Just watched Conors 2 losses and get the feeling Nate can submit him.

I just watched anderson silva's early losses and feel like demian maia can sub him.

Duh. Maia is a submission genius. Maia is a submission artist that submits Mundial and ADCC champions and blackbelts. Anderson Silva isn't a strong fighter who can outmuscle him on the ground. He would get subbed for sure.

*edit*
Oops wait I understand what you meant now sorry my bad.

A submission win is definitely the best plan for Diaz in my opinion.

We all know Nate got this gig because Khabib, Alvarez and Ferguson are good wrestlers. Nate is arguably the worst wrestler in the top 10, possibly the worst wrestler of his generation at lightweight.

So there won't be any Chad Mendes style take downs. Nate doesn't have the technique or physicality to get him down with a single or double of any variant. He has some pretty sleek judo, especially against the cage.

I'd say Nate would do good pulling out some judo when its least expected - we all know Nate wants to brawl, so he may use the element of surprise to his advantage. The other option is take some super sloppy shots to lock up, get reversed and land Conor in his guard.

Nate hasn't been sparring and is coming off the couch, I don't think we see the same level of cardio we saw against Johnson and others. He isn't going to win by swarming late, and I think he gets KO'd dead if they stand and exchange long enough. Conor has unforgiving power and only needs to land one. He's sharp and well prepared and Diaz is on late notice.

Getting to the ground by any means will be a huge factor in Nate having a real chance to stop Conor. Easier said than done.
Conor was going to fight RDA so I don't buy anything in that second paragraph, and Khabib and Ferguson have a fight signed that they should focus on.Would've been a disaster to put Khabib in there with a chance he would pull out yet again, and like Dana said, they gave that fight to Fox so it's a done deal.

Pettis, Alvarez and Cerrone are the ones that made themselves available right? Cerrone who got blown out by RDA inside a round, Pettis who has been extremely cautious in his last couple of fights and Alvarez who is a self proclaimed point fighter now and who made some stupid comments publicly about holding Nate down for 25 minutes :p why would you give a main event to a guy who is going to spoil, and I don't mean spoil Mcgregor's party.

I don't deny that they might have ducked all of them but I also think there is enough reasons to not pick them, and there is other factors too like Nate just beat the guy that decisioned Ferguson easily

I don't know man. He's a Brown Belt in BJJ now, so it's going to be a lot different. I would base it on how well he did against Mendes. Mendes had great top control and was able to do very well against Conor.

Young Pacman had early KO losses too.

Nate will shock the world!
The world? Or just Connor fans? I won't be shocked if Nate wins, I am giving him a decent chance at beating him. Connor's biggest weapon is his confidence, and Nate's invincible to that. If Nate can weather the 1st rd, than his chance of peppering Connor with his usual barrage of light/heavy jabs and hooks will be something Connor has never faced. If it makes it into 3rd and 4th round, I can see a Diaz combo setting up a trip where Diaz takes him down and submits him.

See holloway fight for conors top game, remember that mendes couldnt sub conor with his pride and joy guillotine submission, and then come back and talk

Couple of things here.

1. Mendes has 21 fights and only 2 submission wins, and has only 1 guillotine, just because Faber is good at that submission doesn't mean Mendes is.

2. Jujitsu is more than just submissions, a lot of people might not know it but at one time Mendes was considered one of the most boring fightes in MMA because all he did was take people down and stay in their guard, when he fought Conor he was passing it like it a hot knife through butter. Mendes is not a great jujitsu guy and in no way is his fight with Conor indicative of what this fight will be.

Yea...the UFC is protecting Conor from all of the scary wrestlers. Nate got the fight because he would sell the most PPVs on such short notice. Had Alvarez not put everyone to sleep with his win over Pettis and fought a bit more like he has in the past, his name would have definitely been in the running.
I do agree that Nate has a chance to sub Conor...but I don't see how thos fight goes to the floor. Nate is going to be eating kicks for about a round and a half before he gets dropped at the end of the 2nd.

You are suspending disbelief if you think Nate got the gig for any reason other than he wasn't going to wrestle Conor. Khabib, Ferguson and Alvarez would all wrestle him.

Conor answered the call of history and stepped up to challenge the 155lbs champion. He asked for the toughest fight possible, but it fell through.

The backup plan was not 'what is the second toughest fight' because the criteria changed. Diaz is arguably the worst wrestler of his generation at lightweight and one of the best matchups for Conor. I don't know why some people have a problem accepting that.

This is a very fun holding fight until they re-book him with RDA.

