judge JB.

I have two kettlebells. Yes I think they are effective tools for strength and conditioning. However, the "pushers" are sometimes so pro-kettlebells it's sickening, suggesting that a kettlebell is far superior to a regular dumbell is beyond stupid, when really they're just different versions of each other.

IMO, there is absolutely NO reason for someone to fork out 100-200 dollars for a kettlebell, when they can spend that money on a good set of dumbells and a barbell. After you have the basics, then by all means purchase a kettlebell. If you have access to kettlebells, then "yes" use them as they are effective.

Got it!! I agree with that, they are overpriced and some people do push them way to hard. Noskill, everyone else finds them effective and just think they are overly hyped and that they are too expensive(which in fact I agree with). Don't put words in peoples mouths man.

My point was that if I had extra energy or recovery ability after my workout, I'd still wouldn't do them because I think that energy and recovery would be best employed adding volume or exercises with actual barbells or dumbells. It's not that I think they'll give no results, but I think any result they'll give will actually be less significant than barbell/dumbell.

I did not see myself as putting words in Sonny's mouth, I was just positioning myself according to the most "against kettlebells" stance that was adopted thus far in the thread. He clarified his position after my post. It's hard to put words in people's mouth when everything that's been said is written down in the thread, when in doubt scroll back up and read again.

Take my word for what it's worth, I never used them, but here is my point: I never will.

NosKill, have you ever used them. There are many exercises that you can do with KB's thatcan not be done with dbells or barbells. these exercises are done with MMA fighting in mind. They are very effective for this type of program and have no type of replacement IMO. Check out Fedor or alot of the top guys who know how to utilize them properly and for there whole benefit

rickdog said:
NosKill, have you ever used them. There are many exercises that you can do with KB's thatcan not be done with dbells or barbells. these exercises are done with MMA fighting in mind.

Just our of curiosity, what are these exercises that you speak of. The only reference I have is the RKC book by Pavel and pretty much all of the exercises in that book can be done with a dumbell.

rickdog said:
They are very effective for this type of program and have no type of replacement IMO. Check out Fedor or alot of the top guys who know how to utilize them properly and for there whole benefit

I know a lot of GREAT fighters use kettlebells, but I also know that there are some great fighters who've never touched one in their life. I do agree that the displacement of the load of a kb offers some training variety. On a personal note, I think of all the money I've spent on things like KB's and CB's and although they ARE good tools I NEVER recommend that anyone go out and buy them, they are just TOO expensive.

Sonny said:
Just our of curiosity, what are these exercises that you speak of. The only reference I have is the RKC book by Pavel and pretty much all of the exercises in that book can be done with a dumbell.

Well there are some jugling excersises and stuff where I cant think of anything that can replace them. They had a special on jugling kettlebels in the last number of the swedish mag "Fighter".

krellik said:
Well there are some jugling excersises and stuff where I cant think of anything that can replace them. They had a special on jugling kettlebels in the last number of the swedish mag "Fighter".

Oh yeah I've seen that. I think there's a KB juggling instructional video by Jeff Martone.

According to that article these drills could be good for promoting quickness and the ability to absorb punches and other kind of impacts.. Not that I think kettlebells are nescesary by any means, there are so incredibly many other interesting options of training that you should try before throwing up the money for the kettlebells.. But to say that they are useless I think is a bit ignorant...

Sonny said:
I never said they were useless though.

No man sorry if im being confusing, I was having a conversation with you, and at the same time refering to noskills opinion on them as rubish.. To make things even harder "I swedishg boy, me nicht habla engrish good.."..;)

Back