just started bjj

Jr1788

White Belt
Reaction score
I started training about 2 weeks ago and am loving it so far. Sore as hell, but its the most fun I've had working out ever. my last 3 classes started involving mount, guard, side mount and submission techniques, my first 3 were all stand up techniques and learning proper form to roll. Anyways, here is my issue. In these last 3 classes, I've been doing the techniques with 3 different partners, and I'm not a small guy, about 6'2" 270. so I've been pretty polite in terms of how much force i use when I'm mounting, or trying to pass guard to not injure anyone. 1 of my partners was fine with it, because he said his back has been injured, but the other 2 kept on getting mad for being too polite, and told me to make them as uncomfortable as possible. but i dont wanna be the douche in class that injures people while practicing, nor do i wanna gas out before i can really learn. Is there a general guideline as when to be polite with technique, and when to use more effort? Going slow is good, simply because I pay attention to all the nuances in the technique, and i notice it when i am rolling with the 2 other dudes, but in a tourney or any situation, going slow wont really work too well. any info is appreciated.

Your doing fine sounds like you have good judgement, just train alot and you will get to know the appropriate times to go hard. But when a guy asks for the real deal, train real.

do I need a cup or mouthpiece when I train..I start classes here in July and ordered a gi...but dont know if I need the other 2 for rolling/practice or not??

i havent used a mouthpiece or cup. but i've only done like 6 classes in 2 weeks, so I dont think i'm the definitive person you should listen to. I know of 1 dude that told me its a decent idea to buy a cup, but no one in the academy I attend uses mouthpieces. I think the gi, lots of water and a good attitude are all you need. I dont know how your school trains, but mine is on a syllabus/curriculum with about 12 beginner classes, so I wont need a cup for another few weeks, if even then.

You might want to wear a cup for competition, you dont want to lose an armbar or a triangle because of your groin do you?

do I need a cup or mouthpiece when I train..I start classes here in July and ordered a gi...but dont know if I need the other 2 for rolling/practice or not??

I use a mouth piece every time I roll. I think its a good idea to get one because I've been kneed in the face a few times and I think the mouthpiece has saved me some dental work. I use a cup sometimes but a lot of guys don't wear them because they're kind of uncomfortable and sometimes if it shifts while rolling it can actually hurt worse if you take a shot in that area.

me too just started, im entering my 3rd week, im 6'1 220 lbs.. im pretty polite with the force i use as well, ill make sure the guy is okay too i dont want to hurt anyone. The one thing im worried about is ever since i started ive only learned from my back, being in someones guard and sparring starting on my knees, what about stand up? will it come later? i should probably be asking my instructor this lol.

me too just started, im entering my 3rd week, im 6'1 220 lbs.. im pretty polite with the force i use as well, ill make sure the guy is okay too i dont want to hurt anyone. The one thing im worried about is ever since i started ive only learned from my back, being in someones guard and sparring starting on my knees, what about stand up? will it come later? i should probably be asking my instructor this lol.

I'm sure youre standup will come soon enough. my class is done on a schedule so I have to do 12 classes to enter the class, and each one is structured really specifically.
My first class was just learning to shoulder roll, back falls, hip escape and standup technique, which was probably the hardest class, I was dizzy after doing shoulder rolls for like 20 minutes.

My second class was understanding and maintaining base a standing cross choke and hand pull escapes,

and my third was clinching, and single leg takedown trapping the leg.

in the last 3 classes, however, i've learned the upa/bridge, guard pass, side control, achieing mount, armbar from mount, cross choke from mount, and started doing that whole cycle at full speed with a resisting partner. so I'm sure you'll do stand up. I'm doing throws next week 1 day and then twice in 2 weeks, then I'm officially part of the class:icon_chee

what school do you go to btw? I live near the bay area and train at Crosley Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy

I started training about 2 weeks ago and am loving it so far. Sore as hell, but its the most fun I've had working out ever. my last 3 classes started involving mount, guard, side mount and submission techniques, my first 3 were all stand up techniques and learning proper form to roll. Anyways, here is my issue. In these last 3 classes, I've been doing the techniques with 3 different partners, and I'm not a small guy, about 6'2" 270. so I've been pretty polite in terms of how much force i use when I'm mounting, or trying to pass guard to not injure anyone. 1 of my partners was fine with it, because he said his back has been injured, but the other 2 kept on getting mad for being too polite, and told me to make them as uncomfortable as possible. but i dont wanna be the douche in class that injures people while practicing, nor do i wanna gas out before i can really learn. Is there a general guideline as when to be polite with technique, and when to use more effort? Going slow is good, simply because I pay attention to all the nuances in the technique, and i notice it when i am rolling with the 2 other dudes, but in a tourney or any situation, going slow wont really work too well. any info is appreciated.