Conor was going to fight RDA so I don't buy anything in that second paragraph, and Khabib and Ferguson have a fight signed that they should focus on.Would've been a disaster to put Khabib in there with a chance he would pull out yet again, and like Dana said, they gave that fight to Fox so it's a done deal.

Pettis, Alvarez and Cerrone are the ones that made themselves available right? Cerrone who got blown out by RDA inside a round, Pettis who has been extremely cautious in his last couple of fights and Alvarez who is a self proclaimed point fighter now and who made some stupid comments publicly about holding Nate down for 25 minutes :p why would you give a main event to a guy who is going to spoil, and I don't mean spoil Mcgregor's party.

I don't deny that they might have ducked all of them but I also think there is enough reasons to not pick them, and there is other factors too like Nate just beat the guy that decisioned Ferguson easily

You are lying to yourself if you think Khabib, Ferguson and Alvarez wouldn't sign for this fight, and weren't specifically kept away because they are wrestlers.

Nate Diaz is probably the best matchup for Conor in the top 10, and he is demonstrably the worst wrestler of his peers. Maybe the worst lightweight wrestler of his generation.

RDA was the toughest fight possible, and that is what Conor asked for. When it dropped out, along with the belt, they gave him a very fun holding fight that matches up well for him. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that decision.

I just realized that the last time Conor got subbed, is actually around the same time RDA got subbed.

Yet no one thinks RDA would lose to Guida or Tibau again.

Five years is a VERY long time in MMA. While Diaz has very slick subs, using a loss Conor had more than 5 years ago as an example is bad form.

Nate can out box him or submit him. This is MMA, anything can happen.

Will he? Doubtful.

If I was Nate I would focus on BJJ than my standup.

Both losses were relatively quick- both 1st rd submissions, and neither Duffy or Sitenkov are anywhere near Nate in terms of BJJ skill.

I see Nate winning by submission but not as quickly as the other 2 did just because I see him wanting to stand and trade with Conor. I feel Conor will end up landing better strikes and late into fight, probably round 3 or 4 , that Nate will go for a submission and secure the victory.

dude you joined teusday and have 84 posts? aint got time to read....them all.

Brandao is a 2nd degree BB.. he is no slouch. Trying to see who his teacher is but that kind of info is hard to find usually.
aye well ty for looking, and I am also curious.

obviously Brandao doesn't have the toughness of Diaz but I'm sure he'd be competitive with him in a BJJ contest

Yes because nates all american wrestling skills will no doubt get the fight to the mat

The world? Or just Connor fans? I won't be shocked if Nate wins, I am giving him a decent chance at beating him. Connor's biggest weapon is his confidence, and Nate's invincible to that. If Nate can weather the 1st rd, than his chance of peppering Connor with his usual barrage of light/heavy jabs and hooks will be something Connor has never faced. If it makes it into 3rd and 4th round, I can see a Diaz combo setting up a trip where Diaz takes him down and submits him.
I hope you are right because I want to see Nate win this 1.

i think Nate has the best chance of winning if he can utilize his BJJ..but I think nate will stand and bang...he is not very well known for take downs...but if and a big "IF" Nate decides to do the same thing to Conor what Eddie alvarez did to Pettis...it is going to be interesting and boring at the same time

Nate should have a big ground advantage. But not sure how he gets it there. His subs normally come from guys trying to take him down as they bail on the striking. I've never seen Nate shoot on someone and I don't see Conor ever looking to clinch where Nate could go for a trip. I think this will be a stand up war.

Nate has pulled off plenty of TD's from the clinch with trips/hip tosses, and he can also pull guard. I said from the beginning that IF Nate wins, I can only see it happening via submission. To a much a lesser degree I think it possible to out point Conor to a UD, but I don't think it's very probable though.

Nate has pulled off plenty of TD's from the clinch with trips/hip tosses, and he can also pull guard. I said from the beginning that IF Nate wins, I can only see it happening via submission. To a much a lesser degree I think it possible to out point Conor to a UD, but I don't think it's very probable though.
But even the trips are normally when the other guy closed the distance trying to get a reprieve from the pressure because they were getting lit up on their feet.

I have seen him do things like take a guys back standing or back him into the cage off his punches and clinch if the guy gives up a bad position and work the trip from a body lock but I really can't recall him ever looking to grapple first.

I am not saying it can't happen, but getting it to the ground is not his strong suit. If either Diaz could wrestle at all they'd be almost impossible to beat. And Nate at least uses his BBJ where Nick rarely does. But I think it is going to take a mistake by Conor. I don't see Nate being able to just impose his will to get Conor down. But I hope I'm wrong.

Back