Just ReWatched UFC 196 McGregor vs Diaz(The Real Breakdown)

People forget how hard Conor blasted Nate in the 2nd round. Seriously, it was worse than the 1st in my mind.

but if Nate can just eat those shots I mean I don't understand how the fuck he isn't going to take over by the 4th or 5th round.

That chin is ridiculous. Conor is right he's like Homer Simpson. I bet that will fuck with his head if he's not rightfully mentally prepared which he definitely may not be. Either way it may not matter. Triathlon athletes are for real.

o
So pretty much everyone makes these after they've rewatched fights trying to give some grand insight that's never been said before so I'm not going to do that. I'm going to give you a real as unbiased as possible review oh what I just rewatched. I'm a fan of Conors but I've also been a fan of Diaz and his brother since Nate was on TUF. "Stockton motherf*cker"
Sucks I have to preface the post like that though cause seriously most of the Conor Haters on this board get really hostile to anyone who likes his style and self belief. I know it rubs some people the wrong way but Christ.

First round:
So with all the said lets get into how the fight started. The first two minutes were the fighters just feeling themselves, Trying to gauge distance and pick shot selection. Conor threw some swinging punches a lot and Diaz made him miss.

Around the 3 minute mark the Fight starts to open up. Both men are landing, Diaz evades some shots but Conor lands aswell. But it wasn't until midway through the 2 minutes left on the clock when Conor starting landing big. Getting some nice shots in on Nate's face even cutting him open with a swiping left. I can see were Conor is coming from when he feels like he had Diaz hurt a bit in the end of the first. Conor was really popping him from the 2 minute mark until the end of the round. Diaz is still making him miss a lot, uses the clinch after Conor's spinning kicks that never seemed to really bother Diaz. If Conor goes with more traditional kicking shot selection but keeps low knee kicks and throwing some front kicks to Nates body he could have chances to score while keeping distance. Nate should be more sharp compared to the first fight though with his full camp. For all we know Nate's defense might be even better making it harder for Conor to land.

Between rounds it's pretty obvious Conor is already having some trouble catching his breath from the first and is already showing signs of fatigue. Now this can be attributed to multiple different things. Could be Conor has shit cardio, Could be Conor wasn't used to eating so much up to 170 to fight Nate after thinking he was fighting at 155 ten days out, Could be what Firas said idk. I do know he was clearly taking big breaths trying to recover.

The second round:
With the start Conor comes right out the gate and pushing the pace trying to out Diaz away early. I feel like Conor had to be aware he needed to put Diaz away soon or things might go bad for him. This is were Diaz deserves credit cause he didn't fold. He took some really hard shots and banged it out. All heart no denying it. It wasn't until 3:02 on the clock did Diaz land some Stockton slaps and start really landing. Between this time and 2:22 it was back and forth but Diaz slightly ahead. At the 2:22 point the first "1-2" bomb was dropped on Conor. Clearly Nate caught on the Chin and had him dazed. It really wasn't until this point did Diaz' volume really increase. I know the fight metric stats are thrown out there by haters to claim Conor got out box but it's deceiving. Nate landed MANY of his shots from the time he initially hurt Conor to the time the landed the second 1-2. Between the clock time of 2:22 until 1:16 Diaz was crushing Conor with the jab and was teeing off. At 1:16 Diaz landed the other big 1-2 which caused Conor to shot for the TD. The fight ends quickly after that.

Afterthoughts:
In retrospect the fight barely took place on the ground and the 30 or less seconds it was in the second Conor was already dazed. Hard to really take away anything of substance to draw conclusions about Conors BJJ. Nate gets most of his subs this way. Fatigue for whatever reason definitely caused the fight to turn to diaz' favor. Conor can win the rematch and so can Nate. The first fight was a fun one regardless. So much action and a bloodly brawl. This fight as 2 million plus views on YouTube. Crazy.

Rematch Prediction:
Conor has been talking a lot how he has been obessed with this rematch. First time around I don't think he took Diaz to seriously. There were a lot of contributing factors to the first fight that I don't think play out the same way making the rematch an entirely new fight. Conor has known for months he is fighting Diaz at 170. Training just for Nate. Again I dont know what was up with Conor's cardio but if he can go atleast 4 rounds at a solid pace he can get the TKO. The majority of the gifs everyone loves to post is from 3 minute mark or below in the second. That's when Diaz started winning. With a better shot selection and cardio Conor can put Nate away. Nates tough as fuck but he's beatable.

Honestly tried to keep it as real as possible most will hate this or say TL;dr but yeah. Just my view on the fight. thanks for those that actually read.

good breakdown, i think Conor needs to move around and not trade shots with Diaz personally. Pull a Condit, I think he has too much pride to do it, but I wont be suprised if he ran around and used leg kicks which people think he doesnt know just because he's never had to use them.

The "real" breakdown...and I'm the "real" black sheep
i-m-the-real-black-sheep-o.gif

o

good breakdown, i think Conor needs to move around and not trade shots with Diaz personally. Pull a Condit, I think he has too much pride to do it, but I wont be suprised if he ran around and used leg kicks which people think he doesnt know just because he's never had to use them.

