Just watched Jamie Varner vs James Krause..... F**king disgraceful

wowspare

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The ref have stopped the fight to let the doctors assess Jamie's ankle. The ref's primary role is to protect the fighters' safety. Jason Herzog should be fired or at least be given a punishment.

This is a major problem with referees. There is NO repercussion for fucking up. When a fighter fucks up, all hell breaks lose and piss rains down on him. But if you're a ref, you have nothing to fear. You can make as many mistakes as you want cus nothings gonna happen to you.

Jamie's cornermen were just dumb as well. There's no getting around it. This is even worse than JDS' corner letting JDS fight Cain into the fifth round. Coaches in MMA really need to change their mindset and realize that this isn't a toughman contest.

The referees and cornermen are be responsible for the fighters' safety because most fighters are too stubborn for their own good. In boxing, most cornermen are smart enough to know when their fighters have no chance of winning.

The trend in MMA seems to be that the majority of coaches aren't objective enough to know when to give up. As a fighter you may have the mentality of going out on your shield but your referees and cornermen should know better.

That ankle injury's probably gonna take a hell of a long time to recover fully. Jamie's gonna be out for a long time. And for what? Pretty sure Jamie's got bills to pay, he has to make a living. The next year or so is gonna suck for him.

I have an ankle reco I need to get because there's no ligaments left in my ankle. If I don't tape it good and proper when I train it pretty much does what Varner's ankle was doing. Zero stability. It's horrible. That was the first MMA fight I have genuinely had trouble watching. Varner is a warrior. And yes after it collapsed for the third time the ref probably should have stopped it.

I was wondering why he didn't stop the fight. The was nasty seeing his ankle twist under his weight when he'd try to stand. The corner too.

I don't agree with refs being punished for mistakes. There will be mistakes if you're a ref. It's a hard job. You can't see from every angle. There was no excuse for last night though.

It's not always that simple emotionally. Trainers get a deep bond with their fighters. If the fighter wants to continue, who is he to tell him to stop?

It just depends on the relationship.

EDIT: Pardon me I thought you were talking about corner-men for some reason. Yeah, with you on the ref.

Maybe Jamie should have said something sooner or tap out. Can't put all the blame on the ref.

Varner's corner is more at fault on this one when it comes to injuries such as that.

I think it should have been stopped.

But that said, I didn't see how bad that ankle was until the replays, before that it looked like he might just not want to put weigh on it instead of completely folding underneath his leg.

its easy to say all that now - if the ref had stopped the fight, you could also expect varner to complain about it and everyone to say that ref needs to be replaced - the mob doesnt want to see the fight stopped and the onus is left on the fighter - its an individual sport and blame would be thrown around aggressively if anyone else made the decision

This was kind of a last chance fight for Varner, a loss pretty much meant he would be cut from the UFC which I why I can understand his corner not throwing in the towel and letting him make the decision himself. The ref probably should have stopped it and at least taken a look at the ankle and seen if he could even stand on it.

Add to that, the reason that he isn't going to get cut from the UFC is because he showed so much heart trying to fight on a fucked leg, so take it as you will.

I agree that it was bad and his team or the ref should have stopped the fight. But JDS could have suffered permanent brain damage and end up like Magomed Abdusalamov.

The fighter's corner and the ref need to know when the fighter cannot go on. MMA has been regarded as a safer sport than boxing/KB due to the 10-count, but this doesn't help.

Varner's corner is more at fault on this one when it comes to injuries such as that.

How so? They are unable to throw in the towel and cannot force the ref to act. Herzog screwed up big, it was clear Varner shouldn't have been fighting.

That said, Varner was incredibly brave and did his best to finish and still get the win, I'll bet the pain he was in would have been excruciating. Amazing show of courage.

Jamie Varner may be the toughest dude I've ever seen. Throwing bombs, and even taking Krause down, with a completely shattered ankle and hipster haircut.

Someone should have called this off, though. He could easily have some permanent damage to that ankle with how many times he rolled it over after it broke. Fighters can't be expected back down under any circumstance while in the cage so one of the dozens of officials should have the presence of mind to make sure the guy doesn't irreparably fuck himself up. Missed call.

I agree but it's all hindsight. If he would've found a desperation finish we'd be talking about how tough he was for sticking it out and winning and praising the ref for letting it go on and not screwing him, and so on and so forth. It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

The ref probably didn't realized at the time how bad the ankle was. Probably thought Varner got a Charlie Horse from the very first low kick and was just still dealing with the effect and recuperating from it... And besides, Varner was still doing decently good. Thought the ref took the right choice in giving Varner the chance to last til the end of the round.

The ref have stopped the fight to let the doctors assess Jamie's ankle. The ref's primary role is to protect the fighters' safety. Jason Herzog should be fired or at least be given a punishment.

This is a major problem with referees. There is NO repercussion for fucking up. When a fighter fucks up, all hell breaks lose and piss rains down on him. But if you're a ref, you have nothing to fear. You can make as many mistakes as you want cus nothings gonna happen to you.

Jamie's cornermen were just dumb as well. There's no getting around it. This is even worse than JDS' corner letting JDS fight Cain into the fifth round. Coaches in MMA really need to change their mindset and realize that this isn't a toughman contest.

The referees and cornermen are be responsible for the fighters' safety because most fighters are too stubborn for their own good. In boxing, most cornermen are smart enough to know when their fighters have no chance of winning.

The trend in MMA seems to be that the majority of coaches aren't objective enough to know when to give up. As a fighter you may have the mentality of going out on your shield but your referees and cornermen should know better.

That ankle injury's probably gonna take a hell of a long time to recover fully. Jamie's gonna be out for a long time. And for what? Pretty sure Jamie's got bills to pay, he has to make a living. The next year or so is gonna suck for him.

Dude 100% agree ... it was sickening how this moron of a ref didn't stop the fight ... i was wishing that Varner just ask the fight to be stopped ... his ankle folding like that was making me wince ... just a fucking warrior man

The ref probably didn't realized at the time how bad the ankle was. Probably thought Varner a got Charlie Horse from the very first low kick and was just still dealing with the effect and recuperating from it... And besides, Varner was still doing decently good. Thought the ref took the right choice in giving Varner the chance to last til the end of the round.

Then I wonder how he got his job in the first place. He needs to get his eyesight checked or something

Jamie Varner may be the toughest dude I've ever seen.

Talk about things I never thought I would see on this forum.

I remember the days when Varner was widely thought of as having no heart, a mountain of excuses, and always looking for a way out.

Times can change pretty fast. lol

Jamie didn't scream or say anything. The ref likely assumed Jamie was having balance issues outside of an injury. Most people at least make some motion toward the injury or exclaim.

Back