Just watched Joanna jedrzejczyk vs Claudia Gadelha 2 for the first time on fight pass WOW

Yeah that was...weird. I'm sure Claudia could beat up some men around her size but a 250 pound athlete who was a state champion wrestler and one of the greatest linebackers of all time? C'mon Eddie. Lol
Well, I mean, the "men" around her size are like 14 years old, so there's that.

Probably the best WMMA match ever in terms of being the total package:

- great storyline
- two even matched competitors who are the top of their division
- classic clash-of-styles theme
- multiple momentum shifts
- pro wrestling-esque spots
- vintage Joanna striking showcase

About the only wrinkle to the whole thing was Claudia being all salty in the end and rebuffing Joanna's attempts at reconciliation. If they had patched things up like all good squabbling babyfaces do after a brutal war, it would've been perfect.

Last edited:
Easily the 2 best female fighters skillwise
Probably the best WMMA match ever in terms of being the total package:

- great storyline
- two even matched competitors who are the top of their division
- classic clash-of-styles theme
- multiple momentum shifts
- pro wrestling-esque spots
- vintage Joanna striking showcase

About the only wrinkle to the whole thing was Claudia being all salty in the end and rebuffing Joanna's attempts at reconciliation. If they had patched things up like all good squabbling babyfaces do after a brutal war, it would've been perfect.

Agreed. Especially skillwise easily the best female mma fight ever.
If only Gadelha's gastank would keep up. Maybe she's better suited for 125?

Not sure why this fight is so popular.
Gadelha dominated the first 2 rounds but didn't do anything with it, then gassed and turned into a punching bag.
Not very impressive performance from either fighter.
JJ couldn't do shit until Claudia was gassed and got dropped by a jab seconds in the fight and Gadelha fought at a pace she couldn't keep up with and didn't fight very smart overall.

I have to agree. It was a good fight, but not great. It went from being completely one-sided for two rounds, to being terribly one-sided for the other fighter the last three rounds. Penne vs. Waterson was a better fight, and ended in a finish.

If the fight was three round only Claudia would have won.

Yes. I had been telling people in the lead up to this fight that Claudia had missed her best chance to beat Joanna when she failed to do it in the first fight when she only had to go 3 rounds. I said that because Claudia's gas-tank has long been considered poor. This gas-tank problem has been generally attributed to her extreme weight cut to make 115, and her camp has experimented with different weight cut procedures to try to make this less of a problem for her.

I was amazed that Claudia had been telling interviewers, before this second fight with Joanna, that she expected to get more dominant as the fight got to later rounds. Claudia cited the first fight with Joanna and that the judges had all scored her winning round 3. The reason I didn't buy that story was that, the way I saw it, Claudia had already been gassing in that first fight before the fight had been temporarily stopped to deal with a bloody cut Claudia got due to a clash of heads (Claudia's fault, by the way). Claudia looked to me to be very much refreshed by that temporary stoppage, and I thought that was the only reason why she wasn't gassing too much to be able to win round 3 in that first fight.

Last edited:
Claudia is the only threat to her in the division but doesn't have the gas tank to go 5 rounds.

6DbZahu.gif

I had the impression that the UFC intentionally made Joanna look like a bully and poured gasoline on the conflict between the girls to hype the fight... not cool.

i thought so as well, but it kinda seemed like they were trying to sewer her to the benefit of making claudia the "good guy".

we all know that the ufc and specifically dana would never prefer one fighter over another, but i certainly had the impression that they were wanting JJ to come across like a childish bully... but why???

In hindsight (it being 20/20) they should have put her on 200. That fight was one of the highlights of the entire weekend which all in all should have been better than it turned out to be.

I thought JJ vs Claudia was the best big fight of that weekend. The top two fighters in the weight class, a champ being down and having to come back. What's better than that?

Too many fans only care about the big names. They want to see the circus fights like Lesnar/Hunt and DC/Silva then invariably get disappointed when they turn out to be shit. Those two fights ended up being some of the worst fights on UFC 200 I've said before if you took those two fights off the main card and put the 3 fight pass fights on the main, it would have been a great event.

It was an amazing performance but those stats they put up during the fight were grossly inaccurate.

Definitely a fight I rewatched a few times. Joanna got tagged right away, found herself on her back early a few times, but fought through it.

Damm goodnight, Joanna got stonger as fight went on

Definitely a fight I rewatched a few times. Joanna got tagged right away, found herself on her back early a few times, but fought through it.

Damm goodnight, Joanna got stonger as fight went on

I wouldn't say she got stronger. Gadelha just got weaker.

It was a decent fight, but nothing special at all.

It was a phenomenal performance by joanna.

Many people doubted her, but she showed up, fought through adversity and fought her fight the whole way.

Only the haters doubted her. And I don't think they actually doubted her. They were just praying Claudia would get lucky.

Claudia talked shit since their last fight and got beat up this time. No split decision bullshit. Though IIRC Claudia thought she won the third round in that second fight. That's absolute lunacy.

Only the haters doubted her. And I don't think they actually doubted her. They were just praying Claudia would get lucky.

Claudia talked shit since their last fight and got beat up this time. No split decision bullshit. Though IIRC Claudia thought she won the third round in that second fight. That's absolute lunacy.
Honestly, even if she did win the 3rd round she got 10-8'd in the last 2 rounds and lost either way.

claudia should have been shown the door for that god awful dry humping. How on earth someone can be satisfied preforming like that is baffling.

Yeah im just gonna go out there and exploit the rules and cling on to someone like a barnacle and hope i can keep that up for five rounds. shit like that is precisely whats killing the sport imo.

Not very impressive performance from either fighter.

I see it as exactly the opposite. Both fighters had the opportunity to show off what they do best and demonstrate why they are the #1 and #2 most formidable women strawweights in the world.

The fight also had the element of a comeback win, which is always fun.

Back