Media Just rewatched Whittaker/Romero 2. Pure savagery in the late rounds.

Phisher

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score

I still don't understand how this fight wasn't scored a draw, but hats off to both guys for being insanely tough.

]I still don't understand how this fight wasn't scored a draw, but hats off to both guys for being insanely tough.

You realize that Whittaker had a broken hand right?

Just think about that. Whittaker had a broken hand for at least the last 2 rounds AND STILL managed to pull out the win. If Whittaker never broke his hand, he would have finished Romero. The right man won the fight.

Edit: All of you morons that think Romero won the fight, or that it should have been a draw, need to wake up. This picture SAYS IT ALL. Whittaker won rounds 1,2 and 4 very clearly:

DfTpaDCX4AEKuFm.jpg

Maybe you feel that round 5 was 10-8 for Romero, but it wasn't.
None of the judges gave him a 10-8 round. The only logical decision is 48-47 for Whittaker. We can't score the "fight as a whole". Round by round scoring clearly dictates Whittaker winning. Accept it.

Last edited:
It's a shame that Robert Whittaker isn't the international superstar he deserves to be.

Round 3 was a classic. After getting dropped and bombs layed on him whittaker fires back with hellbows, spinning shit and headkicks. Crazy fight. I had a draw as well.

Just think about that. Whittaker had a broken hand for at least the last 2 rounds AND STILL managed to pull out the win. If Whittaker never broke his hand, he would have finished Romero. The right man won the fight.
We cant really think about what could have happened if circumstances were different because we simply dont know. Only how the fight actually played out. Fighting with essentially one hand is impressive though

This is a bizarre hypothetical considering that he broke his hand trying to finish Romero and that Romero never looked seriously hurt despite all of the damage that he took.

Last edited:

While that's just the way the cookie crumbles and shouldn't affect the judging, it is absurdly impressive. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Whittaker broke his hand in the first round.

So he fought Romero for four rounds with a broken hand. And the first time he fought him with a fucked knee.

It was such a close fight but I think the right guy won. Upon first watch it looks like Whittaker was in a lot more terrible than he was. He got hurt, obviously, but I don't think he was ever actually that close to being finished.

Regardless, Whittaker is an absolute beast.

Such bad logic...smh
He could have...he should have....therefore he is.
IMO, Romero won, but Whittaker is a tough SOB, and this was close.

So basically you don't understand how corruption works (ts)?

It's pretty easy, if there is money to be made, then it will be made through whatever shady means possible. That's UFC's m. o

You always hear about Whittaker's bitching excuses why he didn't look dominant against Yoel, never that Yoel had his damaged orbital bone break from a glancing jab and shut his right eyesight up, that few months ago he fought Luke who messed his leg up(and his own, leading Luke into a lengthy recovery). Whittaker wanted a stationary target, he got one, yet he did nothing substantial except getting that orbital to break. Two men gone in there, Yoel looked the one dishing out the can of whoopass of the two.

Last edited:
So basically you don't understand how corruption works (ts)?

It's pretty easy, if there is money to be made, then it will be made through whatever shady means possible. That's UFC's m. o
Romero is a way bigger draw than RW. Everyone knows that. Thats why Sherdog hates him because he doesn't talk shit to promote fights.

You always hear about Whittaker bitching excuses why he didn't look dominant against Yoel, never that Yoel had a weak orbital bone break from a jab and shut his right eye sight up, that few months ago he fought Luke who fucked his leg up(and his own, leading Luke into a lengthy recovery). Whittaker wanted a stationary target, he got one, yet he did nothing substantial except getting an orbital to break. Two men gone in there, and Yoel looked like the one who was dishing out the can of whoopass.
hahahahahaha wow

You don't know that and I doubt it would have happened either. Your opinion isn't fact.

Romero is a way bigger draw than RW. Everyone knows that. Thats why Sherdog hates him because he doesn't talk shit to promote fights.
Can they hold ufcs in Cuba though? No? How about in Australia? Yup. See where I'm going with this, both are equally marketable but one of them have a valuable market behind them the ufc can exploit.

You can't judge based on a broken hand.

That fight was brutal. So much respect for both athletes.

romero got a TS off of missing weight to someone whos not even in the division now and losing to the same guy in a title fight 1 opponent before.

Can they hold ufcs in Cuba though? No? How about in Australia? Yup. See where I'm going with this, both are equally marketable but one of them have a valuable market behind them the ufc can exploit.
Totally agree in that but Romero is a bigger draw. It was a close fight, even if Yoel won there would have to be a rematch because there was no title due to he missed weight. Its done and some Yoel fans need to take the loss like a man and move on. No one can change history.

I score it a draw. It's also the best middleweight fight ever.

Back