Karl Gotch style training?

If you really want to do a lot of high-rep calisthenics, I suggest you follow the simplefit.org program. Right now some of the pages are down and you need to use the wayback machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120218204117/http://www.simplefit.org/bodyweight-exercises.html

It's a really great program that is really simple and well-designed.

Workout 1 is EDT style, which is great for strength and conditioning.

Workout 2 is meant to be done to generate power -- which means strict form and exploding maximally with the movement. Great for strength.

Workout 3 is a bit of everything depending on where you are in the progressions. Early levels are great for strength, higher repetition levels great for endurance.

When you can do workout 3 in under 5 minutes it's time to go to the next level.

I'm going to do this on days I don't have time to hit the gym. Simple, yet effective.

I'm going to do this on days I don't have time to hit the gym. Simple, yet effective.

The format is just so great I use it everywhere I can. It's so easy to swap in different exercises or to add a dumbell to the movements to make them more strength oriented. Right now I'm using KB high pulls, tactical lunges and one-arm rows instead of pull-ups, push-ups and squats.

Thanks, I've never trained in any discipline. I'm considering joining a gym as a hobby and was trying to see how people manage training and S&C.

The gym I'm looking at has submission wrestling and boxing classes on Monday and Wednesday. So I figure I can do plenty of S&C on the other days of the week.

(and thats assuming I can even summon the courage to walk in the place, its a pretty well thought of gym, and I don't know if they'd appreciate a noob trying to join up...lol)

Thanks again.

If training a martial art is your interest you're going about things the wrong way by over thinking it all.

It's understandable if you've never done it before, its pretty intimidating.

If, however, you go to a gym with an empty cup (you give yourself to it fully) you will be an asset to the team. It's all anyone wants. You will then learn all about the conditioning you need. Most of it early on will be the training itself.

Really don't hesitate, you can always leave. You can say you don't want to spar till you're comfortable, whatever. Just go and then keep turning up.

Thanks for the response.

My main excuse is cost. Its $200/month, which is understandable given the high level of instruction. I'm just not sure I have that to spare every month.

first, the kushtis do a lot of barbell, dumbbell, stone weights, heavy macebell stuff, rope climbing etc. second, they are notorious for having wrecked joints after their "career". they do this crap for a living, 6 to 8 hours a day, six days a week.

i did 2 years of a deck of cards routine with these exercises. i got a great stamina from it and i was weak like a pussy.
you will become strong from strength training and not from doing 1000 pushups in a row.

Hmmm gets me thinking... I do okay in the strength department (although there's is always room for improvement, but I'm not "weak like a pussy") but have fairly shite stamina... I wonder if I rotate some of these types of workouts in during the week if it'd help; of course I'd be keeping up maximal strength work throughout the week also.

Thanks for the response.

My main excuse is cost. Its $200/month, which is understandable given the high level of instruction. I'm just not sure I have that to spare every month.

If it's top quality that seems a fair price. I'd recommend trying to manage 2-3 months then evaluate if you can afford to continue. By then either you'll know it's not for you or you'll sell your kidneys to keep going. It'll probably be the latter! Good luck and have fun, the first few years of getting into a martial art proper have been some of the best of my life. I recommend fully engaging with it, go to as much as you can.

Thanks again for your response, I very much appreciate it.

I did notice that they have a option to buy a 22 class pass that I could purchase for $400.

That may be the route to go.

Hmmm gets me thinking... I do okay in the strength department (although there's is always room for improvement, but I'm not "weak like a pussy") but have fairly shite stamina... I wonder if I rotate some of these types of workouts in during the week if it'd help; of course I'd be keeping up maximal strength work throughout the week also.

What conditioning work have you been doing? What's the goal?

What conditioning work have you been doing? What's the goal?

Mainly been doing strength work, and HIIT for cardio. I used to do a lot of roadwork when I was fighting MT over a decade ago, but it seems to be frowned upon now.

Goal is stamina and endurance, it's my stamina that's failing me.

Mainly been doing strength work, and HIIT for cardio. I used to do a lot of roadwork when I was fighting MT over a decade ago, but it seems to be frowned upon now.

Goal is stamina and endurance, it's my stamina that's failing me.

What do you do for HIIT?

When you say stamina and endurance, I'm thinking by stamina you're referring to conditioning, and by endurance you mean local muscular endurance. Is that correct?

Roadwork, or other kinds of steady state work, is very beneficial. It builds the aerobic base, which is essential for getting the most out of higher intensity training. The people who look down on steady state work are generally people who are drawing conclusions from just a few studies, if they've even read the studies themselves. And those studies themselves don't really support a blanket statement of HIIT being better than steady state, or some such thing, rather they tend to show some benefits over steady state work in a particular circumstance for a limited period of time.

What do you do for HIIT?

When you say stamina and endurance, I'm thinking by stamina you're referring to conditioning, and by endurance you mean local muscular endurance. Is that correct?

Roadwork, or other kinds of steady state work, is very beneficial. It builds the aerobic base, which is essential for getting the most out of higher intensity training. The people who look down on steady state work are generally people who are drawing conclusions from just a few studies, if they've even read the studies themselves. And those studies themselves don't really support a blanket statement of HIIT being better than steady state, or some such thing, rather they tend to show some benefits over steady state work in a particular circumstance for a limited period of time.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I wasn't more specific, I'm pretty much just wanting to build good stamina for grappling which is what led me to believe, along with the post I'd quoted initially, that the Gotch routine might be good to start rotating into my week.

For HIIT I am mainly doing jumprope routines, hillsprints or sometimes this game on the rowing machine at the gym where you chase digital fish on a screen. It says it's an HIIT game... :shrug: Lol.

Roadwork was always a staple for me when I did MT, honestly I am not even sure at the moment if I could manage sustained roadwork for a decent mileage. And I also, as stupid as it sounds, get this constant anxiety around it now in the back of my mind, that people will be looking at me and laughing or something, or think I'm a stupid fat bastard, or see me fail. Irrational, but an impediment nonetheless. Never used to be like that.

For endurance work I'd been getting good results using a Matt Wiggins strength endurance workout wherein I'd do 10 to 20 sets of 5 reps with 20 to 40 seconds between sets, and go as heavy as possible. Took a break from it during Lent as I wasn't sure if I'd be getting enough calories in while fasting.

Honestly deep down I know I gotta get back out and do some 8 milers a few times a week again, I just wonder if the Gotch workout might be something good for me to rotate in as I'm not looking to use it for strength, but rather conditioning so to speak.

For grappling, I'd suggest doing some kind of total body aerobic base work, for at least some of your conditioning sessions. Swimming, rowing, air-dyne, elliptical, etc. That way you have the local, muscular, adaptations to steady state work, as well as the general cardiovascular adaptations. I'm not saying don't run, just that it would be good to things other than running, as well.

Calisthenics, or any number of other exercises, could be incorporated into aerobic base work. What's most important is duration and intensity - for aerobic base work for grappling, you'd be looking at 30+ minutes, with a HR that's probably between 120 and 140 BPM.

you can also look into the audio workouts of bas rutten. especially his all-around workout is a grinder. the sessions are between 28 and 30 minutes, i believe.

you can also look into the audio workouts of bas rutten. especially his all-around workout is a grinder. the sessions are between 28 and 30 minutes, i believe.

I have those. They're great. I get the wife or kids to pad hold for me and do that, or the GSP Rushfit Fighter's workout, from time to time to mix things up a bit.

Back