You are a valuable training partner with your size and weight. The best thing you can do is before rolling tell your opponent to let you know if the pressure it too great and if you should lighten up. People need to learn to deal with full pressure from someone no matter how big or strong they are. For beginners it's a little better for them to push to the limit but only to a point that they can adjust and develop.

Think of it like building up pain tolerance.

If you are just crushing people they will take longer to acclimate and you might just start using that as your go to strategy which will be good for you at first but I think will be a detriment later on.

You can still apply the techniques/positions in a controlled manner while applying good pressure. There's a big difference in someone who is a spaz and goes totally @ss wild, and someone who knows how to use their weight and use proper body positioning. If it's an issue with your smaller training partners, just work bottom positions with those guys.

I would get a cup and a mouthpiece to be on the safe side. There have been instances where new guys learning to pass the guard accidentally knee you in the balls (with all of their weight). I am grateful I wore a cup a few weeks ago when a guy that weighs 225lb put his knee on my nuts! As for the mouthpiece, they are cheap...it's definitely not worth losing a few teeth from an accident during training.

I'm sure youre standup will come soon enough. my class is done on a schedule so I have to do 12 classes to enter the class, and each one is structured really specifically.
My first class was just learning to shoulder roll, back falls, hip escape and standup technique, which was probably the hardest class, I was dizzy after doing shoulder rolls for like 20 minutes.

My second class was understanding and maintaining base a standing cross choke and hand pull escapes,

and my third was clinching, and single leg takedown trapping the leg.

in the last 3 classes, however, i've learned the upa/bridge, guard pass, side control, achieing mount, armbar from mount, cross choke from mount, and started doing that whole cycle at full speed with a resisting partner. so I'm sure you'll do stand up. I'm doing throws next week 1 day and then twice in 2 weeks, then I'm officially part of the class:icon_chee

what school do you go to btw? I live near the bay area and train at Crosley Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy

Im learning what everyone else is, i dont think its structured.
I train at Peninsula Jiu Jitsu, Marco Nascimento's place.

Im learning what everyone else is, i dont think its structured.
I train at Peninsula Jiu Jitsu, Marco Nascimento's place.

dope dope. its kinda hard to focus on learning some of the beginner things I'm learning while the class is doing other techniques, This week they were learning the De La Riva guard, and it is not as fun when I'm on the receiving end of drills, and then when we switch positions with partners I just work on guard passes, but I know it's essential to learn the basics before anything.

yup, im trying to learn the basics.. i pay alot of attention to my instructor and the older guys who've been studying jiu jitsu forever. Do you plan on competing in the future?

yup, im trying to learn the basics.. i pay alot of attention to my instructor and the older guys who've been studying jiu jitsu forever. Do you plan on competing in the future?

yeah actually I do. Like ummm the Gracie Open is in August so I want to try competing then for the first time, but I dont know if I'll be like prepared enough. But I definitely want to compete as often as possible. what about you?

yeah competing is definitely in my future plans.. thats the only way to really get better and rank up. But right now im not ready at all.. maybe in 3-6 months.

I also just started bjj recently. Been to about 3 classes now. I was wondering if it's normal to scrape the skin off your feet/toes a lot? My left foot has scabs all over it now and I don't know what to do next class because I know they will open up again.

i wear wrestling shoes always so i havent experienced that.. but it did happen to my knees the first day, i believe its from the mat.. mat rash/burn.

only thing i can think of... neosporin and take a few days off?

yeah i got mat burn on the top of my foot and it looks like some guy ran his nail down my big toe 'cause its cut deep. i saw guys wearing tape on their feet...is that the normal way to go about it?

Back