Keanu Reeves training with Machado bros (no pic)

I guess you are right. Definitely primarily guns (as his weapon), but it was neat to see BJJ and Judo thrown in during most of the action sequences (and much more than I can remember in any other non-martial arts movie).

He definitely used BJJ/Judo in most scenes. But for those who haven't seen it yet, please don't expect this to be a BJJ/Judo focused action movie. It's about a former hitman who kills with guns.

With that said, as violent as it is, it wasn't "turn your head away gory" by any means (not even close).

Must see movie in my opinion. 90 minute joy ride.

Movies are starting to mix BJJ with Guns; apart from John Wick you see similar moves in Kingsmen: Secret Service, although in a more lighthearted manner.

Movies are starting to mix BJJ with Guns; apart from John Wick you see similar moves in Kingsmen: Secret Service, although in a more lighthearted manner.

Kingsmen was another awesome movie. The bjj and judo was much more subtle in it though.

I feel like John Wick had just the right amount.

But you're right. Starting to see a lot more bjj in movies.

Kingsmen was another awesome movie. The bjj and judo was much more subtle in it though.

I feel like John Wick had just the right amount.

But you're right. Starting to see a lot more bjj in movies.

BJJ in movies goes back to Lethal Weapon, when Mel taps out Gary Busey with a Triangle Choke. Thing is, unless you know what to look for, Grappling isn't that exciting to watch. So film makers tend to go for more cinematic martial arts. It's only fairly recently that we've started to see more BJJ in films, because the usual type of fight scenes have become stale.

cool pic. Do you know where it was taken? It's funny with the Keanu posters in the background.

I agree with the comment that Keanu may be one of the nicest Hollywood actors out there. You never hear him getting in trouble in the tabloids.

I am making up numbers since I don't feel like looking it up now, but he made ~$110MM from the Matrix movies, and gave back ~$80MM to the people who worked on the movie (stunt people, staff, etc.). When asked why, he said something to the effect of "A while back, I had already made more money than I need for several lives. I don't need that money, and wanted to share it with others." I heard he also gives a lot to various charities anonymously, and he doesn't care to take credit for large donations.

He also seems cool enough to only work on movies he wants to do (regardless of whether or not the movies are stupid, not mainstream enough, etc.). For instance, Man of Tai Chi was awesome. How many Hollywood stars would be willing to make a movie like that?

I met him back in 2009. I always try to be respectful of celebrities and leave them be. I had to take a pic with Keanu though (he's been a long time favorite of mine), and he was happy to take a pic with me and chat with a few other fans.

Just seems to be a really cool, good guy.

He legit saved someone's life on the side of the road. I forget the details though.

BJJ in movies goes back to Lethal Weapon, when Mel taps out Gary Busey with a Triangle Choke. Thing is, unless you know what to look for, Grappling isn't that exciting to watch. So film makers tend to go for more cinematic martial arts. It's only fairly recently that we've started to see more BJJ in films, because the usual type of fight scenes have become stale.

Yea. Plus, with the UFC gaining more and more popularity, I think some people are starting to realize grapplings effectiveness

In the behind the scenes for John Wick, everything was designed by real modern martial artists (not like wu ping). They tried to mix real BJJ and grappling with some stylization to appeal to a wider audience.

actually Rorion can take the credit for the triangle in Lethal weapon because he was involved with the movie.

I read somewhere that it was an ex stuntmen (good mate of Keanu) that produce John WICK and therefore he went crazy with fight scene.

Pretty sure, Keanu did him a favour to appear in the movie because I doubt he could afford his normal rate.

Boscoo - is this an alternate troll account? I can't think of one movie star/celebrity that has been gifted belts from the Machados. Ashton Kutscher has been training forever, and just got his purple

You don't know much.

Kutcher has been training for 2 years.

And his 'celebrity clients' don't do the same BJJ the rest of us do. He invented 'flow' Ju Jitsu just for them, where they never have to actually roll against an opponent because real BJJ is apparently far too dangerous for them!

"I created a new jiu jitsu system for people who can

They are training for John Wick 2. Rigan mentioned it a few weeks ago. He's gonna be in it also.

You don't know much.

