News Justin Gaethje will face the winner of Oliveira vs Poirier at UFC 269, per Dana White

Which fight would you like to see after UFC 269

• Total voters
The negatives cancel out so you're saying you understand people saying saying Justin doesn't deserve the shot
Can you re- word this a little better? Justin was ranked number 2, and put on a huge win with Chandler fight. That alone should put him above Islam. Bud don't worry Islam will get title shot afterwards. It's a win win for both guys.

But that's what earned him the shot. People like to watch CTE inducing damage, so they're willing to pay more for it, hence why UFC rewards it with TS over more skilled contenders who take less damage and finish their opponents early

It's called favorable match ups vs easier opposition. Chandler is a tougher fight and a tougher style match up. Gaethje had the much tougher fighter here.

Keep trying.

It's called favorable match ups vs easier opposition. Chandler is a tougher fight and a tougher style match up. Gaethje had the much tougher fighter here.

Keep trying.

Not according to the video in the OP, that's what this thread is about, maybe u should watch it

I’m okay with this since I’m a big Justin fan, but I’m not sure he deserves it.

Why is Dustin/Charles winner VS Islam/Dariush winner not a poll option.

I want Olives to win. Dustin can move up to fight Mcgregor there. Olives takes out Dustin, Justin and Islam. We got the new GOAT of the LW division. He also beat the guys that talked shit about beating Khabib like Tony and Kevin Lee fighter.

Not according to the video in the OP, that's what this thread is about, maybe u should watch it

I don't care what the video says. I'm directly responding to you claiming to more skilled and dominant fighter gets the shot over the more exciting one. It's easier to look like that with a favorable style match up and an easier opponent.

I don't care what the video says. I'm directly responding to you claiming to more skilled and dominant fighter gets the shot over the more exciting one. It's easier to look like that with a favorable style match up and an easier opponent.

So you don't care what the video says but you click on a thread about the video, read posts about the video, and reply to posts about the video (mine)

<YeahOKJen>

the person gaethje lost to in a title fight is the undefeated goat of the division who isn't even in the ufc anymore and he did the absolute best of anyone that fought him in the last 5 years. Gaethje deserves it the most. It'd be an absolute joke if he didn't get it.
See, respectfully, I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I agree Khabib is the GOAT and that makes perfect sense. I loved this fight. I literally rewatch it probably every two-three weeks before the gym to get me fired up to go train. It is one of my favorite fights of all time.

I simply don't see it, and the reason I say this is because a lot of people hold your viewpoint that Gaethje did really well. Why exactly did Gaethje do better? As far as I can tell upon countless rewatches, he landed about 15 hard leg strikes which is commendable, and landed two solid punches in the first round that didn't even begin to hurt Khabib, who never took a step back as a consequence of anything Gaethje threw or landed. Khabib was the aggressor the entire first round and ended the round with Gaethje saved by the bell.

In the second round, Khabib ate a few more leg kicks, got an easy-ass takedown and within 15 seconds or so, Gaethje was unconscious.

In contrast to previous opponents, Gaethje actually got handled so badly on the ground that he was basically submitted two times in about 60 seconds of total ground control time. So he didn't survive long enough to take the beating that Khabib's previous opponents took. In addition, Gaethje and Poirer offered by far the least resistance to Khabib's takedowns.

In my opinion, this whole narrative that gets pushed, including by Justin, is a matter of two things. Number one, as mentioned, Gaethje didn't survive long enough on the ground to get smashed as we are accustomed to seeing. For example, guys like Poirier, Barboza, or even MJ, they got smashed and took a ton of damage because they survived long enough on the ground. Khabib had a brief back take on Edson in the first round of their fight. If he got tapped in 15 seconds like Justin, he obviously would have taken far less of a beatdown and it wouldn't have served as one of the more one-sided fights in recent memory. It would just give been a:

"Well, I guess that's how it went, Edson landed some kicks, stopped a few TD's, and then got submitted quickly when Khabib implemented his game. That's Khabib's level for you".

The fact that he survived actually feeds the narrative that he did worse. The same is true with Dustin, and with MJ, but should Justin really be given more credit for not being able to survive on the ground at all?

Number two, Khabib's dominance was at such a climax that we come to expect more from him over time, and to see his opponent land kicks was enough to have people greatly overestimate gaethje's performance.

Again, this is my opinion, and I am open to a peaceful discussion.

I think Justin would murder Charles. He is a stylistic nightmare for Olivera, in my opinion. Justin vs Dustin is almost like a mirror match. They have different skill sets but their heart levels are equally as high as they come.

I think Gaethje earned it, out of his last 6 fights he has only one loss. And that is to one of the GOAT's. So it's all good to me. Also not a surprise this materialized, once they matched Dariush with Islam.
All of of his UFC wins re over b tier comp. His biggest win was Tony at 38 years old. He's been finished 3 times in the ufc and got finished by every top opponent he fought. His most recent loss being the easiest of all khabibs defenses. Already got knocked out by Dustin. And hasn't shown anything to indicate he can beat him this time. Chandler was piecing him up. Dustin is even better than before

All of of his UFC wins re over b tier comp. His biggest win was Tony at 38 years old. He's been finished 3 times in the ufc and got finished by every top opponent he fought. His most recent loss being the easiest of all khabibs defenses. Already got knocked out by Dustin. And hasn't shown anything to indicate he can beat him this time. Chandler was piecing him up. Dustin is even better than before
He won the first round against Khabib and hit him harder than anyone ever has, by Khabib's own admission.

He has also improved greatly since the last time he fought Poirier. Patient Gaethje is a beast.

Gaethje is very skilled.
Islam and dariush are more skilled. There's a reason gaethje leads with his face. He has no choice. Nobody "likes getting their head punched in. Khabib probably is the GOAT lw but gaethje had an embarrassing performance. Got by Chandler just barely. Was already dominatd and knew by Dustin. His only good performance against top comp was the Tony fight against an old man Tony. His road to the title shot was old man cowboy, vick, and eye poked Barbosa. After getting finished twice in a row just before. Gaethje is extremely overrated. He's not a but. But he's not what this place says he is either.

He won the first round against Khabib and hit him harder than anyone ever has, by Khabib's own admission.

He has also improved greatly since the last time he fought Poirier. Patient Gaethje is a beast.
Really? Chandler a wrestler had him in noodle legs. Gatgje took a split decision and got cracked. But a shorter "weaker" striker. Just bc he wait a couple extra seconds in between strikes doesn't equate vast improvement. If did then Chandler wouldn't have been la done bombs on his head as a such an inferior striker. Now imagine what happens when he fights poirier again
Or even Charles who fights long straight and with power accuracy and take down threat.

Sorry I disagree. Bottom line is he's only loss is to Khabib in his last 6 fight. And that to me is the most important stat. It's what you have done for me lately. And he earned the shot and that's also considering Islam and Dariush is scheduled to fight. So it only makes sense Gaethje gets the title shot next.

Back