Agreed. Conor needs to take the first second or 3rd round off I think. As in pretty completely. Pull a Nate in a way. He can use his highly aggressive full power style but he's going to have to compromise for a 5 round fight in some way. He knows this i'm sure he has a plan. I personally think Conor is the slightest of favorites as in 55/45.

I actually bet this goes to decision because I really believe Conor is very smart.

but rooting for Nate because 209 wut.

Agreed. Conor needs to take the first second or 3rd round off I think. As in pretty completely. Pull a Nate in a way. He can use his highly aggressive full power style but he's going to have to compromise for a 5 round fight in some way. He knows this i'm sure he has a plan. I personally think Conor is the slightest of favorites as in 55/45.

I actually bet this goes to decision because I really believe Conor is very smart.

but rooting for Nate because 209 wut.
same here dude i been with diaz brothers since the start, now out of a sudden everyone loves them it's funny. I root for diaz brothers every fight but the conor hate is so pathethic i almost wanna see clowns eat their words but NATE DIAZ ALL DAY BABY.

same here dude i been with diaz brothers since the start, now out of a sudden everyone loves them it's funny. I root for diaz brothers every fight but the conor hate is so pathethic i almost wanna see clowns eat their words but NATE DIAZ ALL DAY BABY.
Sherdog has mostly always hated the Diaz bros I havent noticed tide changing. I think they are just Conor haters which is dumb.

Conor is awesome and takes many risks and fights hyper aggressive. What's not to like? How dumb can you be.

I'll be happy and sad for both. I have to root for Nate, but i'll feel worse than I would for Conor losing than Nate.

I prefer McGregor but I just can't see him winning.

It's ridiculously hard to KO Nate, he's inferior on the feet and he can't wrestle him, nor can he chop at that lead leg as his style won't allow him to and he's not too good at them anyway. There's no chance he's going to win via submission and I doubt he can stick & move for 5 rounds with his suspect cardio.

It's just a nightmare stylistically but whatever though, Nate is cool too.

The fight should be awesome just like last time and I can't wait.

Sherdog has mostly always hated the Diaz bros I havent noticed tide changing. I think they are just Conor haters which is dumb.

Conor is awesome and takes many risks and fights hyper aggressive. What's not to like? How dumb can you be.

I'll be happy and sad for both. I have to root for Nate, but i'll feel worse than I would for Conor losing than Nate.
I want Nate to win but if Conor losses one of the most exciting people to ever come into this sport is pretty much crushed. Yeah theres nothing not to like about the way he fights, yet people hate him for no reason it makes no sense... I dont like some of the stuff he says but I been watching MMA since PRIDE days (Sakuraba is my original favorite fighter before Diaz bros) and this guy is really one of the most enjoyable fighters to watch.

Before that everyone used to say all Diaz bros do is whine, they always had a hardcore fan base, the type where if someone in the bar is a fan of them you know you can get along with that dude. Now everyone likes him, not a cult following no more lol...

I want Nate to win but if Conor losses one of the most exciting people to ever come into this sport is pretty much crushed. Yeah theres nothing not to like about the way he fights, yet people hate him for no reason it makes no sense... I dont like some of the stuff he says but I been watching MMA since PRIDE days (Sakuraba is my original favorite fighter before Diaz bros) and this guy is really one of the most enjoyable fighters to watch.

Plus he's the man. He challenged RDA who was a p4p powerhouse. He knocked out Aldo.

and the one that everyone hates on

he challenges the guy who just finished him at a weight he never fights at to a rematch. People have so much excuses for that bullshit but I think he feels he truly wants to avenge that loss in his heart. If he's mentally strong which he better be like 7000% he should be golden with the right gameplan.

So pretty much everyone makes these after they've rewatched fights trying to give some grand insight that's never been said before so I'm not going to do that. I'm going to give you a real as unbiased as possible review oh what I just rewatched. I'm a fan of Conors but I've also been a fan of Diaz and his brother since Nate was on TUF. "Stockton motherf*cker"
Sucks I have to preface the post like that though cause seriously most of the Conor Haters on this board get really hostile to anyone who likes his style and self belief. I know it rubs some people the wrong way but Christ.

First round:
So with all the said lets get into how the fight started. The first two minutes were the fighters just feeling themselves, Trying to gauge distance and pick shot selection. Conor threw some swinging punches a lot and Diaz made him miss.

Around the 3 minute mark the Fight starts to open up. Both men are landing, Diaz evades some shots but Conor lands aswell. But it wasn't until midway through the 2 minutes left on the clock when Conor starting landing big. Getting some nice shots in on Nate's face even cutting him open with a swiping left. I can see were Conor is coming from when he feels like he had Diaz hurt a bit in the end of the first. Conor was really popping him from the 2 minute mark until the end of the round. Diaz is still making him miss a lot, uses the clinch after Conor's spinning kicks that never seemed to really bother Diaz. If Conor goes with more traditional kicking shot selection but keeps low knee kicks and throwing some front kicks to Nates body he could have chances to score while keeping distance. Nate should be more sharp compared to the first fight though with his full camp. For all we know Nate's defense might be even better making it harder for Conor to land.

