kagato jime=gogoplata??????????

bayboy4life

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was surfing around judoinfo.com when I seen a pic of a kagato jime. Is this what we BJJers call a gogoplata.

It loks similar but different mechanics, I guess modified for mma or no-gi.

Your pic:

kagato-jime-medium.jpg

Nic Diaz

3499-08GomiDiazDSC_9999_0024.jpg

Nic diaz's leg is wrapped around the arm and then under the chin and pulling down on the head with the other leg over the shoulder.

Maybe just a modified version of the judo kagato jime?

I noticed that when the Judoka where doing it they grabbeb the gi more instead of the head like Diaz is doing it.

It loks similar but different mechanics, I guess modified for mma or no-gi.

Your pic:

kagato-jime-medium.jpg

Nic Diaz

3499-08GomiDiazDSC_9999_0024.jpg

Nic diaz's leg is wrapped around the arm and then under the chin and pulling down on the head with the other leg over the shoulder.

Maybe just a modified version of the judo kagato jime?

Diaz's leg over the shoulder is a variation. That's pretty much a gogoplata, except instead of locking behind his neck, he uses the gi.

Yes Kagato Jime = Shin choke.

Kagato_jime.jpg

Different choke, tho both use the shin against the throat.

the Yes Kagato Jime looks like a gimmick choke. i have never been put in one, so i can't say for sure, but it appears that the hips and shoulders have a lot of mobility.

It looks like in Kagato Jime that you have both hands free on the top. I'd use my hands to crunch that leg down and pass to side? Your head might be tight to there leg if they can actually hold onto your gi while your crunching but I wouldn't think that would be that dangerous? Anyone else want to wade in?

I would say yes. What's to stop a judo instructor from teaching a tighter Kagato Jime? The leg's still over the shoulder and the opponents arm has still been trapped to the mat. Looks like a Gogo with cross collar grips. At the bare bones this move is the same.

The leg's still over the shoulder and the opponents arm has still been trapped to the mat. Looks like a Gogo with cross collar grips. At the bare bones this move is the same.

Are you looking at the same pictures? I don't see any leg over any shoulder and what arm is trapped to the mat? Looks like uke has both hands free?

the judoka has his free foot on the ground where as in bjj the free foot would be on the hip, and that leg would be squeezing the opponent so as to limit his mobility. the hand is on the head rather than the gi

Judo and BJJ "share" many moves. Is that a big suprise?

Yes, I've tapped people with it before.

Kagato Jime is certainly not a gimmick technique. :rolleyes:

Judo and BJJ "share" many moves. Is that a big suprise?

I don't think the judo way of doing it is same as the BJJ way of doing it. Totally different details in each of them. In the gogoplata, I feel the overhook is key to getting enough control. You also should have your arms wrapped around the head, grabbing your own foot. then pulling down as your push up with your leg to initiate the choke. I also always do the move from my hip shrimped out a little. In the kagato jime shown, they just hold the gi and press up with with foot. They are all flat on their butts. I don't feel this is as effective. It could work, but I don't like it as much.

the devil is always in the details. It's like calling grabbing someone by his neck and kneeing is muay thai...

Back