• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just wondering why Izzy so confident that he can defeat the polish power?

I’m on the ropes(I know this fight is going to end with a KO/TKO) on this and I know Izzy is a more skilled striker than his foe but Jan is extremely dangerous also, so why is Izzy so sure he can beat the LHW champ?

because izzy has a larger right titty than Jan.

I follow ONE, Glory and K1 when it was around. Pereira was around the same size as Adesanya before but he does seem more muscular now. I would need to see him next to other UFC fighters to gauge his size vs other MW/LHW fighters.

I know there are other high level fighters that aren't in Glory, but for Adesanya he only competed against high level in Glory. That's also where 4 out of 5 of his losses came from.

Adesaya doesn't have a typical kicboxer/muay thai style and that's why he adjusted to mma better. He doesn't use the typical high guard stationary style. He's an elusive counter striker who would rather try to slip the punch instead of blocking it. So he never had the issue with trying to block punches with small gloves like they do with big gloves and having the punches slip through their guard and connect. Plus Adesanya uses footwork/movement when most kickboxers/muay thai fighters don't. I agree that any fighter coming from a pure striking sport will have to adjust their style for mma.
So you basically agree that Adesanya has good striking in MMA and is very elusive. And your argument is just that Jan is a big guy and Adesanyaa can't deal with the power of Jan. If Izzy can deal with Rumble's power, he can deal with Jan's. Plus Rumble's a lot faster. There's a video of Rumble talking on sparring Izzy by the way. He said Izzy was kicking his ass in the standup (like we can see in the video).

Jan can win, but like I said, he needs to keep putting pressure, stay close, use wrestling/clinching and make the fight dirty. Otherwise, he's going to get outworked and beaten up from the outside.

Jan has had a good run but he's wearing a belt that has some paper in it. Izzy is on another level. Nothing against Jan, but Izzy beats his ass 8/10 times. Jan always has a puncher's chance with his legit Polish Power, but I'm thinking Izzy gets this done more easily than he did with Costa.

Also TS, going into a fight without confidence is a very bad idea. Izzy's record and the reasons for him to be confident should be pretty obvious at this point and who knows what goes on in Izzy's gym, camps and mind to further bolster that confidence.

Last edited:
Jan is riding a shit ton of momentum and he's a natural LHW. I'm not sure if he has enough striking tools to catch Izzy or the footwork to position himself for the shots. I wanna say Izzy wins, but this isn't a kickboxing fight.

Jan will have the strength advantage and is a big guy himself. Izzy won't have a size advantage like he did at MW. I don't wanna underestimate Jan's ability to gameplan and grapple Izzy if need be. If he can grapple Izzy against the cage, I like his chances to land lethal blows.

Hes trying to beat Jan. Yeah. Or is doubt seeping into the stylesbender?

Gastelum messed up his Face and gave him his hardest fight to date, and Romero turned him into a Point Fighter after the first exchange, as someone who also favors Izzy to win, this couldn't be farther from the truth. He's looked far from invincible, and while he's had some amazing performances, his Striking Defense is still very much in question when it comes to this Match up. His speed, and reaction time are going to be the determining factor on whether not he gets slept. Izzy has to be perfect until he gets the TKO through volume and precise shot selection, Jan just needs to perfect when he lands.

Izzy is sort of the rightful favorite in my opinion but Jan can ABSOLUTELY knock him the fuck out.
The first points are MMA math. From the speed/reaction time onwards I agree with you

That polish power hype is such bullshit, dude had zero KOs in 11 UFC bouts before facing glasschin Rockhold and glassjaw Corey.

No his strategy was to press him and try to be the first to finish Romero in the UFC, that changed after Yoel connected. He switched to kicking and throwing punches from the outside and running away from Yoel every time Yoel would try to rush him. Basically focused on not engaging with Yoel and just trying to catch him with leg kicks and occasional punches from the outside. If he wasn't worried about Yoel's power he would've tried countering Yoel's rushes like he does vs other fighters, but he didn't.
Again, you're oversimplifying things. Even after Yoel connected, Adesanya was literally the only person initiating exchanges for the next two rounds after that. Yoel did not began to press forward until AFTER Mirgliotta told them to be more active going intothe 4th round (Yoel's worst round). And arguably Yoel was finding more success before that.

Izzy was pressing Yoel with plenty in rounds 2 and 3. Yoel simply wasn't biting on the feints, and defended the majority of Izzy's head attacks. But his strategy was merely to wait until Adesanya left himself open ir out of place and then counter him. He wasn't trying to force anything or create an opening the way Adesanya constantly was doing towards him.
Yoel isn't southpaw and Vettori took a round by grappling. Anderson and Kelvin style mattered more than there stance. They use feints and enter quick and throw combinations. Plus they have good timing and also know how to counter. The difference is they have high level boxing. That's what separates them and gave them success vs Adesanya.
Now I agree with everything you said here. People are really overstating the idea that Adesanya struggles against southpaws and it's a bit silly. It's more about the skills those opponents brought to the table that night. As you said, Vettori found a bit if success with wrestling. Anderson and Kelvin are both high level boxers in MMA amongst other things. However Yoel IS a southpaw and Adesanya didn't really struggle against Anderson. He judt cruised.