Between rounds it's pretty obvious Conor is already having some trouble catching his breath from the first and is already showing signs of fatigue. Now this can be attributed to multiple different things. Could be Conor has shit cardio, Could be Conor wasn't used to eating so much up to 170 to fight Nate after thinking he was fighting at 155 ten days out, Could be what Firas said idk. I do know he was clearly taking big breaths trying to recover.

The second round:
With the start Conor comes right out the gate and pushing the pace trying to out Diaz away early. I feel like Conor had to be aware he needed to put Diaz away soon or things might go bad for him. This is were Diaz deserves credit cause he didn't fold. He took some really hard shots and banged it out. All heart no denying it. It wasn't until 3:02 on the clock did Diaz land some Stockton slaps and start really landing. Between this time and 2:22 it was back and forth but Diaz slightly ahead. At the 2:22 point the first "1-2" bomb was dropped on Conor. Clearly Nate caught on the Chin and had him dazed. It really wasn't until this point did Diaz' volume really increase. I know the fight metric stats are thrown out there by haters to claim Conor got out box but it's deceiving. Nate landed MANY of his shots from the time he initially hurt Conor to the time the landed the second 1-2. Between the clock time of 2:22 until 1:16 Diaz was crushing Conor with the jab and was teeing off. At 1:16 Diaz landed the other big 1-2 which caused Conor to shot for the TD. The fight ends quickly after that.

Afterthoughts:
In retrospect the fight barely took place on the ground and the 30 or less seconds it was in the second Conor was already dazed. Hard to really take away anything of substance to draw conclusions about Conors BJJ. Nate gets most of his subs this way. Fatigue for whatever reason definitely caused the fight to turn to diaz' favor. Conor can win the rematch and so can Nate. The first fight was a fun one regardless. So much action and a bloodly brawl. This fight as 2 million plus views on YouTube. Crazy.

Rematch Prediction:
Conor has been talking a lot how he has been obessed with this rematch. First time around I don't think he took Diaz to seriously. There were a lot of contributing factors to the first fight that I don't think play out the same way making the rematch an entirely new fight. Conor has known for months he is fighting Diaz at 170. Training just for Nate. Again I dont know what was up with Conor's cardio but if he can go atleast 4 rounds at a solid pace he can get the TKO. The majority of the gifs everyone loves to post is from 3 minute mark or below in the second. That's when Diaz started winning. With a better shot selection and cardio Conor can put Nate away. Nates tough as fuck but he's beatable.

Honestly tried to keep it as real as possible most will hate this or say TL;dr but yeah. Just my view on the fight. thanks for those that actually read.

Im a fan of both guys, slightlty pulling for Conor but and think your veiw on the fight is good, cant debate small things here and there but for the most part is an accurate breakdown. Agree with what you said about Conor's cardio ect but one factor you have overlooked is that Diaz will have a full training camp now as well.

Yes Conor didnt prepare for Nate but at least he was preparing for a fight , Diaz was was on holiday just a few days before.

Conor has been talking a lot how he has been obessed with this rematch. First time around I don't think he took Diaz to seriously. Conor has known for months he is fighting Diaz at 170. Training just for Nate.
10 days notice.

How can you call this an accurate breakdown when you dont mention any of the ground action in the first round? Not the takedown, the scramble, Conor on top or Diaz getting ready to sweep for leglock at the bell. Or between rounds when both Kavanaugh and McGregor are loudly talking about how McGregor can go all day and is all recovered?

McGregor hit the most solid punches of the fight in the first half of the second round and you dont see him slow down until after he throws a spinning kick at around the 3min mark.

First round:

The second round:

Afterthoughts:

Rematch Prediction:

Hope Conor gets destroyed hate that guy.......he is the epitome of what is wrong with the UFC.

Hope Conor gets destroyed hate that guy.......he is the epitome of what is wrong with the UFC.
a guy thats exciting and comes to fight every fight. that demands more money for the fighters and not for danas greedy ass? Thats wrong with the ufc? gtfo lol blinded by hate.

I find it so funny how some believe Conor will win. He lost to Diaz who was fresh off the beach partying it up and only had a week to train for the fight. Conor knew he was fighting and got a full campaign in. I think it's going to go even worse for Conor this time.

First round:

The second round:

Afterthoughts:

Rematch Prediction:

remember TS, nate was on cabo with the drizzling shits partying. and took the fight on10 days notice

irish jabroni had a full camp for RDA.

McG might corrected thing but nate will have a full camp and his striking will be on point.

I find it so funny how some believe Conor will win. He lost to Diaz who was fresh off the beach partying it up and only had a week to train for the fight. Conor knew he was fighting and got a full campaign in. I think it's going to go even worse for Conor this time.

i hope so.

Nate didn't make him miss. Conor was just swinging pretty wildly, and most of the punches that actually hit Nate, he rolled with them. That's a big reason Nate can take shots like he does and still stand up straight. Throw a kick at him and it's a different story though.

Back