And his 'celebrity clients' don't do the same BJJ the rest of us do. He invented 'flow' Ju Jitsu just for them, where they never have to actually roll against an opponent because real BJJ is apparently far too dangerous for them!

You don't know much.

A lot of bitching and crying about celebrities training with high level guys. What's the big deal? Who is getting gifted belts? The only recent promotion that comes to mind is Anthony Bourdain and he's been training for a while now. Anyone I'm missing? Most recently I saw some random ass white belt shitting on Keanu over IG which was funny to me because the guy is a 3.5 year white belt...really bro? Then Rikki Rockett posts and said wb is all over his jock. LOL

Lol twas funny

cool pic. Do you know where it was taken? It's funny with the Keanu posters in the background.

I agree with the comment that Keanu may be one of the nicest Hollywood actors out there. You never hear him getting in trouble in the tabloids.

I am making up numbers since I don't feel like looking it up now, but he made ~$110MM from the Matrix movies, and gave back ~$80MM to the people who worked on the movie (stunt people, staff, etc.). When asked why, he said something to the effect of "A while back, I had already made more money than I need for several lives. I don't need that money, and wanted to share it with others." I heard he also gives a lot to various charities anonymously, and he doesn't care to take credit for large donations.

He also seems cool enough to only work on movies he wants to do (regardless of whether or not the movies are stupid, not mainstream enough, etc.). For instance, Man of Tai Chi was awesome. How many Hollywood stars would be willing to make a movie like that?

I met him back in 2009. I always try to be respectful of celebrities and leave them be. I had to take a pic with Keanu though (he's been a long time favorite of mine), and he was happy to take a pic with me and chat with a few other fans.

Just seems to be a really cool, good guy.

Yves posted it and said it was while he was doing some takes for a movie I presume. Not sure where it was but I lulz'd at the Matrix posters.

Think everyone's suspicious of celebrities doing bjj since Dr 90210 haha.

I don't think Keanu is the type of person who would want to be handed a belt. Given his comments on 47 Ronin and Man of Tai Chi, he actually cares about martial arts.

The other thing is that his life story is almost legendary. So much tragedy in his life- loss of his parents when he was a teen, had to take care of his sister when she got leukemia (and battled for 10 years), best friend River Phoenix died, his girlfriend (was pregnant) died.

John Wick is legendary. I'm so glad he has made his best film at this point. People have always shitted on him for not being a great actor, but he was perfect for the role in John Wick. I was pretty much bawlin at one point.

I don't think Keanu is the type of person who would want to be handed a belt. Given his comments on 47 Ronin and Man of Tai Chi, he actually cares about martial arts.

The other thing is that his life story is almost legendary. So much tragedy in his life- loss of his parents when he was a teen, had to take care of his sister when she got leukemia (and battled for 10 years), best friend River Phoenix died, his girlfriend (was pregnant) died.

John Wick is legendary. I'm so glad he has made his best film at this point. People have always shitted on him for not being a great actor, but he was perfect for the role in John Wick. I was pretty much bawlin at one point.

In the hollywood world, how can you not like him, once you know his story?

I think you are right as well. He likes learning martial arts, and may never care to have anything beyond a white belt.

John Wick is my favorite movie in a long time, largely because Keanu was perfect in it. Best action movie ever.

Honestly I'd be surprised if he plans to continue regular training in BJJ. I could be wrong but kinda think this is primarily for his John Wick 2 movie.

All this talk about John Wick has me rewatching it.

In his first fight scene, I saw an ippon seoi nage that would make Koga weep, a beautiful kata guruma, yet another Koga-weeping seoi nage, and an o soto otoshi.

He's a legit martial artist.

...kata guruma, seoi makikomi, flying armbar, bow and arrow....

Good lord! I literally could not help myself from re-watching John Wick after reading this thread. So good!

All this talk about John Wick has me rewatching it.

In his first fight scene, I saw an ippon seoi nage that would make Koga weep, a beautiful kata guruma, yet another Koga-weeping seoi nage, and an o soto otoshi.

He's a legit martial artist.

It does seem like he does a lot of the action himself.

I feel like if you look at the way he moves in John Wick vs the way he moved in the Matrix (different style fight scenes, but still) it seems like he's made progress as a martial artist.

Back