Keeping Mount

Theclasher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What kind of strategies do you employ to keep a guy mounted? This is probably the weakest part of my game. I usually have to switch back to side mount to avoid being swept over. Also, I know the principle is to get higher up on him, but I have trouble doing this or anything else when their arms are tightly tucked. What can you do, if that happens, to open him back up and start working on getting higher and/or attacks?

I usually just force S-mount, it just elephant trunks the shit out of people.

Other than that, work on "ramming" the arm out of the way and be ready for them to give you their back.

What kind of strategies do you employ to keep a guy mounted? This is probably the weakest part of my game. I usually have to switch back to side mount to avoid being swept over. Also, I know the principle is to get higher up on him, but I have trouble doing this or anything else when their arms are tightly tucked. What can you do, if that happens, to open him back up and start working on getting higher and/or attacks?

hook your feet by his butt while your in the mount, like holding guard, makes it a lot harder for them to buck you, also push your hips into his chest and make him feel pain

When their arms are low. You can attack the neck. I like to use the double attack... S guard rules. Other than that. Secure a good base before you do anything else?

Go for a paper cutter or head and arm or Gi chokes... They give arm. Take arm.

Rinse, wash, repeat

-AMMA

If his elbows are high, walk my knees up into his armpits and sometimes go to s mount. If his legs are up and not flat on the mat, I'll grapevine my legs in his and stretch him out (also if he tries to bump and roll me). If he tries to elbow escape, I'll switch to "technical mount" (like s mount, don't know a better way to describe it). If he does the flexible guy thing where he pushes up in my armpits and tries to throw his legs over his head and pry me off that way I'll preemptively put my feet in his hips to keep his hips flat.

Relax, keep your chest low and base wide with your arms. Develop a good squeeze with your knees and hips. Control his head and posture from on top as much as possible (this will limit his escapes). Put as much pressure as you can on him and make him as uncomfortable as possible.

Those are just some ideas to play with . I hope that helps some!

I find a full grapevine difficult because of short legs and really bad hip flexibilty so I will often grapevine one leg and really torque it out to the side. It takes away any ability to bridge. Mainly though, I get my knees as high as I can, squeeze my knees together on his body and put my feet tight to his butt. If he tries to roll, I let him roll inside my legs, if he tries a hip escape, I squeeze my knees tight to prevent him getting much space and I use my feet to block his thighs as he tries to bring them through. A lot of it is just developing a feel for his movement and moving to block it.

i like heavy hips and both hands posted on the mats as a general rule, but depending on how I attack I may widen my base, i may bring my hips to 1 side or I might keep my weight on the mats only and wait to take the back during the transition. The important part is to keep active, constantly threatening subs while you watch your base.

Grapevining a leg and giving him the shoulder of justice is a great way to keep good control, but I find it hard to keep on really big guys (250+, me being 135), and it is a hard position to attack from

I float between different flavors of mount depending on who I'm rolling with and what they're doing. My preference is between regular high mount and s-mount. I don't usually grapevine unless my opponent has a significant strength advantage and even then, I'll usually just grapevine whatever leg he's driving with and release it as soon as he exerts for his bridge.

The key to holding mount is to be fluid. If you can, try to grab a partner to work solely on mount drills at about 50% - 75% so that you can learn to feel their movement and react accordingly. Positional sparring is a great way to improve your top control.

Stabilizing the mount is very tough to do esp. when you are just starting out. Some of the basic things that I do.

Opponent Pushes on Chest- swim the arms inside on at a time to the mat or armlock.

Pushes on the stomach- deflect the hands away with your forearms and move up your opponents body.

Opponent rolls- opponent the leg to side he is rolling. Keep constant pressure on him.

Opponent sits up, wraps the waist- wrap him and put him back down in the opposite direction.

Pushes on knee- grap wrist pull up and move up the body.

Other more advanced considerations I will do is going to S-mount, grapvining one more of the legs, or transitioning to knee on stomach to mount my opponent at a better angle.

You can always use the grapevine...hook both his lower legs with your feet. If you think he's going to buck, you can always use the seat belt (under and over hook). S mount's good. Watch Sean Sherk or BJ. They both have crazy mount control.

Back