Just ReWatched UFC 196 McGregor vs Diaz(The Real Breakdown)

The Young Wolf

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So pretty much everyone makes these after they've rewatched fights trying to give some grand insight that's never been said before so I'm not going to do that. I'm going to give you a real as unbiased as possible review oh what I just rewatched. I'm a fan of Conors but I've also been a fan of Diaz and his brother since Nate was on TUF. "Stockton motherf*cker"
Sucks I have to preface the post like that though cause seriously most of the Conor Haters on this board get really hostile to anyone who likes his style and self belief. I know it rubs some people the wrong way but Christ.

First round:
So with all the said lets get into how the fight started. The first two minutes were the fighters just feeling themselves, Trying to gauge distance and pick shot selection. Conor threw some swinging punches a lot and Diaz made him miss.

Around the 3 minute mark the Fight starts to open up. Both men are landing, Diaz evades some shots but Conor lands aswell. But it wasn't until midway through the 2 minutes left on the clock when Conor starting landing big. Getting some nice shots in on Nate's face even cutting him open with a swiping left. I can see were Conor is coming from when he feels like he had Diaz hurt a bit in the end of the first. Conor was really popping him from the 2 minute mark until the end of the round. Diaz is still making him miss a lot, uses the clinch after Conor's spinning kicks that never seemed to really bother Diaz. If Conor goes with more traditional kicking shot selection but keeps low knee kicks and throwing some front kicks to Nates body he could have chances to score while keeping distance. Nate should be more sharp compared to the first fight though with his full camp. For all we know Nate's defense might be even better making it harder for Conor to land.

Between rounds it's pretty obvious Conor is already having some trouble catching his breath from the first and is already showing signs of fatigue. Now this can be attributed to multiple different things. Could be Conor has shit cardio, Could be Conor wasn't used to eating so much up to 170 to fight Nate after thinking he was fighting at 155 ten days out, Could be what Firas said idk. I do know he was clearly taking big breaths trying to recover.

The second round:
With the start Conor comes right out the gate and pushing the pace trying to out Diaz away early. I feel like Conor had to be aware he needed to put Diaz away soon or things might go bad for him. This is were Diaz deserves credit cause he didn't fold. He took some really hard shots and banged it out. All heart no denying it. It wasn't until 3:02 on the clock did Diaz land some Stockton slaps and start really landing. Between this time and 2:22 it was back and forth but Diaz slightly ahead. At the 2:22 point the first "1-2" bomb was dropped on Conor. Clearly Nate caught on the Chin and had him dazed. It really wasn't until this point did Diaz' volume really increase. I know the fight metric stats are thrown out there by haters to claim Conor got out box but it's deceiving. Nate landed MANY of his shots from the time he initially hurt Conor to the time the landed the second 1-2. Between the clock time of 2:22 until 1:16 Diaz was crushing Conor with the jab and was teeing off. At 1:16 Diaz landed the other big 1-2 which caused Conor to shot for the TD. The fight ends quickly after that.

Afterthoughts:
In retrospect the fight barely took place on the ground and the 30 or less seconds it was in the second Conor was already dazed. Hard to really take away anything of substance to draw conclusions about Conors BJJ. Nate gets most of his subs this way. Fatigue for whatever reason definitely caused the fight to turn to diaz' favor. Conor can win the rematch and so can Nate. The first fight was a fun one regardless. So much action and a bloodly brawl. This fight as 2 million plus views on YouTube. Crazy.

Rematch Prediction:
Conor has been talking a lot how he has been obessed with this rematch. First time around I don't think he took Diaz to seriously. There were a lot of contributing factors to the first fight that I don't think play out the same way making the rematch an entirely new fight. Conor has known for months he is fighting Diaz at 170. Training just for Nate. Again I dont know what was up with Conor's cardio but if he can go atleast 4 rounds at a solid pace he can get the TKO. The majority of the gifs everyone loves to post is from 3 minute mark or below in the second. That's when Diaz started winning. With a better shot selection and cardio Conor can put Nate away. Nates tough as fuck but he's beatable.

