just started bjj

To answer a few questions here;

When you're that big, and a beginner, it really depends on the skill level of your opponent, I mean, if they are a lot more experienced than you, I think you should be trying to apply pressure with your weight as much as possible, that will give them a good opportunity to try implementing their techniques with the weight disadvantage, and in order for them to work, they have to be perfect. When a technique is perfectly used, size shouldn't be that much of an issue. (Exceptions being triangles and other submissions where locking them in is impossible with too much of a size disadvantage.) Against someone with your amount of experience, or less, I think that it would be a good idea not to crush them, and to try using as much technique as possible. I mean, still apply the pressure required to lock down a position, I mean, that's part of the technique, but don't use your weight just because you are heavier.

About the cup and mouthguard, I think that wearing a cup is a matter of preference during training, although I do recommend it, as you WILL be kneed in the groin through the course of your training, kneed, and there might be pressure applied there when the opponent is passing, or using other techniques that surround that area. For competition, I think it's absolutely vital, as it will provide some leeway in the amount of security required to finish a submission, for example, with a cup, you can finish an armbar that's close to the groin that you wouldn't be able to finish without the cup, so even though it's not as secure as it would be with the arm away from the groin, it could still be finished. So in that case, not having a cup could cost you the fight. As for mouthguards, get one. I can't even count the number of times that I've accidentally kneed in the jaw, or banged my head against a shoulder while sprawling improperly. (that was just once :D.) If you value your teeth, it would be a good idea to have a GOOD mouthguard. The bad ones can restrict breathing, and be uncomfortable, so you don't want one of those. If you want to avoid pain and suffering, it would be a good idea to get both :icon_chee.

Also, for the scraping of the skin on the foot, that's completely normal, it's called matburn, it doesn't mean that you are doing anything incorrectly, you can get it from any sort of motion that would move your foot along the mat quickly, such as shooting. That, and the possibility of obtaining cauliflower ear are things that happen to grapplers. There are ways of preventing it, like taping up the foot, or wearing wrestling shoes, but I do neither, as I feel uncomfortable in either (Wrestling shoes make feet easier to footlock :D.).

Oh, and everyone should cut their toenails and fingernails for sanitary purposes, you shouldn't be cut by them, it's dangerous, because a lot of infections can be caused, as underneath the fingernail there is a lot of dirt, and when it cuts, that dirt can enter the bloodstream.

so I had my first class after posting this thread today, and I took the advice I've received. When we rolled at the end of class, I rolled with 4 partners for 3 minutes each, and the first 2 were smaller than me, and I didnt exert too much force, and focused on refining everything that I've learned, and then the last 2 were about my size, i think the last dude, might be a bit bigger, and we went at it HARD. The last guy was a blue belt, and I doubt he went balls out, but it was still hard, but I wasn't completely gassed after those sessions only after the last one. I just conserved my energy when I needed to, and tried hard to pass the guard and get off the mount and to try getting a submission. the blue belt actually complemented me and said I stood active the entire time and was happy I didnt give up 1 minute in.:icon_chee I was pretty happy after that. I got a few pointers from everyone, and was happy as hell. Now, I'm sore as hell. lol

sorry for the double post, but how long was it before you guys all did your first competition? Like 2 or 3 months or longer?

If they get injured its usually because they made a mistake not you. Relax and keep it reasonable

With me...it was 7 months until my first tournament, I won silver, going 4-1, I was disappointed with the loss, because it was my fault for not capitalizing on the other guy's mistake, but that's in the past now :). I think with that amount of training, you can go into a tournament and expect good results from yourself. You want to have good results in your first tournament I think, it sets the stage for all of your other fights, and causes you to have good confidence for the tournaments afterwards. Don't compete after like 3 months, the people I've fought that have done that have gotten crushed. As they usually would by the more experienced guys.

do I need a cup or mouthpiece when I train..I start classes here in July and ordered a gi...but dont know if I need the other 2 for rolling/practice or not??

I use a mouthpiece sometimes, but don't really bother with the cup.

Back