Again, you're oversimplifying things. Even after Yoel connected, Adesanya was literally the only person initiating exchanges for the next two rounds after that. Yoel did not began to press forward until AFTER Mirgliotta told them to be more active going intothe 4th round (Yoel's worst round). And arguably Yoel was finding more success before that.

Izzy was pressing Yoel with plenty in rounds 2 and 3. Yoel simply wasn't biting on the feints, and defended the majority of Izzy's head attacks. But his strategy was merely to wait until Adesanya left himself open ir out of place and then counter him. He wasn't trying to force anything or create an opening the way Adesanya constantly was doing towards him.

Now I agree with everything you said here. People are really overstating the idea that Adesanya struggles against southpaws and it's a bit silly. It's more about the skills those opponents brought to the table that night. As you said, Vettori found a bit if success with wrestling. Anderson and Kelvin are both high level boxers in MMA amongst other things. However Yoel IS a southpaw and Adesanya didn't really struggle against Anderson. He judt cruised.
I'm not over simplifying it, it's just that simple to analyze. Adesanya never pressed Yoel in that fight after Yoel connected. Yoel's power is the reason for that. Name other fights where Adesanya is turning his back and running as much as he did in the Yoel fight. There is a reason he was fighting like that compared to the way he fights everyone else. I'm not an Adesanya fan or hater, it's just very easy for me to analyze why he fought that way compared to his usual fighting style.

It doesn't matter when Yoel started pressing forward, point is he was the one pressing forward and Adesanya stopped pressing forward once he felt Yoel's power. You may think it's oversimplifying but many just overcomplicate things that's actually very simple. Not much happened in that fight, same techniques and range was used by Adesanya throughout the fight - so it's not a complicated fight to analyze.

I'm not over simplifying it, it's just that simple to analyze. Adesanya never pressed Yoel in that fight after Yoel connected. Yoel's power is the reason for that. Name other fights where Adesanya is turning his back and running as much as he did in the Yoel fight. There is a reason he was fighting like that compared to the way he fights everyone else. I'm not an Adesanya fan or hater, it's just very easy for me to analyze why he fought that way compared to his usual fighting style.

It doesn't matter when Yoel started pressing forward, point is he was the one pressing forward and Adesanya stopped pressing forward once he felt Yoel's power. You may think it's oversimplifying but many just overcomplicate things that's actually very simple. Not much happened in that fight, same techniques and range was used by Adesanya throughout the fight - so it's not a complicated fight to analyze.
Honestly have you ever even watched the fight back??? Yoel connected in the middle of round one. With Adesanya's CLEARLY impaired, Yoel did absolutely NOTHING.

For the next two rounds, Adesanya was working his normal game, throwing feints, coming forward, and looking for angles to attack Romero rather than right down the center line. Adesanya initiated EVERY exchange in rounds 2 and 3, AFTER Yoel connected on him in round 1. So how was it the "power" of Yoel as you say??? Adesanya already knew he had power.

So you basically agree that Adesanya has good striking in MMA and is very elusive. And your argument is just that Jan is a big guy and Adesanyaa can't deal with the power of Jan. If Izzy can deal with Rumble's power, he can deal with Jan's. Plus Rumble's a lot faster. There's a video of Rumble talking on sparring Izzy by the way. He said Izzy was kicking his ass in the standup (like we can see in the video).

Jan can win, but like I said, he needs to keep putting pressure, stay close, use wrestling/clinching and make the fight dirty. Otherwise, he's going to get outworked and beaten up from the outside.
Yes I agree Adesanya's style is suited for mma, probably more so than pure kickboxing. Adesanya can handle his power, but it can put him out. Adesanya knows this himself and that's why he fights the way he does vs fighters with KO power. His chin isn't his strongest attribute, it's good but not great. He is still susceptible to KOs and gets rocked by heavy strikes.

Yes I've seen the video with Rumble. But Adesanya even said he didn't want to get hit with those bombs and knew it would be a problem if he did. Adesanya will use his speed, skill, and movement to win the fight. If he does get clipped though Adesanaya will be in trouble, especially if Jan is able to capitalize on it. 5 rounds is a long time, remember Kelvin almost TKO Adesanya in a 5 round fight. If Jan does find himself trapping Adesanya against the cage or catching him on the inside by pressuring him that would give Adesanya problems as well. His losses in Glory were fighters pressuring forward and not letting Adesanya fight at long range. They never let him really set and Adesanya was always on the back foot trying to avoid fighting on the inside. That's a hole in his game/style that he may not have fixed yet. He just likes to throw the combination he used vs Whittaker and Costa (which is also the same combo that KO him) in that range then reset and keeping distance on the outside.

Honestly have you ever even watched the fight back??? Yoel connected in the middle of round one. With Adesanya's CLEARLY impaired, Yoel did absolutely NOTHING.