Honestly tried to keep it as real as possible most will hate this or say TL;dr but yeah. Just my view on the fight. thanks for those that actually read.

Last edited:
Want to take you serious, but, sound not off?

Cmon son.

I pretty much agree with what you said. Conor is most likely to win the rematch.

I pretty much agree with what you said. Conor is most likely to win the rematch.
Nate will have his chances but I don't think Nate takes this to the ground. He will want to stand and bang with Conor and this is where Conor wants to be anyway. It only goes to the round if Conor tries to take it there or Diaz just counters a kick.

If Conor is just slightly more accurate in the fight really picking his shots Diaz could go down.

I love how many rewatch threads Sherdog has. LMAO! Well, good job. Just read the conlcusion though. HAHA! :p

So pretty much everyone makes these after they've rewatched fights trying to give some grand insight that's never been said before so I'm not going to do that. I'm going to give you a real as unbiased as possible review oh what I just rewatched. I'm a fan of Conors but I've also been a fan of Diaz and his brother since Nate was on TUF. "Stockton motherf*cker"
Sucks I have to preface the post like that though cause seriously most of the Conor Haters on this board get really hostile to anyone who likes his style and self belief. I know it rubs some people the wrong way but Christ.

First round:
So with all the said lets get into how the fight started. The first two minutes were the fighters just feeling themselves, Trying to gauge distance and pick shot selection. Conor threw some swinging punches a lot and Diaz made him miss.

Around the 3 minute mark the Fight starts to open up. Both men are landing, Diaz evades some shots but Conor lands aswell. But it wasn't until midway through the 2 minutes left on the clock when Conor starting landing big. Getting some nice shots in on Nate's face even cutting him open with a swiping left. I can see were Conor is coming from when he feels like he had Diaz hurt a bit in the end of the first. Conor was really popping him from the 2 minute mark until the end of the round. Diaz is still making him miss a lot, uses the clinch after Conor's spinning kicks that never seemed to really bother Diaz. If Conor goes with more traditional kicking shot selection but keeps low knee kicks and throwing some front kicks to Nates body he could have chances to score while keeping distance. Nate should be more sharp compared to the first fight though with his full camp. For all we know Nate's defense might be even better making it harder for Conor to land.

Between rounds it's pretty obvious Conor is already having some trouble catching his breath from the first and is already showing signs of fatigue. Now this can be attributed to multiple different things. Could be Conor has shit cardio, Could be Conor wasn't used to eating so much up to 170 to fight Nate after thinking he was fighting at 155 ten days out, Could be what Firas said idk. I do know he was clearly taking big breaths trying to recover.

The second round:
With the start Conor comes right out the gate and pushing the pace trying to out Diaz away early. I feel like Conor had to be aware he needed to put Diaz away soon or things might go bad for him. This is were Diaz deserves credit cause he didn't fold. He took some really hard shots and banged it out. All heart no denying it. It wasn't until 3:02 on the clock did Diaz land some Stockton slaps and start really landing. Between this time and 2:22 it was back and forth but Diaz slightly ahead. At the 2:22 point the first "1-2" bomb was dropped on Conor. Clearly Nate caught on the Chin and had him dazed. It really wasn't until this point did Diaz' volume really increase. I know the fight metric stats are thrown out there by haters to claim Conor got out box but it's deceiving. Nate landed MANY of his shots from the time he initially hurt Conor to the time the landed the second 1-2. Between the clock time of 2:22 until 1:16 Diaz was crushing Conor with the jab and was teeing off. At 1:16 Diaz landed the other big 1-2 which caused Conor to shot for the TD. The fight ends quickly after that.

