Karo's jab

leben isn't a great example , he uses his nose to parry

wouldn't say a jab in mma is good or bad thing
can use to setup a low kick etc but they could also just take the jab and push though for a takedown or heavy punch of there own, i'd rather take afew jabs to land one solid hook

if it's hard enough stop them bulling forward then thats more than a jab

Karo's been MOSTLY focusing on throwing hands, and I feel has decent Boxing skills. Now this might sound generalizing, but Armenians do tend to take well to Boxing, and many of them aren't unfamiliar with it as their participation in the European Nationals has a long and developed History.

In a similar way guys like Manny Tapia and the other dude in the WEC with the mullet (Miguel Gomez) I think, neither that I know of have a definitive Boxing backgrounds, but they're of a culture where throwing hands is the preferred means of Fighting.

Comes natural.

yeah tapia is no world/national level boxer, but when i saw him against banuelos i was like this dude can really throw hands well for an mma, he was in the pocket, countering, set up and putting shots together. An most mma guys who train aren't nearly as eff or fluid as him, cough matt hughes, kenny florian (his hands suck ass)

your community/background can give u a set of skills naturally/etc; example in philly, as most people say even the bum on the street knows how to hook off the jab or how people in the midwest, even people who don't compete can wrestle..just from being around it.

jack dempsy wrote about how the jab has changed from when he used to box. He said something like "the power jab is lost these days" if i recall correctly. I do agree with KK, with the modern 10 point must system the jab is a much more usefull weapon.

There is one thing that i think must be said... that mma boxers NEED to have power. You cant be a "boxing artist" who doesn't have legit ko power. Sakara is a much better boxer than leben will ever be but leben's chin allowed him to knock him out.

Karo's jab is pretty solid, but in the arena of MMA, discovering your range with solely the jab (I guess it depends on what your game plan in and what "type" of fighter you are) may take too long. Couture effectively threw the jab against Chuck to find the range but after that, he had his own game plan. Jab = underrated but def. not the end all be all of MMA.

jack dempsy wrote about how the jab has changed from when he used to box. He said something like "the power jab is lost these days" if i recall correctly. I do agree with KK, with the modern 10 point must system the jab is a much more usefull weapon.

There is one thing that i think must be said... that mma boxers NEED to have power. You cant be a "boxing artist" who doesn't have legit ko power. Sakara is a much better boxer than leben will ever be but leben's chin allowed him to knock him out.
yeah, there have definitely been a disturbing amount of mma fights where a far inferior striker has knocked out someone lot better. baroni-suloev is particularily infuriorating.

yeah, there have definitely been a disturbing amount of mma fights where a far inferior striker has knocked out someone lot better. baroni-suloev is particularily infuriorating.

If a "far inferior" striker KOs a "better" stiker, then the guy who got KOed isn't really better is he? What some MMA guys who are new to striking seem to do is make the mistake of assuming better punching technique = better striker. If this was the case Joe Calzaghe wouldn't have a win. Watch pure striking matches, guys with lesser technique can win through better workrate, aggression, speed, power, chin, etc. individual punching techinque is only one aspect of striking. In striking there are such things as strategies and styles.

Karo's jab is pretty solid, but in the arena of MMA, discovering your range with solely the jab (I guess it depends on what your game plan in and what "type" of fighter you are) may take too long. Couture effectively threw the jab against Chuck to find the range but after that, he had his own game plan. Jab = underrated but def. not the end all be all of MMA.

Neither is it in boxing. The jab is underrated although its an extremely useful (IMO essential) tool in striking but nobody says better jab means you'll automatically win the fight. There's more to the jab than finding range by the way. You can make all sorts of arguments how in MMA its not as effective and whatnot but it doesn't change the fact that the jab is extremely useful for setting up shots and defending against attacks. Its clearly evident in MMA fights where a fighter uses a jab effectively. MMA guys have to set up submissions and takedowns, striking is no different.

People don't excuse poor grappling in MMA, but for some reason when it comes to striking they make all these excuses.

we are not talking about "striking" though are we? We are talking about just hands here. For example. Kenny florian has good muay thai, but doesn't have "good hands".. does that make him a bad striker?

we are not talking about "striking" though are we? We are talking about just hands here. For example. Kenny florian has good muay thai, but doesn't have "good hands".. does that make him a bad striker?

what the fuck are you talking about?

hands do not equal striking and bad hands do not equal bad striking.

well to be a good grappler u have to be able to be eff in all ranges on some level; so for u to be a good striker u have to have some competence at all areas

but u can have great hands and not be a truly eff ALL ROUND striker

well to be a good grappler u have to be able to be eff in all ranges on some level; so for u to be a good striker u have to have some competence at all areas

but u can have great hands and not be a truly eff ALL ROUND striker

not really... many thai boxers have bad hands according to western boxing standards.. Are they bad strikers?

it makes him a limited one to be honest

The only thing that makes somebody a bad or good striker is if they lose or win. If they lose a lot, they suck. If they win a lot, it means they're good. Assuming they had the same level of competition.

hands do not equal striking and bad hands do not equal bad striking.

Actually I disagree about the first part. I initially thought it read "hands do not only equal striking."

I think boxers and TKDers are strikers even though practice only a limited aspect of it.

Back