Just watched Jamie Varner vs James Krause..... F**king disgraceful

Fuck the ref stopping the fight, I thought it was absolutely moronic that his corner didn't stop the fight. All those additional rolls of the ankle where completely unnecessary, and would have definitely done a lot more damage to that foot, which will most likely keep him on the side-line for a more significant amount of time.

Reminds me of when Ed Herman shredded his knee in the first round against Aaron Simpson. His corner sent him out for the second round, and he threw one kick and wrecked his knee even more. He then spent nearly two years out re-habbing it.

Fighters don't get paid shit. And this madness drastically reduces their ability to get paid. Use your brain people.

I find it impossible to believe anyone would have called that an early stoppage. The first time he turned it, fair enough. The second, he should probably have stopped it. But by the third it was flat out criminal that it wasn't stopped- Varner didn't want to pussy out, but his ankle was an absolute wreck, he clearly couldn't put any weight at all on it and was crumpling everywhere.

The ref should be fired, that was an incompetent showing that made for uncomfortable viewing. Props to Varner for his toughness, but he should never ever have had to go through it.

Fuck the ref stopping the fight, I thought it was absolutely moronic that his corner didn't stop the fight. All those additional rolls of the ankle where completely unnecessary, and would have definitely done a lot more damage to that foot, which will most likely keep him on the side-line for a more significant amount of time.

Reminds me of when Ed Herman shredded his knee in the first round against Aaron Simpson. His corner sent him out for the second round, and he threw one kick and wrecked his knee even more. He then spent nearly two years out re-habbing it.

Fighters don't get paid shit. And this madness drastically reduces their ability to get paid. Use your brain people.

I actually don't think the corner CAN throw in the towel mid-fight, they're not allowed to throw anything into the octagon.

^^^

Haha yeah I read title, got all hot and bothered, and posted without reviewing the entire thread.

That said, I'm pretty sure if a corner threw in the towel the ref would instinctually stop the fight. It's a time-honoured part of fight sports. Hell, if you throw in the towel your fighter might even get DQ'd

for all you guys know varner (and I'm sure s lot of other fighters tell the refs ore fight not to stop it under any circumstances except being unconscious

for all you guys know varner (and I'm sure s lot of other fighters tell the refs ore fight not to stop it under any circumstances except being unconscious

That is not a fighters decision. All fighters would say that, but it's the refs job to preserve a fighters safety, because you can't fucking trust them to do it themselves when their money and careers are potentially on the line.

The UFC is still a business, and they need to protect their employees well-being- both for the fighters and their own marketability.

Smh People want to blame ref's for everything. What happens if a figther breaks his hand in a fight and can't throw a right cross? We stop that too? If Varner ko'd his opponent we would be praising the ref for letting it continue.

Smh People want to blame ref's for everything. What happens if a figther breaks his hand in a fight and can't throw a right cross? We stop that too? If Varner ko'd his opponent we would be praising the ref for letting it continue.

Come on, broken hands are a) a lot harder to spot and b) a lot easier to work around.

If you don't see the difference in a broken ankle vs a broken hand, then there is no hope. A broken ankle is actually severely endangering the fighter, because their defence is pulled to pieces- they're a walking target for brain damage.

It's not always that simple emotionally. Trainers get a deep bond with their fighters. If the fighter wants to continue, who is he to tell him to stop?

It just depends on the relationship.

EDIT: Pardon me I thought you were talking about corner-men for some reason. Yeah, with you on the ref.

He is the guy that needs to protect his fighter. Yeah it's tough, yeah the fighter might get mad, well tough shit, the cornerman has a responsibility to protect his fighter

its easy to say all that now - if the ref had stopped the fight, you could also expect varner to complain about it and everyone to say that ref needs to be replaced - the mob doesnt want to see the fight stopped and the onus is left on the fighter - its an individual sport and blame would be thrown around aggressively if anyone else made the decision

The onus is not on the fighter; are you kidding?? No one wants to be the 'pussy fighter' that 'gave up' The onus is on the referee first and foremost. The cornermen also need to protect their fighter as well; cornernmen should know when their fighter is done.

Jamie never said anything about it and his corner didn't throw in the towel thus the ref did nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned.

what the cornermen and fighter do in that context is irrelevant to what is actually happening in the fight. The ref could and should have at least paused the fight.

I didn't see the ankle until the replays. I saw him collapse but I thought he ate a very hard leg kick and that gave him a dead leg so to speak.

You could see even Krause was tentative when he thought about kicking the leg he saw Jamie buckling on. He threw a few snapping kicks, but somehow I felt he wasn't throwing them with nearly as much bad intentions as he could've.

There is NO repercussion for fucking up. When a fighter fucks up, all hell breaks lose and piss rains down on him. But if you're a ref, you have nothing to fear. You can make as many mistakes as you want cus nothings gonna happen to you.

He was hired by the gummint. There are never repercussions for gummint employees fucking up.

I was thinking to myself why is his leg spending around doing 360s?

Something is clearly blown out.

Ref should have check, corner should have stopped.

Wouldn't be shocked if he had slot more injuries than just a broke ankle, the leg was doing some awkward shit.

I knew immediately his ankle or leg was hurt and it became more obvious as the round continued, how could the ref not see it? He should at least be bumped down to lesser fights or whatever the hell they do to discipline refs.

I actually never had an issue with jds corner letting him fight into the 5th, if he'd of pulled the ko or the sub attempt at the end we would all of been praising them, and even if he hadnt we would of criticised them for robbing him of his chance

Back