Afterthoughts:
In retrospect the fight barely took place on the ground and the 30 or less seconds it was in the second Conor was already dazed. Hard to really take away anything of substance to draw conclusions about Conors BJJ. Nate gets most of his subs this way. Fatigue for whatever reason definitely caused the fight to turn to diaz' favor. Conor can win the rematch and so can Nate. The first fight was a fun one regardless. So much action and a bloodly brawl. This fight as 2 million plus views on YouTube. Crazy.

Rematch Prediction:
Conor has been talking a lot how he has been obessed with this rematch. First time around I don't think he took Diaz to seriously. There were a lot of contributing factors to the first fight that I don't think play out the same way making the rematch an entirely new fight. Conor has known for months he is fighting Diaz at 170. Training just for Nate. Again I dont know what was up with Conor's cardio but if he can go atleast 4 rounds at a solid pace he can get the TKO. The majority of the gifs everyone loves to post is from 3 minute mark or below in the second. That's when Diaz started winning. With a better shot selection and cardio Conor can put Nate away. Nates tough as fuck but he's beatable.

Honestly tried to keep it as real as possible most will hate this or say TL;dr but yeah. Just my view on the fight. thanks for those that actually read.
yep, I agree and am looking forward to the fight.

Conor whupped dat ass. He showed he was the markedly better fighter before all dat muscle and weight drown him. See the Holloway fight for a tuned up, humble, in shape Conor. The issue is, Diaz has phenomenal boxing defense and can stop Conor's kill shot. Can Conor put him away and stop Diaz from finding his rhythm? If Diaz gets that 1-2 going, it's over.....goodnite Irene. We shall find out. But anyone that says Conor did not box up dat ass like nothing we have ever seen vs Diaz is an absolute fool hater.

A subtle Conor nutthugger. How original.

His MMA BJJ is mediocre. Diaz and Duffy are much better doesnt mean hes the worst. He still got up and KOD Mendes and dominated Holloway even on the mat. I think Conor McGregor is very Talented no one ever KOd Aldo like that and i can see either one of them winning.
="Reach4theSky, post: 120078743, member: 103055"]Conor has 3 losses as a pro, all by sub.[/QUOTE]

Nate is the experienced Fighter. He's the better boxer. He's seen what Conor has to offer but Conor hasn't seen Nate at best. Nate will beat him I believe. And one more thing towards the end of the first Nate was doing well. You completely missed that out.

Good post ts. I don't necessarily agree with everything you wrote and it's clear you're a Conor fan, which I'm not, but you tried to be as unbiased as possible which is commendable in these parts.

favorite part of that fight was right before the 2nd starts conor excplaims he can 'go all day...all day long'.

iwas only able to hear it on the fightpass vid not the youtube upload.

What's this garbage? unbiased my butt.

favorite part of that fight was right before the 2nd starts conor excplaims he can 'go all day...all day long'.

iwas only able to hear it on the fightpass vid not the youtube upload.
Saw it live and on the rewatch. He ate those words

The reason I don't take Conor fans and their fatigue bullshit is because it's bullshit.

These are pro fighters, high level ones at that in their respectable Primes.

Conor gassed because he was missing a majority of his shots and he was being hit back. A tendency which has shown itself plenty of times before. Especially in the Mendes fight.

You just don't gas dictating the fight, that's ridiculous considering you're going at the pace you're most comfortable at because you're dictating it.

There is nothing hard to get about the way that fight went. It amazes me how many you goobers make these analysis threads.

The reason I don't take Conor fans and their fatigue bullshit is because it's bullshit.

These are pro fighters, high level ones at that in their respectable Primes.

Conor gassed because he was missing a majority of his shots and he was being hit back. A tendency which has shown itself plenty of times before. Especially in the Mendes fight.

You just don't gas dictating the fight, that's ridiculous considering you're going at the pace you're most comfortable at because you're dictating it.
Pretty ignorant post and ignoring multiple factors which could cause Conor to gas.

I get you don't like him and want to have this narrative about the fight to confirm your bias but he was legit fatiguing at the end of the first into the second. For whatever that is idk I'm not trying to say. But it wasn't solely because Nate made Conor miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back