For the next two rounds, Adesanya was working his normal game, throwing feints, coming forward, and looking for angles to attack Romero rather than right down the center line. Adesanya initiated EVERY exchange in rounds 2 and 3, AFTER Yoel connected on him in round 1. So how was it the "power" of Yoel as you say??? Adesanya already knew he had power.
I've watched the fight enough times to analyze Yoel's and Adesanya's game. You clearly don't understand the differences in Adesanya's fighting style if you think he fought Yoel the same as everyone else. You are missing a whole lot of details. Go back and actually analyze the techniques and strategies he uses vs other fighters and compare them to the Yoel fight. Pay attention to the range, pay attention to see if he is back peddling or moving forward. Pay attention if he is countering or running away from strikes. It'll help you better understand that fight, and other fights better. Will also help you better understand Adesanya's fighting style and you should be able to tell the difference in his fighting style vs certain fighters. Right now your analyzing game just isn't at that level yet. But it's ok, most aren't at that level either.

Yes I agree Adesanya's style is suited for mma, probably more so than pure kickboxing. Adesanya can handle his power, but it can put him out. Adesanya knows this himself and that's why he fights the way he does vs fighters with KO power. His chin isn't his strongest attribute, it's good but not great. He is still susceptible to KOs and gets rocked by heavy strikes.

Yes I've seen the video with Rumble. But Adesanya even said he didn't want to get hit with those bombs and knew it would be a problem if he did. Adesanya will use his speed, skill, and movement to win the fight. If he does get clipped though Adesanaya will be in trouble, especially if Jan is able to capitalize on it. 5 rounds is a long time, remember Kelvin almost TKO Adesanya in a 5 round fight. If Jan does find himself trapping Adesanya against the cage or catching him on the inside by pressuring him that would give Adesanya problems as well. His losses in Glory were fighters pressuring forward and not letting Adesanya fight at long range. They never let him really set and Adesanya was always on the back foot trying to avoid fighting on the inside. That's a hole in his game/style that he may not have fixed yet. He just likes to throw the combination he used vs Whittaker and Costa (which is also the same combo that KO him) in that range then reset and keeping distance on the outside.
Other than Pereira, no one has knocked him out. And he fought a number of good kickboxers, that probably punch a bit harder than Jan. Not seeing how he's more susceptible to getting knocked out than others. By that standard, you can say that about anyone. Gastelum caught him and rocked him good. But Gastelum's fast. Jan isn't.

We kind of agree though on the approach Jan should take. Jan can definitely KO him, if he catches him. But it's not that easy and Adesanya can take a shot.

What fighter who's seemed almost untouchable his last few fights should think that he can't win a fight 20 pounds up? A lot of these guys are incredibly confident. If you fight for a living at that level, you more than likely have to be.
Agreed. You have to be confident and somewhat a little deluded. That's why you see when fighters lose, they make up a bunch of excuses whether to it's internally , behind close doors or privately.

As a fighter , it's really hard to accept another guy is better than you so sometimes, guys start making up shit. Sometimes it helps.

Then there's another side is where guys accept the loss, accept someone's better and fall into a deep depression and pretty much give up or they're not the same fighter. I feel for those guys.

One loss can change everything for a fighter. It's not like losing a game of tic tac toe

Last edited:
Other than Pereira, no one has knocked him out. And he fought a number of good kickboxers, that probably punch a bit harder than Jan. Not seeing how he's more susceptible to getting knocked out than others. By that standard, you can say that about anyone. Gastelum caught him and rocked him good. But Gastelum's fast. Jan isn't.

We kind of agree though on the approach Jan should take. Jan can definitely KO him, if he catches him. But it's not that easy and Adesanya can take a shot.
It's because he has been KO and rocked before. So he is susceptible to it by power strikers. The problem is them being able to connect. Most can't connect or can't take advantage after they do connect. I can tell the way he reacts to hard strikes and how it affects him, he completely disengages. He does that instinctively to protect him from getting KO. That's also why he avoids fighting on the inside.

I agree with you, seems like a shocking match up in general, legit LHW with the power to go with it and he's not a big draw yet. I feel like Izzy sees something that makes him think it will be an easy fight.
I don't think Izzy is underestimating Jan the same way the public and his peers are. Is it an easier fight than jon? Yes. Is it an easy fight? No I don't think he thinks that. I also don't think he wants to be hit by Jan. I definitely see him respecting Jan's power.

He's not underestimating Jan the way reyes did .

Because Izzy has beaten up a lot of bigger/taller fighters (in striking). And Jan is not exactly some high level wrestler. It's basically going to be a striking match mostly.

Here's a clip of a younger Adesanya barely in his MMA career putting a striking clinic on 205 Rumble Johnson

Rumble started throwing with intent, hahahahahah

Izzy is an out fighter (he fights out of range) and he has reach on Jan.

I'd say his toughest fights are going to be against long and tall opponents like Gustaffson, Jon Jones etc.

As he won't be able to fight from the outside like he is used to.

Jan needs to close the distance , or will get picked apart like Costa and then try close the distance in a stupid way and get stopped.

Gastelum had the best success but from the Inside, and I don't think Izzy will make that mistake again

He's probably confident because he's a UFC champion with a 20-0 record.

Back