Karo Parisyan UFC judo throws and wrestling takedowns!

As someone who's trained at the same gym, a lot of those throws are hard to hit no-gi, make it even more impressive. His judo was more effective than Ronda's while fighting much better opponents.

Karo's prime ended after the hamstring injury where he couldn't quite throw as well, and taking all the damage starting his pro career at 16 meant he wasn't going to stick around in his 30s.

Do you know what he's up to nowadays? Dude was awesome to watch back in the day. Dude is only 38?!!
I haven’t talked to him in years unfortunately. Back in the early 2000’s I was with him at Gokors, then Legends MMA, and Fight Academy. I moved to Florida after that and he stayed out here we lost touch after a couple years. I know he struggled with opiates and Xanax at the time (and so did I for that matter). I hope he is well, and wish him the best he’s a great fighter but also a really good dude.

As someone who's trained at the same gym, a lot of those throws are hard to hit no-gi, make it even more impressive. His judo was more effective than Ronda's while fighting much better opponents.

Karo's prime ended after the hamstring injury where he couldn't quite throw as well, and taking all the damage starting his pro career at 16 meant he wasn't going to stick around in his 30s.
Where did you train?

Back when Judo could be kind of effective
It still is. It's hard af to throw around elite wrestlers. Karo was fun but had some favorable match making to display the effectiveness of it.

I’m obviously a little biased but being a Judo guy and competing in bjj I feel I have a great advantage. Whether I win or lose I’ve thrown 90% all of my opponents within the first few seconds of the match. It’s not Americanized like wrestling and bjj though so you don’t see the best athletes. They also make a shit load of money in judo if they’re good so have no real motivation to switch over. Teddy Riner for example would be a big problem in mma. The new rules and politics in Judo are also a huge problem with it. Removing leg grabs and a lot of the submission games leave big holes in Judokas nowadays when they do try their hand in mma. I still think Judo would be highly uselful in mma if actually trained. So many times a guys pushing someone up against a Fence with double under hooks leaning all of their weight into their opponent just begging to be tossed. Like literally every other art various forms of training are needed nowadays and since Judo is one of the least known it’s often discredited.

Back