Keanu Reeves training with Machado bros (no pic)

It does seem like he does a lot of the action himself.

I feel like if you look at the way he moves in John Wick vs the way he moved in the Matrix (different style fight scenes, but still) it seems like he's made progress as a martial artist.

Honestly, I think that's more to do with the different stories being told than his ability as a martial artist.

His style was more direct and brutal, and subsequently looked more realistic and less wooden and showy, in John Wick due to him playing an assassin. No time for the flourishes and fancy shit when there's people to kill. On the other hand, Matrix was a fantasy story told within a sci fi setting.

BJJ in movies goes back to Lethal Weapon, when Mel taps out Gary Busey with a Triangle Choke. Thing is, unless you know what to look for, Grappling isn't that exciting to watch. So film makers tend to go for more cinematic martial arts. It's only fairly recently that we've started to see more BJJ in films, because the usual type of fight scenes have become stale.

Do you remember "Equilibrium"? I always really liked the Gun Katas in that movie, thought it was a neat concept.

Do you remember "Equilibrium"? I always really liked the Gun Katas in that movie, thought it was a neat concept.

Equilibrium was one of those movies that was seriously awesome as long as you were willing to just let go and not ask questions. Then the guy made that horrible Mila Jovavic movie that was essentially the exact same storyline as Equilibrium, but with shitty vampires instead of feelings police.

On a somewhat related note due to the dog factor, I got attacked by a huge pitbull right after leaving this thread last night! It was insane! Huge stray pitbull runs full clip out of nowhere and tries to eat my girlfriends chihuahua. I roundhouse kicked him in the ribs while he was jumping on my girlfriend and he ran away. Nobody got hurt, but shit was scary as hell.

so yeah...that's my story.

Back