Just watched Jamie Varner vs James Krause..... F**king disgraceful

Is a ref allowed to stop and restart a fight due to a suspected injury that occured because of a legal strike?

I'm not gonna blame the ref on this one... how many times have we seen fighters limping all over the place after getting leg kicks. How's the ref supposed to know he broke his ankle? Varner was still fighting back throwing hard punches and going for TD's. What if next time, a fighter takes a leg kick and buckles his knee and he limps back a little bit... do you want the ref to stop all momentum and have a doc come in?

If anything, Varner's corner should've done something but then again, as a fighter do you want your corner stopping the fight for you? What happened sucks, but Varner tried his best to go out with a win before the round was over. Cant blame anyone on this.

A lot of fuck ups in that fight, Jamie, ref, corner, judges.. I mean even Krause said he knew it was broken so he could have pointed it out to the ref.

Then I wonder how he got his job in the first place. He needs to get his eyesight checked or something

Just like the Browne vs Bigfoot fight, Varner was still aggressively fighting. This was nothing like the Cote/Anderson fight, where Cote completely crumbles under his own injuries. The ref sees it as long the fighter can fight and defend themselves, why not let them fight

He is the guy that needs to protect his fighter. Yeah it's tough, yeah the fighter might get mad, well tough shit, the cornerman has a responsibility to protect his fighter

More the job of the ref. Hell, if a fighter picks you to be in his corner, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt unless he is taking the beating of a lifetime.

I was wondering why he didn't stop the fight. The was nasty seeing his ankle twist under his weight when he'd try to stand. The corner too.

I don't agree with refs being punished for mistakes. There will be mistakes if you're a ref. It's a hard job. You can't see from every angle. There was no excuse for last night though.

Varner was fighting through it like a wounded animal. He never once showed even a glimpse of pain or being out. It was honestly awesome.

Really bad thing was after the fight when Varner said he couldn't continue his ankle was broke,ref asks him to come to middle of the octagon for the decision,are you fucking kidding me?

giphy.gif

The ref should have stopped the fight imo. Varner couldn't give up the fight because he knew it was probably his last chance to stay in the UFC so he couldn't give up. But you know he was fucked once his ankle went out, even Krause seemed to not go full out on Varner because he was feeling bad about it.

It was the refs job to stop it so he wouldn't risk permanent damage like someone said, that could have caused irreversible injury.

Then I wonder how he got his job in the first place. He needs to get his eyesight checked or something

Its not that simple man, the fighters job is basically on the line. But fair enough the refs are only there for the safety aspect. Which they seem to be doing a horrible job unless someone gets ko'd.

I also thought Yves was horribly late to notice Henderson was choked out

I understand the ref not wanting to take the fight away from Varner (especially as he seemed able to intelligently defend himself) but it probably should have fallen under the "rescuing the fighter from his own toughness" category. Like every time Kampmann gets TKO'd standing.

I totally agree. Varner couldn't walk. How the hell was he going to win?!

Back