Karo's jab

JohnnyBuddha

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone notice in the Karo-Thiago fight on UFN that Karo had a pretty crisp jab? It took Alves a while to find any rhythm or comfort in there and it seemed that Karo's jab was throwing him off. Seemed to me to be a rare occasion where a fighter has used the jab this effectively in MMA.

Weird, I just re-watched the fight and it isn't as impressive as I remember it being. LOL. Carry on, nothing to see here.

edit.

Last edited:
Karo's been MOSTLY focusing on throwing hands, and I feel has decent Boxing skills. Now this might sound generalizing, but Armenians do tend to take well to Boxing, and many of them aren't unfamiliar with it as their participation in the European Nationals has a long and developed History.

In a similar way guys like Manny Tapia and the other dude in the WEC with the mullet (Miguel Gomez) I think, neither that I know of have a definitive Boxing backgrounds, but they're of a culture where throwing hands is the preferred means of Fighting.

Comes natural.

Striking in MMA would so much better only if guys used their jab. All them wild looping hooks and haymaker combos would actually connect if they set them up with the jab.

Or, other guys could stop those wild looping hooks and haymaker combos, if they defended with the jab.

OT: but Marcus Aurelio has a pretty good jab. You can really see that he trains a lot of boxing nowdays.

Or, other guys could stop those wild looping hooks and haymaker combos, if they defended with the jab.

With those small gloves and the lack of defending those looping punches its just there best bet to finish a fight quicker.

im sure a technical boxer with good jabs and hands would still get ko'ed from a couple of those looping punches, the "gear" just tailors to that type of fight more i find.

With those small gloves and the lack of defending those looping punches its just there best bet to finish a fight quicker.

im sure a technical boxer with good jabs and hands would still get ko'ed from a couple of those looping punches, the "gear" just tailors to that type of fight more i find.

No.

So..setting up punches and making sure they hit is less effective than throwing wildly and hoping they hit because of the smaller gloves? Makes so much sense.

lol He should know the jab was invented way before gloves were even a though in anyone's mind.

So..setting up punches and making sure they hit is less effective than throwing wildly and hoping they hit because of the smaller gloves? Makes so much sense.

i just dont see how effictive a jab is in mma. Yes people use it, and yes it is still a good tool, but as much as boxing, kick boxing or thai boxing, i dont think its as great.

guys just look to KO in mma, you dont really see too many strikers trying to strike to win a round or strike to set up combos, its either throw shoot, or throw to ko. mma doesnt have that middle ground the other boxing sports do.

i hope that doesnt sound like im trying to make any sport better then the other, its just what i see when i watch the two sports.

ps - I resent this comment

But but but...takedowns, clinch, 4 oz baby gloves, Dana White, boxing is dying, Joe Rogan, Arianny, Tuf season 983, Affliction and tap out.

i was stating something ive observed i dont need to be classified as someone you tried to peg me as. :icon_conf

i picture 2 cavemen jabbing at eachother

That's because you're responding like a simpleton. Boxing has been around since Roman times, and the jab has been a standard technique since any art that involves balling a fist and extending it towards an opponent's face has been conceived.

i just dont see how effictive a jab is in mma. Yes people use it, and yes it is still a good tool, but as much as boxing, kick boxing or thai boxing, i dont think its as great.

It's a very simple principal. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Not a wild looping one. A standard stiff 1-2 > haymaker hooks, relative to the two Fighters of course, but such was the invention and use of straight punches.

guys just look to KO in mma, you dont really see too many strikers trying to strike to win a round or strike to set up combos, its either throw shoot, or throw to ko. mma doesnt have that middle ground the other boxing sports do.

That was true of MMA years ago, in the 90's and previous years, but not now. Now there's a points and round system, but that being said, Anderson Silva's straight punches >>>>>>> Leben's winging bombs. Anderson knocked Chris down with a jab, and out with a basic 1-2.

Vitor Belfort also sparked Tank with a 1-2. So did Rizzo if memory serves me.

That was true of MMA years ago, in the 90's and previous years, but not now. Now there's a points and round system, but that being said, Anderson Silva's straight punches >>>>>>> Leben's winging bombs. Anderson knocked Chris down with a jab, and out with a basic 1-2.

i would agree with this, maybe thats why silva is top of the food chain :D

but you dont (like others have said) see many mma fighters with a good jab, but there is a handful that do use it well. maybe they should take after silva though, and learn.

Yes. I mean in any aspect of combat a very effective way to keep a guy from coming at you and wailing away is to pop a straight punch or two into his grill stiffly. It works wonders.

But very few people do grasp that concept and can use it effectively in a medium where their minds are already swamped with many various answers to the old "what do I do now?"

i would agree with this, maybe thats why silva is top of the food chain :D

but you dont (like others have said) see many mma fighters with a good jab, but there is a handful that do use it well. maybe they should take after silva though, and learn.

Now they say what separates a good fighter from a great fighter is the jab. Now along comes the champ Anderson Silva, who just happens to have a crisp accurate jab and knows how to use it well. We've seen his straight punches beat Lebens by miles to the mark.

Of course the jab seems incredibly useless if you dont know how to use it.

But but but...takedowns, clinch, 4 oz baby gloves, Dana White, boxing is dying, Joe Rogan, Arianny, Tuf season 983, Affliction and tap out.

i lol'ed

lyoto machida also throws his hands fairly linear and crisply..... if any thing with 4 oz gloves the jab should figure prominant in any fighters gameplan as it easily becomes a broken nose and is fairly non committal so you wont get taken down as easily.

Back