Keosawa's Powerlifting Log

Great job Kyle. I liked the write up. Can't believe you didn't watch Malanichev's squat though! Guess it doesn't matter much, he's just going to keep beating his own record over and over.

Awesome job, Keo! Good luck with your future goals as well! Look forward to seeing how your technique adjustments work out!

Great job Kyle. I liked the write up. Can't believe you didn't watch Malanichev's squat though! Guess it doesn't matter much, he's just going to keep beating his own record over and over.

There's always going to be video; I just felt like the best thing for me was to focus on my lifting and try not to get caught up in everything else. I would have been giddy just to sit down and watch the meet as a spectator.

Congrats on the big meet, man. I completely understand what you're saying about your last deadlift. The first time I totaled 300, I still had one clean & jerk left and I missed the clean, which never happens, because I had mailed it in after my goals for the day were met.

Anyway, keep up the good work. We'll have to link up again one of these times I'm down in IC.

Yep. I definitely "tried hard" on 584, but I more or less just gripped it and ripped it. I could tell that the bar was too far out in front of my shins when I set up, but I just said fuck it. I need to get back to being more attentive to pulling back and putting myself in a better position to lock out weights; once I do that, my deadlift will return to form. Right now, it's a bit of a mess, and that's self-inflicted, but if I can pull 562 in 2.5 seconds, 584, based on all my previous performances, should have happened.

Thanks to EVERYONE who stopped by and said congrats--the response has been overwhelming, and so it's taken me some time to keep up with all of it. One of my resolutions after this meet is to keep up this log more regularly, and to spend a bit more time on the main forum and on the pub. We'll see how that goes.

There's always going to be video; I just felt like the best thing for me was to focus on my lifting and try not to get caught up in everything else. I would have been giddy just to sit down and watch the meet as a spectator.

Brilliant attitude, I know as a fan of the sport it would be difficult to do this.

Only just seen the meet video, the bar speed on your bench was ridiculous, any reason why? I'm assuming the answer is smolov, lol.

Congratulations on a fantastic meet Kyle. I'm really happy for you. I liked the Godpseed in the video of your meet! Very nice touch.

Brilliant attitude, I know as a fan of the sport it would be difficult to do this.

Only just seen the meet video, the bar speed on your bench was ridiculous, any reason why? I'm assuming the answer is smolov, lol.

The meet had so many good lifters and I saw almost none of it. I stayed in my hotel on Saturday after weighing in without internet access and just recomped. I wanted to watch the lifting, but I know I have to put myself in the best possible position to do well.

And the bench surprised me as well. I guess the answer was just smolov, a really successful recomp, a good bench (I always bench better outside of our home gym), and the perfect storm as far as peaking goes. I was killing it on bench by week three of smolov, and I felt very healthy by the time the meet came around. I got up after 303 and just shook my head and said "wow" or something to that effect because I never expected for it to feel that easy. I was only going to go 314, but I got talked out of it by another lifter, and it was a good call.

It really was a spectacular performance. I'm glad to see that everything finally came together for the big total you've been gunning for.

In your write-up you mentioned not yet having gone 9 for 9. I know that a perfect meet would be leaving 0 lbs on the floor and completing all 9 lifts. Also, by definition, missing a 3rd attempt is leaving lbs on the floor. What are your thoughts on risk-taking on the 3rd attempt for someone without specific record-breaking or qualifying goals at a meet? I really liked your attempt-selection article and was curious about the meet as a whole, and the mythical 9 for 9.

Thanks to EVERYONE who stopped by and said congrats--the response has been overwhelming, and so it's taken me some time to keep up with all of it. One of my resolutions after this meet is to keep up this log more regularly, and to spend a bit more time on the main forum and on the pub. We'll see how that goes.

The main seems worse than 'usual' right now... Have you started that Animal log?

Well, a lifter could leave nothing on the platform and go only three for nine--a "perfect" day, in my opinion, is one in which you get as much as possible on all three lifts. It's easier to reach that point strategically with nine attempts than it is to guess correctly with three; with that said, the idea of "nine-for-nine" being a good goal is pretty overblown. You can go nine-for-nine and have a disappointing meet if you choose unnecessarily conservative attempts.

And as far as risk-taking on third attempts go, it depends entirely upon the person and the situation. I know that with Janis, I would be more inclined to call a conservative third attempt, because made attempts build confidence; some lifters have a harder time rationalizing and dealing with a missed attempt. I could call a 1000-lb. squat for her and the miss would still hang over her head for the rest of the meet. For others, that's not the case. For me, I perform better in training when I take an aggressive set or attempt; having the danger of missing present elevates my performance. That's the reason why I called for 524 instead of 513 and 319 instead of 314 at this meet: I was feeling good and knew I could take more moderate attempts to build a total, but something a little heavier, like an all-time PR, will put the fear of God in me and help me lift better. In that way, 524 is an "easier" attempt for me than 513, because 513 won't offer the same level of excitement and therefore won't produce the same adrenal response. So, I hope that answers the question--it really is contingent upon the situation.

And I am on the Animal forum, yes. I'm really liking it; lots of good lifters use it, and it's a pretty close and supportive community.

Great bench there man. Made that 319 look easy. Over double your body weight is amazing stuff.

Thanks for the insight. It's a very interesting topic for me because I've missed a lot of attempts at my 2 full meets and 1 charity push/pull, 6/9, 5/9 and 3/6 respectively. I'm trying to work on my attempt selection to make the meets more successful.

Any sanctioned meet works. And you'd have a great time at the event--it was worth the trip.

And then we'd compete together! It's definitely a new goal of mine, but it means I"ll have to stop being a fatty. New goal is 623 total @123. One of my friend's just totaled elite at 105 and wants to do it too.

Great bench there man. Made that 319 look easy. Over double your body weight is amazing stuff.

Yeah. That was weird. 319 at 148 is pretty good, isn't it? I'm slowly becoming a respectable bencher.

Thanks for the insight. It's a very interesting topic for me because I've missed a lot of attempts at my 2 full meets and 1 charity push/pull, 6/9, 5/9 and 3/6 respectively. I'm trying to work on my attempt selection to make the meets more successful.

I went 7/9 in July and considered the meet a failure; I went 4/9 in November and considered it a success. But the openers were about a hundred pounds--combined--apart.

As long as you can find a way to get you to your goals--and as long as your goals are ones that you can actually achieve come meet day--then you're successful. I like making my second attempts a baseline goal, so that if I only go six-for-nine, I still reach my goal for the meet.

And then we'd compete together! It's definitely a new goal of mine, but it means I"ll have to stop being a fatty. New goal is 623 total @123. One of my friend's just totaled elite at 105 and wants to do it too.

For real! You'd have a great time at that meet. And my plan is to train for the year and go back to it next Feb.

Back